FDA Deeming Regulation - What we know so far

Here we are fighting for our right to vape and then this...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/19/health/exploding-vaporizer-rip-tongue-trnd/index.html

I can't tell what battery he has/had or what he had for a build on his Mech Mod, but I can guess it was carelessness. I'm sure the FDA will this as evidence that they need to go back to 2007 equipment. I think what makes me the most angry about this is this was "Just a Hobby" and he wants to "Warn all the Kids to think twice"... It is all about the "Kids" right? facepalm2.gif

14 minutes ago, Compenstine said:

At least some are getting it right (Skip survey to view full article)

http://us.blastingnews.com/opinion/2016/05/pardon-the-intrusion-america-please-keep-smoking-00934239.html

Nice to see some facts begin reported, unfortunately, this article probably won't be seen by the millions of people who need to read it. Thanks for the link, Comp. 

We know what's going to happen, right?  As soon as they have successfully carried out this coo and decimated the ecig industry as we know it, we will suddenly start seeing reports about the virtues of vaping, the new test results, the "studies now show" articles.  

Chris, I'm sorry, I'm late coming to the forums on this, and I couldn't find the information myself, and only going by what my sister told me that she claimed her new BFF, the owners of "the third largest wholesaler in the nation", that started out as a B&M just two months before we started vaping....anyway, is it true that a) all juice has to be manufactured in labs once this goes into effect,  b ) we won't be able to mix our own, so would nic be taken off the market?.

Crap.  We had JUST gotten to where I had two flavors that I can vape and still usually taste, even with my neurological tasting damage, and the B&M read the writing on the wall that people were finding it more affordable to mix their own, so they were selling bottles of just the flavoring that you add your own PG/VG/NIC to (so just the flavoring base with nothing else), and we have been mixing it to the strength we want it.  I mean, if they are still allowed to do that, but nic is off the market, we could do it with 0 nic - my mod has become a pacifier as much a nic delivery device, anyway.  But if they aren't going to be able to do that, I don't know what we are going to do.  Probably have to quit when the "ungrandfathered" products have to be taken off the shelves - I can't imagine how much prices are going to shoot up at places that have the facilities and that will be working through this, and we just can't afford it right now, or next year, I guess. I'm sorry, I didn't read the thread, but I'd like hear if anyone knows anything about this.

EDIT:  Sorry for the ramble.  My brain isn't exactly "on" tonight, and hasn't been the last several days, so this is what you get.

On 5/19/2016 at 3:37 PM, Compenstine said:

Here we are fighting for our right to vape and then this...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/19/health/exploding-vaporizer-rip-tongue-trnd/index.html

I can't tell what battery he has/had or what he had for a build on his Mech Mod, but I can guess it was carelessness. I'm sure the FDA will this as evidence that they need to go back to 2007 equipment. I think what makes me the most angry about this is this was "Just a Hobby" and he wants to "Warn all the Kids to think twice"... It is all about the "Kids" right? facepalm2.gif

Comp, I'm so tired of the "e-cig battery exploded" stories.  Nine times out of ten, including on airlines, they are being misused, or shorting the stupid batteries out causing the fires, or leaking juice into the mod, again, causing fires, etc.  Cell phone batteries catch fire more than e-cig batteries, but no one yells about those, right?

EDIT:  GAH, automatically merging replies in this case probably isn't a good thing - one is the whole deeming thing, the other is exploding batteries.  Who's going to read through my rambling deeming section to get to my response to Comp?  LOL.  Sorry for the 

Edited by spydre

1 hour ago, Squid said:

Link originally posted in Hi-LiQ forum. I can't verify at this time, but fingers crossed it's true.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u-s-health-ecigarettes-fda-idUSKCN0YN30L

Had a call on this earlier this evening. It appears to be correct as a number of sources are citing the same. Interesting turn of events and welcomed

Like everyone said, headed in the right direction.  I just don't want to have to quit vaping.  Frankly, right now, I'm pretty sure I could drop to 0 nic right now.  I've realized since I had hand surgery at the end of March that this is MORE of a hand to mouth, pacifier effect than analogs were, or rather, I have the damned thing in my mouth more than I did analogs.  And my usage is increasing, so I'm actually taking steps to stop that - making sure it's sitting away from me, etc.  At one point, my husband vaped way more than I did.  Not anymore.

jeffb, I just saw your response, and it's exactly right.  B&M shops that have their own lines aren't going to be able to afford to get their lines grandfathered, and I bet the juice is the most profitable thing about their businesses, whether it's their own or someone else's.  My sister is "BFFs" with the owner of what started out as a little B&M here that got us started three years ago, and is now, supposedly, the third largest wholesale center in the country (according to my sister....but then again, she gets darn near all her product free or at cost just by being friends and a spokesmodel for them) they don't know what they are going to do.  Is it true that all juices will have to be manufactured in labs, and nic won't be allowed to be sold anymore like it is now?

• 2 weeks later...

Just visited Lightning vapes  they now require an ID form to be filled out with a copy of my drivers license to be uploaded to the form.  Im not really sure Im comfortable handing out a copy of my DL

From their site

In lieu of a handful of states such as CA, TX, MA implementing state laws requiring age verification on tobacco sales made online, we are required by law in those states to ensure that certain items here at LightningVapes.com are delivered to adults of legal smoking age in their respective state. Furthermore with the recent FDA regulations passed regarding electronic cigarettes, we will be implementing this nation wide, and expect the industry to follow suit come August of 2016.

I have probably a 10 year supply of Nic base to DIY. I doubt very much that the Chinese vendors will require a ID to sell hardware. It probably depends on the State where the online vendor is located. I won't leave myself open to identity theft by sending personal information over the internet, CC info is bad enough.

Any online retailer that requires a photo-copy of my DL is not getting my business.  That is begging for identity theft, not to mention, if you give me 20-minutes on my PC, I could easily "forge" any DL you want, with any info and picture you desire....  Requiring a photo ID for online purchases is about as "reliable" as asking someone to validate their age by checking a box or entering their birth-date....

1 hour ago, FXRich said:

I have probably a 10 year supply of Nic base to DIY. I doubt very much that the Chinese vendors will require a ID to sell hardware. It probably depends on the State where the online vendor is located. I won't leave myself open to identity theft by sending personal information over the internet, CC info is bad enough.

We need to stock up on nic base....and stock up on the flavoring mix we use, since we use a premade mix from a shop without nic, just the base flavoring, add our nic and PG/VG to make as big or as small a batch as we want.

Flavoring, PG, and VG should still be available for at least 2 more years. Maybe even longer, they are still used for other things besides ejuice. 18650, and 26650 batteries will still be used for flashlights, and other things. The vape industry will not end we will just have to find other ways to get what we need.

7 hours ago, cany said:

From their site

In lieu of a handful of states such as CA, TX, MA implementing state laws requiring age verification on tobacco sales made online, we are required by law in those states to ensure that certain items here at LightningVapes.com are delivered to adults of legal smoking age in their respective state. Furthermore with the recent FDA regulations passed regarding electronic cigarettes, we will be implementing this nation wide, and expect the industry to follow suit come August of 2016.

Never did any business with them before but this clinches it that they'll never get any of my business. Goodness knows it's bad enough I put my credit card number out there, they don't need my DL too. SMH

4 hours ago, FXRich said:

Flavoring, PG, and VG should still be available for at least 2 more years. Maybe even longer, they are still used for other things besides ejuice. 18650, and 26650 batteries will still be used for flashlights, and other things. The vape industry will not end we will just have to find other ways to get what we need.

Well, this is the flavoring for a store's brand of juice, just ready to add to our pg/vg/mic preference.  They saw how many people were going to blending their own, because PG/VG and nic were so much cheaper, and they bottle the flavoring for say, Inferno, and you buy that - no nic involved, but I would imagine it would still be prone to regulation.  Nic isn't going to be available after 2 years for mixing at home, right?  Heck, I mean, if after the two years, flavoring, PG/VG are still available, since they are used in other things, we may just mix up something we like and vape it without nic.  I don't know.

A lot can change in 2 years, but yes after 2 years with the current regulations still in place Nic base will probably not be available. The next president could reverse the FDA rules, or Congress could do something, but not holding my breath in either case. I don't know the process for extracting nicotine from tobacco, but it probably isn't that difficult to do, probably quite dangerous, and the results would not be predictable on the purity. I read most of the FDA regulations and even the hardware will be considered a tobacco product, and Juice with or without nic would be considered a tobacco product. Anything remotely used for vaping could be considered a tobacco product. My opinion is the FDA is trying to regulate the vape industry out of existence.