LG HG2 Warning!

There has been a batch of LG HG2s that has turned out to be either defective or possibly counterfeit.

Here is a few links that have details:

Can you identify the fake LG HG2 18650 Battery?

LG HG2 with gloss finish insulator

Counterfeit/Low Grade LG HG2 Test Results

Mooch suggests, and I agree that the 30Q would probably be a smarter purchase until they get this straightened out.  I have noticed a big "LG Blowout" from some vendors, and I suspect it is to clear their inventory of any of these batteries, if they actually have any of the Low Grade/Counterfeit batteries.

The last time I bought batteries from IMR was about 4 months ago, and all mine have the matte insulator, so they are probably genuine. Won't need any more for awhile so not going to worry very much about it.

I decided to check up on the batteries I got from IMR, They shipped my batteries on February 9, and didn't receive the bad batch until march, so I guess I'm safe. Thanks for the info Jason.

I have not bought any HG2s in a while.  I have been buying 30Qs instead.  They are a bit cheaper, and easier to find.  I also prefer the pink wrapper over the brown.  I checked the 4 I have left and they are all legit, but none of them came from IMR.  Thanks to @Earthling789 I now label all of my batteries with a month/year and who I bought them from.  It has helped me keep track of them, and decide which ones to pay forward or replace.

IMR wasn't the only place that sold them, I guess a lot of places sold them. And I always thought LG made them in S Korea instead of China. I emailed IMR just in case, but from the info on their website I got mine before they received the bad batch. Mine have been performing very well and holding a good charge, but I use them at low watts anyway except for TC and then I don't know what the initial watts are anyway.

Thanks for the info, @jasonculp .... I was about to purchase some new LG's but now I think I'll hold off for a while :)  The few HG2's I have were purchased months ago, so I'm safe from the defective batch.  Right now the vast majority of batteries I am using are HE2's, and my last ones were bought in January.  I guess if I decide to get anymore in the near future, I'll pick up some 30Q's instead, until LG gets their production issues cleared up?