DIY Coils or Premade?

Devv

Sometime in the near future I plan on getting an RDA and the equipment for it. I eventually want to make my own coils, but buying a pack of nicely made coils for cheap sounds like a nice idea. Has anyone used premade coils or should I just wait and someday buy all the tools to do it myself?

I've tried using premade coils on my JAM and Stillare RDA. It was okay but I prefer to build my own coils.

When you're ready to take the plunge, the first thing on your shopping list should be a good ohm meter. Don't trust that your mod will read the resistance of your coil accurately. Much safer to have a dedicated ohm meter instead.  :) 

With a little bit of experience and a little bit of mechanical aptitude there is no question in my mind that performance is far superior in DIY coils.  In minutes I can make coils that far outperform any pre made coils. It's not even a contest, lol.  They last longer and you can dial in the exact resistance that suits your vaping style.  Not to mention you can make them for pennies on the dollar literally.   It's the way to go if you are inclined.  Pre mades are convenient and perform okay but it ends there.   :)

• 3 months later...

" Pre mades are convenient and perform okay but it ends there "

Rats...I just bought some... I was hoping they'd be good while I'm learning to build.

6 minutes ago, Edna said:

" Pre mades are convenient and perform okay but it ends there "

Rats...I just bought some... I was hoping they'd be good while I'm learning to build.

They are fine to use, Edna. The coils you build yourself are most often better because you control the build, the wicking, etc. It's like the difference between a homemade meal from scratch versus something like a TV dinner. Some TV dinners are nearly gourmet quality while others are clearly... not, but none are quite as good as something that's made at home with fresh ingredients and a time tested recipe. That's all.  :) 

Well, I actually built my first coil day before yesterday and it turned out pretty ok. I was shooting for .4ohm and it came in at .42.

I checked it  on my ohm meter first then on my pico and the reading on the pico was 3.8 so I think I'm close. I haven't vaped it yet (I know...what) but I wanted to get here to get input on the different readings before I did anything stupid.

Thanks for any input.

I used Kanthal A1 24 guage wire and 7 wraps. on my Doge RDA

Don't listen to Bebop.  He can be a little zealous, overly dramatic and extraordinarily pompous sometimes. I know him personally and will deal with him accordingly.  Just know that he holds coil builders in the highest regards and likens them to the great artisans of the past whose monuments endure the ages and awe generations. 

Im sure if he were here right now he'd say something simple like  " If thoust aim for .4 and thou strike .38 or .42 then thee have hit the bull's eye as surely as the archer has split the apple atop his son's head" or something like that.

Edited by Bebop

I have been wrapping my own coils for quite awhile now. When I make a new coil for a RBA I try for .5 ohms, but they vary between .49 and .53, not a big difference, and don't notice a difference when vaping. I use TC for these coils, I let the mod figure it out. All I do is set the temp, and that varies between juices anyway.

I use both factory coils and build my own coils for RBA decks... I also rebuild many of my factory coils after they no longer vape well, especially the horizontal Kanger coils because they are so easy and cheap to rebuild. 

Factory coils are very convenient, and for the most part, economical... so I do keep a few handy when I'm out-and-about for a quick coil refresh, and since I have plenty (factory-fresh and rebuilt heads) handy... I don't think twice about swapping one out a little sooner than most people do.

• 4 weeks later...

Make my own. they are just simple little 0.5 ohm 26g 4.5 wrap coils. I don't even bother measuring resistance anymore. made the same coil over and over. tried dual coils, tried fancy wraps and different gauges and ohms...always come back to the 26g 0.5ohm because the vapor and flavor is just right and it doesn't chug through a bottle of juice a day like a dual coil setup does and then burn the wick in 5 minutes.. lol

That said, when I pinch the wraps and position it, I do fire it as hot as it will go and make sure I don't have hot spots or uneven heating. Sometimes 1 wrap will get much hotter than the rest which is a weak spot in the wire. when I see that I toss the whole coil out and wrap another one.

I've had the same spool of wire for almost 2 years now and still have tons of wire left... cost me $9 for that spool 2 years ago. made tons of coils and they last quite a while. I replace them when they get too gummed up and dont want to burn off anymore, or when the wire gets hot spots in it. save yourself a fortune in coils building them yourself and replacing on an as needed basis rather than replacing just to replace. o0

wicks on the other hand...I replace those twice a week or more. bought a box of japanese cotton a year ago and i've barely made a dent in it. get tons of wicks out of each square pad.

I'm still rockin the KF4

had the KFL before that.

Edited by Mr Smith

Like others have said save yourself a ton of $$ and wrap your own coils..
A ohmmeter, spool of wire and cotton is all you'll need to get started, and of course a RDA/RTA to build..
I don't have any tanks anymore that uses a store bought coil...I like the Griffin and Herkakes RTA's and the Dark Horse or Mutation series RDA's...I use Cotton Bacon for wicks.. Wicks fast and superb flavor..just my 2¢

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, smacksy said:

Like others have said save yourself a ton of $$ and wrap your own coils..
A ohmmeter, spool of wire and cotton is all you'll need to get started, and of course a RDA/RTA to build..
I don't have any tanks anymore that uses a store bought coil...I like the Griffin and Herkakes RTA's and the Dark Horse or Mutation series RDA's...I use Cotton Bacon for wicks.. Wicks fast and superb flavor..just my 2¢

What Gauge wire do you use in the Herkales

What Gauge wire do you use in the Herkales

Hi

24g Nichrome ..10 wraps on a 3mm bit at about .3 ohms for dual coils.. Not too hot and vapes great at about 45-50w or so..(This is on the Herkales RTA-2)