Help with buying a new mod

Jsr1981

1 hour ago, Jsr1981 said:

I can't understand what y'all are talking about! Lol! It's like y'all are speaking Greek!

Lol. Reading my post again, I can see why as I am not verbose or not as technical. So I will give my real world experience with RX200.

With lower wattage RTAs, like modified Kayfun 4 with Monster V2 clone base, or a modified SKX Wine, at 18w I do not have to swap cells till 3 days later. With RTA running 40W, it lasts me the whole day. Compared to IPV4 as an example, I would swap cells at least once.

Welcome to VT, btw. :)

2 hours ago, Earthling789 said:

You are correct, I just pulled up the image of the battery tray of the RX200... they are series, and not parallel ... my mistake :(

Since they are in series, that means you can get higher Voltage/Wattage, but NOT NOT NOT Amps... three 20A batteries means you should not exceed 20A load.  Series multiples Voltage... Parallel multiplies Amps/mAh

Actually they all work the same in a Variable Wattage mod.

In a series:

3.7V X 3 = 11.1V   200 watts / 11.1V = 18A since they are in series 3 batteries have the same continuous discharge rating.

In parallel 200 Watts / 3.7 = 54 A , 54A across 3 parallel batteries = 18A

Please note that I am calculating this at nominal charge.  At cutoff voltage, your battery has to work much harder, so the amps drawn increases greatly.

This is one reason I really like the RX200 so much.  The triple battery really helps you have quite a bit of headroom, and the shape of the mod really makes it fit great in your hand.  It is a bit heavy and bulky for my taste, so it stays on my table most of the time.

Also I think I should note that the above calculations don't work with a mechanical mod.  There are very few series mechanical mods, but there are some.  In fact there is one that can use different battery contact bars so it can work either way.

With a mechanical mod you must use the volts and resistance to come up with the Watts.  With a Variable Wattage mod you must calculate the battery draw based on how many watts you are asking from it. (Actually the calculations work the same, but in a Variable Wattage mod you work both sides of the board separately, the common factor is the watts)

Okay, guys, enough with the geek. You still haven't answered his question: which battery would he be better off with if he should buy the RX200 (I think that's the mod he was considering). If he's not planning to go sub-ohm or micro-sub-ohm, what's the bigger bang for the buck and still give him some playing around room? :D 

29 minutes ago, Tam said:

Okay, guys, enough with the geek. You still haven't answered his question: which battery would he be better off with if he should buy the RX200 (I think that's the mod he was considering). If he's not planning to go sub-ohm or micro-sub-ohm, what's the bigger bang for the buck and still give him some playing around room? :D 

Ohm mAH lord. Watt will I do with my lengthy geeky reply to Jason? :) 

Anything but eFest. Jason made some solid cell recommendation. I'd go with those. Seriously, LG HG2 is good compromise with both mAH capacity and power head room to account for voltage sag. Samsung 25r is my second choice.

Edited by iQuit
cos I can

9 minutes ago, iQuit said:

Anything but eFest. Jason made some solid cell recommendation. I'd go with those. Seriously, LG HG2 is good compromise with both mAH capacity and power head room to account for voltage sag. Samsung 25r is my second choice.

Thank you. See? That wasn't so hard, was it.  ;) 

2 minutes ago, iQuit said:

LMAO that is great!

25 minutes ago, Tam said:

I guess you are correct.

@iQuit is correct.  Nothing from Efest.  They make some fairly decent batteries, but you have to be very careful.  They released a batch of 35A 3000mah batteries that were proven to be LG MJ1s, a good battery but a 10A battery.  This has been proven by 3 independent testers, on who is a reseller of Efest batteries.  Efest has not only denied it but attacked 2 unpaid testers, who are only looking out for us.  This has turned into a moral issue for me...

I also think for the mod the 25R would be the best battery for the money.  It is slightly out of the continuous discharge range, but, it has been proven to be a very stable battery even if mistreated.

Sony VTC4 would probably be the best, but, unless you go to the vendors I mentioned earlier, or a very trustworthy, well known vendor, I wouldn't buy the Sony.  A good $5.00 25R is much safer than a $9.00 counterfeit Sony.

I also don't recommend the HE2 or HE4 if you are pushing the maximums.  They are great batteries, just not, not nearly as stable when pushed like the 25R.

11 minutes ago, Tam said:

Thank you. See? That wasn't so hard, was it.  ;) 

I can't type short replies....  My recommendations seem to get lost in the stuff I feel like i need to say :blush:

Why haven't y'all recommend vtc4's? They are 30 amp batteries right? Is there something wrong with them? I thought they were the best. I know they don't have the life as the others but that's not a big deal to me. If I get them from liion wholesale they will be authentic correct?

Just now, Jsr1981 said:

Why haven't y'all recommend vtc4's? They are 30 amp batteries right? Is there something wrong with them? I thought they were the best. I know they don't have the life as the others but that's not a big deal to me. If I get them from liion wholesale they will be authentic correct?

As Jason indicated above... Sony is the MOST cloned battery or re-wrapped battery on the market, and unless you are absolutely sure you are not receiving a re-wrapped Trustfire or something like that... (i.e. buying from trusted source), it is best to get the Samsung or LG batteries (also from a trusted source), mostly because they are less likely to be re-wrapped junk, and they are also considerably cheaper than the Sony.

7 minutes ago, Jsr1981 said:

+1 to what earth said. 

VTC4s are great! It does have lower capacity compared to 25R and LG HG2, and twice the price point (sometimes more) of 25R. Others who are not pushing very high wattage find 25R, etc are good enough for their needs. 

If power requirements is more important than longer battery run and do not mind the price, authentic VTC4s  all the way. :thumbsup: 

7 hours ago, Earthling789 said:

Sony is the MOST cloned battery or re-wrapped battery on the market

The #1 reason. But Liion is a safe place to buy them.  If you have a problem they will take care of you.

7 hours ago, iQuit said:

VTC4s are great! It does have lower capacity compared to 25R and LG HG2

They are a great battery.  I will probably never buy another one though.  I just don't need them.  I personally will buy 25R's, LG2's or 30Q's until something better comes along.  I also have a set of HB6's if I need to pull more amps.  (I also have a few sets of VTC4's)

I have no need to pay the premium for the Sony's.  There is certainly nothing wrong with them though.

• 1 year later...