TFV4 coils, bad batch?

Ok so I don't know if I'm having rotten luck, or if there is something up with smok coils. I got a tfv4 tank in a package deal with my rx200 and I'm happy with the tank, I love the airflow, but I'm beating my head up against a wall trying to get a coil to last longer than a couple days. Hell the one I put in just yesterday is already giving off burnt cotton tastes.

The kit came with a 5 pack of claptons, and I had 1 last me about a week and a half, the rest didn't get more than 3 days. The triple coil that came with the tank lasted about a week, and the quad coil also included in the full kit had the threads so jakked on it, it couldn't even be used. I'm running no higher than 75w which is well within their range. So I'm drawing a blank. I've tried lowering the wattage, but that kills the flavor.

So I ordered another 5 pack of claptons from eciggity, and I'm running into the same deal it seems. I can't blame it on the juice, I don't think, the source is the same but different flavors, I'm running 20pg 80vg.

I think the next set I order I'll get something other than the claptons, prolly the tri-coils, but I was wondering if anyone else was having the same experience? I run the same juice in my triforce tanks and neither have any issues those coils I can get at least a week out of.

I appreciate any input.

9 minutes ago, hicksvilleshick said:

I was wondering if anyone else was having the same experience?

We had this discussion in another thread, and yes.  I can't remember who all was commenting on it, but, it seems to be pretty universal.  I only use the Crown coils now, and the first 5 pack was fine, but have been told the newer ones are not as good.  I am using the RBA most of the time in all of my tanks.  In fact the TFV4 is great with it's RBAs.  I think there are 3 availible, the Single (Clapton), Dual and Triple (Clapton).  I am using mainly Titanium as of now, and want to try some SS but still haven't bought any yet.

8 minutes ago, jasonculp said:

We had this discussion in another thread, and yes.  I can't remember who all was commenting on it, but, it seems to be pretty universal.  I only use the Crown coils now, and the first 5 pack was fine, but have been told the newer ones are not as good.  I am using the RBA most of the time in all of my tanks.  In fact the TFV4 is great with it's RBAs.  I think there are 3 availible, the Single (Clapton), Dual and Triple (Clapton).  I am using mainly Titanium as of now, and want to try some SS but still haven't bought any yet.

Crap, sorry I didn't mean to start a whole new thread if this was already a topic.

I do have the RBA with it (the full tfv4 kit is what came with the rx200) I haven't used it yet tho. Are you saying that you can buy pre-made coils for the rba? I haven't gotten into building coils yet, and right now I don't really have the time to invest in doing so, but I do have a fair bit of cotton I got for the RDA I just retired, so if I can just use the RBA and keep the coil clean, and just re-wick it I may have to go that route.

Just now, hicksvilleshick said:

Crap, sorry I didn't mean to start a whole new thread if this was already a topic.

I do have the RBA with it (the full tfv4 kit is what came with the rx200) I haven't used it yet tho. Are you saying that you can buy pre-made coils for the rba? I haven't gotten into building coils yet, and right now I don't really have the time to invest in doing so, but I do have a fair bit of cotton I got for the RDA I just retired, so if I can just use the RBA and keep the coil clean, and just re-wick it I may have to go that route.

No it was just a discussion in another tread, not a topic.

I am sure you can, but I wrap my own.  It is super simple, and cheap.  I was just throwing it in, because I have only had about 3 coils (the ones that came with the TFV4's and have never bought any more.  I just use the clapton RBA (the one with 4 screws)

2 minutes ago, hicksvilleshick said:

I haven't gotten into building coils yet, and right now I don't really have the time to invest in doing so, but I do have a fair bit of cotton I got for the RDA I just retired, so if I can just use the RBA and keep the coil clean, and just re-wick it I may have to go that route.

19 minutes ago, hicksvilleshick said:

No no tc as they are kanthal claptons smok premades, They omh out as advertised on the box they came in, in the .3 range. The current one is reading .36 on the fuchai.

When you get into building your own coils, the first thing on your shopping list should be a dedicated ohm meter. The meters on the mods are not as accurate as a separate one (although some come much closer now than the mods from the past).

If you're wanting to just rewick the one you already have, carefully remove the wick/cotton and then pulse the mod to heat the coil. That will burn off the gunk that's on it. Once the coil cools a bit, rewick and reprime.  :)

Well since the clapton was dead already I went and tried the rba. I wicked it, primed it, threw it in the tank and let it sit for a few min, and tried it. Did not like, airflow is greatly reduced, and I still was getting burnt cotton taste 2 or 3 hits in. I took it apart, and checked the wick and it was well saturated, the tank didn't leak or nothing. I'm just kinda dumbfounded now. Ugh.

I love the tfv4 but the hit or miss working is starting to get irritating. I plan on getting a x cube II shortly and hoped it would be the tank for it. I mean I just got a new 5 pack of claptons saturday and I'm already on the 2nd one of that pack. AAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!

Put the new clapton in and got it soaking now. Here's hoping it lasts more than a day. lol

Hard to see but is that a vertical clapton?

In general I find vertical coils to be slightly uunsatisfying when compared to horizontals. 

Can't really tell but it just doesn't look that burnt.  Maybe the coil is ok but wicking needs to be modified?  

1 minute ago, Bebop said:

Hard to see but is that a vertical clapton?

In general I find vertical coils to be slightly uunsatisfying when compared to horizontals. 

Can't really tell but it just doesn't look that burnt.  Maybe the coil is ok but wicking needs to be modified?  

Yeah vertical. There is a big clump on it down towards the bottom, I pulled the bottom pin out so you can see thru the whole thing.

20160217_115733.jpg

I would wonder if it was something to do with the juice, but I'm running the same juice thru my triforce coils just fine. :dunno:

20160217_115700.jpg

Interesting.  Hot spot maybe? Sometimes coils get hot spots and don't vape evenly. 

Can you knock the gunk off with a needle or something?

Try this experiment - reassemble after cleaning and then drip a couple drops right down the chimney.  Repeat it again and again. You might get a bit of flooding but it will tell you a lot about your wicking...

Edit:  I meant to vape it after each dripping if that wasn't understood.  Essentially tirning it in to a dripper.  If it vapes well then you know your wicking isn't keeping up with your heat and juice.

Edited by Bebop

Yeah that's weird that you have restricted airflow on the horizontal RBA.  Shouldnt be that way. Again this could be a wicking problem.  I don't know.  Hard to troubleshoot without it right in my hands. 

6 hours ago, hicksvilleshick said:

The only horizontal is the rba which has a far more restricted airflow. :(

damn I might just have to get rid of it. I'll try something other than the Claptons and if I get the same lifespan, it's gone. Lol

Do you have any horizontal coils other than Claptons you could try?

In my experience, horizontal coils in general do have more restrictive airflow compared to verticals since you block the air hole a bit. With vertical builds or factory coils, the air hole is almost unobstructed. That is with 2.5 - 3mm ID and 24 to 22G wires. 
Perhaps others who build with higher gauge wires and using 2mm or less ID have a different experience?

I only tried their triple, quad coils, and their RBAs ( RCA, single and dual), so I cannot speak of their newer coils. I love the triple and quads despite what seems like shorter lifespan compared to batches I received when they first came out.

4 hours ago, Tam said:

Do you have any horizontal coils other than Claptons you could try?

No the only horizontal that I know of for the tvf4 is via the rba deck. I'm going to try to re-wick it and see if it's different with a bit less cotton or something.

47 minutes ago, iQuit said:

In my experience, horizontal coils in general do have more restrictive airflow compared to verticals since you block the air hole a bit. With vertical builds or factory coils, the air hole is almost unobstructed. That is with 2.5 - 3mm ID and 24 to 22G wires. 
Perhaps others who build with higher gauge wires and using 2mm or less ID have a different experience?

I only tried their triple, quad coils, and their RBAs ( RCA, single and dual), so I cannot speak of their newer coils. I love the triple and quads despite what seems like shorter lifespan compared to batches I received when they first came out.

I would be content if they would last a week and a half or so... I messaged Smok via facebook and whoever responded was apparently using some translation software or something, it was unintelligible.

So I got my smok x cube II today and put my smok tfv4 on it set it to 70watts and it kept telling me low atomizer, which I found strange as the coil reads out at .37 on the rx200 and fuchai. So I fumble with it a bit and it finally reads. Hit the fire button and it promptly smokes that coil. Acted like it hit it with all 180watts. Put it back on the fuchai and now it's ohming out at .71 and the coil is clearly shot.

I would've thought smoke product with smoke product would rectify some of the issues. I guess I'm wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally broke down and bought a single quad coil here locally. I got it and put it in thursday. It's saturday, and it's already going south. Any hits over 2 seconds give throat burn, and alter the taste.

I was truly hoping that it was just the claptons, but apparently not. Additionally sad, it's not my primary tank, so it's not used as heavily as my 30mm triforce. Love it when it's working, but the coils just don't last.

Got a good wicking on the RBA head, and still the same deal, not as restricted but muted flavor, and still getting burnt taste at low wattages.