Cannot believe this! No more E-Cigs on planes AT ALL!

I have not been on the forum a lot, really any, lately but thought you all should know about SA3547 that is in Congress right now as a rider to HR636 the "Americas Small Business Tax Relief Act" (I know right?). It is sponsored by Richard Bluemthal (D) from Connecticut.

The SA3547 rider reads exactly this way:

SA 3547. Mr. BLUMENTHAL submitted an amendment intended to be 
proposed to amendment SA 3464 submitted by Mr. Thune (for himself and 
Mr. Nelson) to the bill H.R. 636, to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 
1986 to permanently extend increased expensing limitations, and for 
other purposes; which was ordered to lie on the table; as follows:

At the end of title V, add the following:

SEC. 5032. REGULATIONS RELATING TO E-CIGARETTES.

(a) In General.--Not later than 180 days after the date of 
     the enactment of this Act, the Administrator of the Pipeline 
     and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration shall, in 
     coordination and consultation with the Administrator of the 
     Federal Aviation Administration--
       (1) finalize the interim final rule of the Pipeline and 
     Hazardous Materials Safety Administration issued October 30, 
     2015, pertaining to e-cigarettes; and
       (2) expand that rule to prohibit the carrying of battery-
     powered portable electronic smoking devices in checked 
     baggage and in carry-on baggage.
       (b) Definition.--In this section, the term ``battery-
     powered portable electronic smoking devices'' means e-
     cigarettes, e-cigs, e-cigars, e-pipes, e-hookahs, personal 
     vaporizers, and electronic nicotine delivery systems.

You can read more here but this is the entire rider the rest is typical bureaucratic gibberish. This is not really being contested and if not for a local Vape Shop putting it on Facebook I would not have even known about it. The only thing I could find is that this will pass very easily and within 6 months, the transportation of ANY Vaping gear on ANY flight will be banned and illegal even in carry on or in your pocket.

https://www.congress.gov/amendment/114th-congress/senate-amendment/3547/text

Mods can move to legislation if they want, I just felt more people would see it here and maybe take action. This is one of the widest spanning "bans" to date imo.

This is a good example of how the government has to protect the stupid American people from themselves. I do have to add that the people can't be very bright if they keep voting to put people like this back into office.

I didn't read the entire bill, but does it state a reason why. If it is because of the batteries, cell phones, laptops, and many other items allowed on planes also have rechargeable batteries.

I can see vape gear rental shops opening in airports so you can rent vape gear and buy juice while in town, but maybe juice won't be banned because it doesn't have a battery in the bottle.

1 hour ago, FXRich said:

This is a good example of how the government has to protect the stupid American people from themselves. I do have to add that the people can't be very bright if they keep voting to put people like this back into office.

I didn't read the entire bill, but does it state a reason why. If it is because of the batteries, cell phones, laptops, and many other items allowed on planes also have rechargeable batteries.

I can see vape gear rental shops opening in airports so you can rent vape gear and buy juice while in town, but maybe juice won't be banned because it doesn't have a battery in the bottle.

No that is the rider in the bill in its entirety. I am sure it is because of the dreaded lithium ion batteries that are in everything else people take on planes. Vaping on planes has been banned for a while now but I am astounded they would take it this far. The hilarity in this is the rider is attached to a bill named "Americas Small Business Tax Relief Act" yet covers the crew of an airline carrying guns and a myriad of other topics having nothing to do with the purpose of the bill. It is only attached because no one can vote against relieving small businesses of some of their tax burden and why it will pass in a walk.

Reminds me of the UIGEA (Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act) several years ago that was attached at the last minute with 0 DISCUSSION OR DEBATE to a "Safe Ports Bill" which passed resulting in myself and others having tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars lost that were in accounts on offshore Online Poker sites. I made a significant portion of my income playing poker online and without warning or notice all of a sudden we couldn't even sign into the sites. I ended up losing about $12k in that debacle which was not a lot to me at the time I had just cashed out over $60k to pay for a boat I bought. I deposited $1000 to start and learned, got better and made an average of $65k per year for almost 8 years which I paid taxes on and kept immaculate records in case of an audit. Then overnight it was over thanks to the Big Brother mentality of our Federal Government. Some of my friends lost $200k+ and a handful lost $500k+. I was at least smart enough to cash out everything over my bankroll each month.

And its not a Democrat or Republican thing, they both suck and want to regulate us out of existence they just have different items they want "mandated" by laws and pass them in sneaky *** ways like this one will be passed. I guess I will just have to overnight some gear to the hotel I am staying in when I have to take an overnight trip for business or suffer through cigalikes for the duration of the trip. I regularly have to go to Detroit for business and am appalled at this. Maybe I will make less trips now since most are optional and I hate going to Detroit worse than to my mother in laws.

Edited by bcartervol98

2 hours ago, FXRich said:

The way I understand it is they are banning the portable electronic smoking devices, not batteries. As it reads, you can take your battery you just can't take your devices.

I see tube mods coming back with fake flashlight attachments, e-liquid being transported in shampoo bottles and the tanks/atomizers being broken up and scattered in with jewelry.

It don't make much sense to me when you can take a pack of cigarettes on a plane, but not a e-cigarette, which is at least 90% safer to use. I guess the politicians aren't getting enough money from the vaping people. Maybe the rider will be taken out before it gets voted on by the Washington cartel.

4 hours ago, BirdDog said:

The way I understand it is they are banning the portable electronic smoking devices, not batteries. As it reads, you can take your battery you just can't take your devices.

I see tube mods coming back with fake flashlight attachments, e-liquid being transported in shampoo bottles and the tanks/atomizers being broken up and scattered in with jewelry.

Looks like the back ups of my back ups will be taking a trip via USPS to my next vacation get away location ahead of me. Or maybe I'll set up shop at an airport to rent e-cig hardware for an hour at a time. Might be a good way to make some money.  :evil:

On 4/11/2016 at 5:27 PM, BirdDog said:

The bill specifically names the Li-Ion battery, which (if passed) will give the TSA the ability to ban all portable electronic devices from airplanes... laptops, cell-phones, MP3 players, tablets, etc.  Damn straight I wrote my Senators to voice my opinion on this bill...  as well as the other 98 Senators, and especially a lengthy letter telling the sponsor and co-sponsor what a complete and utter moron they were for even suggesting such lunacy!!

If this passes, and it DOESN'T include a ban on all other LI-Ion battery devices...  "We The People" should take the case to the SCOTUS and sue the TSA because they are violating the law in allowing those dangerous cell-phones and laptops on airplanes!  See how fast the airline industry gets their lobby involved to have the law scrubbed or re-written.  Once LI-Ion batteries are defined as safe for carry-on luggage again, let them TRY to stop me from carrying my batteries separate, along with an inert (battery removed) mod!!!

6 minutes ago, FXRich said:

It would not be difficult to take a tank, add a coil that includes a light bulb, and call it a flashlight, that is if flashlights aren't already banned.

LOL... The original mechanical mods were made from flashlights :)  swap out a momentary contact button for the on/off button, and replace the bulb-head with a 510 connection and you were good to go...  If I'm not mistaken, I've seen LED/CREE flashlight heads available with 510 connectors to turn your mechanical mod INTO a flashlight :)

That is ridiculous! Imo it is the *scary news* about batteries blowing up.we all know batteries blow up when someone is uneducated on battery safety,and knows nothing about their set up.maybe overall lack of education on vaping is to blame?at the same time one stupid vaper with an exploding battery can ruin it for everyone.

Edited by Foofightervapegirl
Spelling error