Thoughts? Initially I didn't see the big deal in what he did, but then after thinking about it some more I think it was a pretty crappy thing to do. By his own claims, he vaped for 2 years before he had any symptoms, but he attributes his hypothyroidism to vaping? WTF? Then basically pitches a product, says it's not a paid advertisement then posts a "affiliate" (paid) link for said product.

Our gov't is obviously a cluster#$*% on so many levels, and I can see them trying to use something like that with him being as popular as he is, and many considering him an "expert" to try to tax vaping like cigarettes, and make all kinds of ridiculous legislation based off his substantiated claim.

I got no problem with him using affiliate links to generate funds, but the way he did it just strikes me as shady.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this? 

Oh and it was supposed to be unsubstantiated claim in OP. lol 

And now he's doing a big giveaway, I guess it's cost him some subs... Just seems all kinds of wrong. But yeah I'd bet some people are going way overboard.

I find him amusing and informative, but I think he crapped on the community thats made him what he is. I can't fault him for trying to make money, but he's done gone and went shady here.

Im no RT fan particularly.  But what exactly did he do that was shady?  And I watched the video. He doesn't make any claim that vaping caused hypothyroidism.  Is it somewhere else? 

He used his mass appeal and wide fan base to plug a product.  So what?  Is that the controversy?  We have known for a long time that vaping causes dehydration. All of his symptoms are symptoms of dehydration.  He plugged an electrolyte.  My gawd. Round up the boys. Let's go lynch RT. :lol:

Well,  i suspect that's somebody else's interpretation of what he said.  He doesn't say that in the video but I can see how his detractors would love to infer that. 

It's all political bs anyway. There are some people who cannot stand others successes.  

He says it in the first 15 seconds of the video, and the title (while I can't remember what it was verbatim) strongly implied it. Was something like short term side effects of vaping, or side effects of  vaping. Having watched many, many, of his videos, you get an idea as to how he conveys things. To me it was clear what he was implying and that is his hypothyroidism was from vaping. 

Again, I'm all for him using his channel and fame to make money, but selling out the industry is clearly wrong. Blaming vaping for his hypothyroidism without any conclusive proof, to sell a supplement, well, I find that wrong.

I'm not looking to tear him down, I am jealous of all the devices he's got, no doubt, but thats about it. lol I just think he made a bad choice that could potentially be bad for the industry. Like I said, I could see some politician using that video as justification to impose crappy taxes and regulations that horribly effect the rest of us.

Hypothyroidism is a natural condition as we age, and he says himself in the video... "I sit around on my a## all day"...  Lack of exercise, poor eating habits, lack of Iodine in your diet, and the simple fact of AGE all contribute to hypothyroidism.  I personally think he's doing a great disservice to everyone in the vaping community by saying it's a "side effect of vaping", because it clearly is NOT.  Nothing in the vaping ingredients, nor the volume of water he is taking (or not taking) have to do with his condition.

Oh, BTW, the product he's hocking (Ultima)... is an electrolyte supplement that contains ... you guessed it... IODINE in the sodium content....  Your body needs Iodine to promote a healthy Thyroid gland. 

Here's the ingredients:
Selenium, Zinc, Phosphorus, Calcium, Potassium, chloride, Sodium and Magnesium.

Everything but the chloride content would contribute to fewer muscle cramps, and reduction of his hypothyroid symptoms/condition :(  I also seriously doubt his Doctor's diagnosis of hypothyroidism... Typically, the condition includes greying hair, obesity, jaundice coloring, neck swelling (goiters), and loss of hair (which he obviously does not have an issue with, lol).

I watched the whole video just now and cannot find what others are referring to. I see him mention a multi-vitamin and electrolytes which helps him with hydration, and he may just be misinformed with his self-diagnosis of hyperthyroid.  Nothing wrong with it in my opinion... no different from other reviewers chugging bottled water or other beverages while doing a reviews. No one calls them out on strategic product placement. :)

Now, if RT starts a whole video on feminine products, then yes, I would have to agree that it could be purely advertising as it has nothing to do with vaping. 

I think it is just tacky competitor calling each other out. :thumbsdown: It is not professional. Imagine if eleaf and kangertech slams each others' products, they'd probably lose more business with all the drama they stir up. 

4 hours ago, hicksvilleshick said:

He says it in the first 15 seconds of the video, and the title (while I can't remember what it was verbatim) strongly implied it. Was something like short term side effects of vaping, or side effects of  vaping. Having watched many, many, of his videos, you get an idea as to how he conveys things. To me it was clear what he was implying and that is his hypothyroidism was from vaping. 

Again, I'm all for him using his channel and fame to make money, but selling out the industry is clearly wrong. Blaming vaping for his hypothyroidism without any conclusive proof, to sell a supplement, well, I find that wrong.

I'm not looking to tear him down, I am jealous of all the devices he's got, no doubt, but thats about it. lol I just think he made a bad choice that could potentially be bad for the industry. Like I said, I could see some politician using that video as justification to impose crappy taxes and regulations that horribly effect the rest of us.

Well.  Now I don't even know what you're talking about.  We clearly aren't talking about the same thing.

This is exactly what I mean by inferring something he clearly did NOT say. You're free to draw all the inferrences you want but the video speaks for itself

"Selling out the industry"?  You give him too much credit.  That doesn't even make sense. Vaping is a 3 billion dollar industry and RT isn't even a bug spatter on the windshield of the vaping industry, lol. Poor taste? Buffoon? Sure. His antics annoy me but his methodology with regard to vaping is sound. 

Im sorry. Much ado about nothing. 

11 hours ago, Bebop said:

Round up the boys. Let's go lynch RT. :lol:

I've got the popcorn!  :D

9 hours ago, iQuit said:

Now, if RT starts a whole video on feminine products, then yes, I would have to agree that it could be purely advertising as it has nothing to do with vaping.

And just how do you know that feminine products have nothing to do with vaping? Some of it could. There is a possibility. Did you do research on this? Where's the proof! I wanna see the research and the funding source that paid for the research and... and...  :lol:  You do know that I'm just kidding, right?

I mean I wouldn't mind a bit of hyperthyroidism, a little weight-loss XD. I use 3mg nic just so I don't blow through juice as fast, but I feel the nicotine may be the issue, because for some reason (maybe it's just me) I get hungry after using nicotine, even after a meal.

On 2/17/2016 at 8:37 PM, Tam said:

I've got the popcorn!  :D

And just how do you know that feminine products have nothing to do with vaping? Some of it could. There is a possibility. Did you do research on this? Where's the proof! I wanna see the research and the funding source that paid for the research and... and...  :lol:  You do know that I'm just kidding, right?

Hey, no peeking in my vape build kit!  *hides my KGD cotton pads and tweezers* lol

Ouch.  

It's a blow but not a knock out punch. The Cal Dept of Pub Health isn't fooling anyone. They can keep cutting there own throats as far as I'm concerned. These big propaganda machines eventually crash.  Maybe it'll lead to some truth and reform in California.  One can hope, I guess. 

I just think it's wrong to fall in to the trap of attacking ourselves.  This is an age old trick, my friends.  The. enemy thrives on turning us against ourselves. It's all they have. They don't have the truth or the science behind them so they have to generate propodanda in an effort to create I'll will towards us and if they can turn our sight on ourselves then guess what? They get to sit back and watch us squabble amongst ourselves.  These anti-Rip YouTube vlogs by twisted420 and others are NOT HELPING.  They are backyard gossip over the fence distractions that only serve the anti-vaping enemy. 

The correct thing to do is IGNORE it all.  Ignore Rip's video and stop the infighting. It's ridiculous.  Rip should take responsibility himself for his own contribution to the mess but this pointing fingers at Rip thing only hurts us.  Vapor Joe and Twisted420  et al just look bad for the vamping community too.

That wasn't aimed at anybody personally. We all know Rip blew it.  He should fix it himself.  :)

Edited by Bebop