Nemesis getting very hot

Jsr1981

Hello all! I got a nemesis mechanism mod and when I hit the fire button it burns the carp out of my hand. I'm not using it because it scares me! Is it because the ohms are to low? I'm using vtc5's. What's the lowest I can build on those batteries? What can I do to keep it from burning me? Thanks for any help!

Either your Mech's firing-button spring is too weak (heating up like a coil), or your battery cannot handle the load you're asking of it.

Are you 100% certain your battery is an AUTHENTIC VTC5?  There is a very high possibility it is a knock-off or re-wrapped cheap-o.

What is the resistance of your coil?  Are you using a proper Ohm Meter to test it, or just going by the # of wraps and guessing?

The VTC5 has a higher mAh capacity than the VTC4, but it is NOT rated to 20A... so I'd not build anything lower than 0.5 Ohm on an authentic VTC5, and that would be pushing MY personal level of safety....

Either way, find out what is causing the issue... coil resistance too low, battery not authentic, or Mod's firing button/spring requires repair/replace... Do this BEFORE YOU USE IT AGAIN, or you'll become another statistic the media will use to tell everyone how evil and dangerous e-cigs/vaporizers are!

Liion Wholesale? Yes, then it should be guaranteed authentic.

So, that only leaves the MOD or the coil resistance... The quickest one to check is the coil resistance... pop it on a meter and report back the resistance you're using.

O.22Ohms @ 4.1V is 18.6A... @ 4.2V is 19.1A...   (and this is assuming zero-loss of power across the MOD, which is not possible, so add a couple Amps to the overhead).

The VTC5 is only rated to 20A continuous discharge (<100C), and most tests I've seen rate them lower than this.  For proven 20A performance, I'd look at the Samsung 25R or the VTC4.  Both are proven to perform consistently at 20A, with a margin of safety for higher loads... and the Samsung can usually be found for about half the price of the Sony, even on the Liion site!

If you're not exceeding 20A with your coil, then your Nemesis Fire-button spring is likely the culprit (heating up like a coil as you make contact).  I would suggest upgrading to magnetic fire-button connection, or at the very least, upgrading to a heavier spring.  Also, be sure to clean ALL the threading and the components of the fire-button.  Dirt can also create a situation where heat is generated.

Edited by Earthling789

Heat in the center of the tube could be the battery, and could also be dirty threads... dirt and corrosion add resistance. 

Take it apart, clean it well, inside and out... clean the threads with a stiff brush (toothbrush, wire-brush, etc.), and use a good metal polish/cleaner on the entire MOD.  Lubricate the threads with a low-resistance anti-seize compound... or use a tiny bit of Vaseline if you have nothing else for the threads.

If it still heats up after that, the battery is the most likely cause.  Either get a better battery, or build your coils to a higher resistance so the Amp draw is less!

Ok I cleaned it all. Polished it and the contacts. Took some very light sand paper to the threads and built a tidal coil. Coil is 28 gauge and .8 ribbon. 7 wraps and 2.4mms id. Came out to .39 ohms and it's vaping like a dream! Thanks for all the help man!