Help with buying a new mod

Jsr1981

Hello I'm looking for help selecting a new mod! It needs to be a temp control mod and as powerful as I can get. I'd like it to be 200 watts but I can deal with 150 watts. I have a sigelei 150 watt tc but want to upgrade! What's a good one that's better? I see the dna 200 mods but just flat out don't have enough money for that my limit is about $75.00 thank you for your time and opinions!

200 watts in temp mode?  How is that even possible? That would have to be one mf of a coil and be fuel injected, lol. 

If you've seen this aactually work please post a link.  I'd like to see it, you know, just for giggles. :D

200W with a 0.1 Ohm coil would require a 45A battery... accounting for overhead/safety, you'd need a dual-18650 box-mod with batteries in parallel (to double Amp and mAh ratings) to combine rating of 60A minimum.  For that, you'd need two 30A minimum rated batteries.  IIRC, LG HE2 are 35A, as well as Purple Efest. 

@jasonculp, he will be able to recommend specific batteries to achieve 60A in dual-battery-mode mods.  As for the mod... I've no recommendation for anything that powerful... the most power I use currently is 40W, on a really good day! :D

30 minutes ago, Earthling789 said:

200W with a 0.1 Ohm coil would require a 45A battery... accounting for overhead/safety, you'd need a dual-18650 box-mod with batteries in parallel (to double Amp and mAh ratings) to combine rating of 60A minimum.  For that, you'd need two 30A minimum rated batteries.  IIRC, LG HE2 are 35A, as well as Purple Efest. 

@jasonculp, he will be able to recommend specific batteries to achieve 60A in dual-battery-mode mods.  As for the mod... I've no recommendation for anything that powerful... the most power I use currently is 40W, on a really good day! :D

That is the cool thing about Variable Voltage mods, they don't care what ohm's you are running, only the watts.  I don't personally recommend any 2 18650 mods for 200 watts.  If you do the math 200 watts (max wattage) ÷ 6.4 volts (2 x 3.2V batteries at low cut out voltage) = 31.25 amps.  This is assuming that the board is 100% efficient, but it isn't so we should add 5% - 10% to it so 31.8A to 34.4A.  There are no independently proven batteries that will have a continuous discharge of over 30A.

Personally the Wisemec DNA200 mods and the RX200 use 3 18650s and that gives you a bit of overhead. 200 watts (max wattage) ÷ 9.6 volts (3 x 3.2V batteries at low cut out voltage) = 20.8 amps

As for batteries.  If you are pushing it very hard the LG HB6/HB2 are great batteries, but they are only 1500 mah so they don't last long.  If you are in the middle the Sony VTC4 is a great option.  It will last longer at 2100 mah.  If you are staying below 150 watts in a triple battery mod I recommend the LG HG2 or Samsung 30Q they are 3000 mah.

I am not too different than @Earthling789 my all day vape is 40 watts.  At home in the evening I use a few different mod/tanks in the 60 - 80 watt range, but not on a normal basis.

1 minute ago, jasonculp said:

:blush: it is the only language I know.  If I can just keep one vapor from ending up on the news with a injury, by boring them to death with geek speak...I have succeeded. :lol:

Not boring at all, not to me anyway. I learn so much from you guys!

I would say there will be a 300W mod popping out soon, but it will require a 12V Die-Hard or small nuclear reactor to power it... and the only thing you'll be able to do with it is power a TV, PC, or microwave... because any juice at that high Wattage wouldn't be "consumable" :D

Good replies guys! I guess I don't need a 200 watt mod. I just wanted one because they sell them. I'm using a sigelei 150 watt tc and it's good but wanted to upgrade. I already have a bunch of vtc5's so it would be nice to not have to buy new batteries! I'm looking at the x cube 2. What's your opinion on that mod?

No one needs a super high powered mod, but if you truly want one, we just want to make sure you know what you're doing with battery safety so you don't get hurt. It's a lot like no one really needs a Lamborghini, but if you really wanted one and had the money for it, we would suggest special driving courses to keep you safe.  :) 

I appreciate the concerns! It means a lot! I just really want a power machine. I don't really need it just want it! I'm thinking about getting the wismec rx200. If was to get it I would use 25r's. Is this the correct battery for this? One question I have is if I only have a 2 bay charger can I charge 2 batteries and then charge 1 as long as I don't get them mixed up with the other set? I know they have to be married. It would be nice if I didn't have to buy a 4 bay charger!

What's good mod y'all recommend for performance? Keep in mind of price! Im not made of money! Lol also I don't use temp control but it would be nice if it had it just in case something changes the vaping game.

Edited by Jsr1981
Forgot to add something

First of all, I'll address the batteries... the Samsung 25R are one of the best batteries on the market, but they are only rated for 20A continuous discharge.  Yes, you can push them higher, but it is not recommended for more than short-bursts of 1-2 seconds.  The others Jason listed above can handle slightly higher Amps on continuous discharge, but no battery has been independently lab-tested to higher than 30A continuous.  As @jasonculp indicated, for safety, only a 3-battery 200W mod would be recommended.  For "normal" vaping needs (under 100W), the Samsung 25R and 30Q, or LG HE2 or HG2 are highly praised and reliable, safe batteries -- WHEN USED CORRECTLY.

As for the MOD recommended for performance... you need to define what you mean by performance...  My IPV-minis are only 30W (70W for V2's), and they have excellent performance, in the sense of reliability and uniform/consistent power every time I push the fire-button.  Same can be said for my Cloupor Mini's and Mini-plus units.  If you are looking for mind-blowing power... performance (uniform power) begins to diminish unless you are shelling out for extremely high-end chipsets, and for those you'll pay upwards of $1-2 per Watt of output.

The Wismec you mentioned (rx200) is getting good reviews.  Also, anything from Sigelei, Cloupor, or IPV (Pioneer 4 You) would be reliable and consistent, and yes, there are other good ones from SMY, Kangertech, Smok, etc... and plenty of designs using DNA chipsets too.  It's not always a "you get what you pay for" game because there are some real gems in the bargain-bin, especially if you're looking for MODs in the sub 75W range.  Once  you start above 75W, the competition gets less, and the prices go higher (for the most part).

I always thought I needed a 100W+ MOD... but once I actually had one, I realized that for MY vaping needs, it would never be used to its potential, plus it was bulky and uncomfortable for all-day use... so I sold it to a co-worker.  Like I said above, I rarely go above 40W, and my all-day-vape tastes just fine at 15-18W (using a 1.2 Ohm coil).  On rare occasions I'll go higher than 40W when dripping or sub-ohming (tank) for special juices (which taste okay at higher power).  For ME, I'm happy limiting my MOD ratings at < 50W, and a few 70/75W devices, just in case, lol.  And, my wallet thanks me :)  My last 75W mod was a Wismec 75W-TC which I picked up for the bargain-bin price of $29.99, and my three Cloupor Mini Plus 50W-TC units were even less than that (they were on sale, too)!

Edited by Earthling789

So now if I get the wismec rx200 will it be safe to vape with Samsung 25r's or should I go with the LG he2's? Vape time length is not an issue with me. I'm always home. I can't work because I was in a bad car accident that broke my neck, caused my brain to hemorrhage and paralysed my right arm and being right handed its tough to learn how to be left handed! I flipped an explorer twice and wrapped it around a tree! I'm extremely lucky to be alive!

Edited by Jsr1981

Both batteries listed are 20A continuous rated, and 2500mAh.  The RX200 uses them in parallel, so you're getting the same 3.7-4.2V, but 60A and 7500mah power.  Yes, they should be "safe" as long as you aren't trying to use a micro-ohm coil (below 0.1 Ohm) and the full 200W.

If I'm not mistaken, the LG HB6/HB2 Jason recommended would give better overhead for Amps, but you lose power capacity (mAh), as it will drop from 7500mAh total to 4500mAh total... so you'll have to swap batteries more often and recharge more often.  The general rule for Amp rating is the higher the Amp-rating, the lower the mAh capacity, but this is NOT always true, as some "cheap" batteries are just low on both points!

As for Vape-Time, I was referring to the length of each "hit" on the device.  Long 10-second drags on the tank/RBA/RDA put more stress on the batteries than quickie/short puffs of 3-5 seconds.  I don't know about you, but my average draw on my Subtank Mini is 8-seconds, and I've been known to hit the 10-sec cut-off limit of my MODs before ;)

I like short hits so I set my watts higher to get more and warmer quick! I hate to keep asking but what would be best for that? If you have any questions for me don't hesitate to ask. Ill be more than happy to answer them. I just want to get the best batteries for my vaping needs. I don't want to be stuck with the wrong thing and be disappointed! It's happened to me to many times

RX200 is configured in series, not parallel. Come to think of it, most regulated multi-cell mods are configured in series. Mechanical boxes do come in parallel. I have yet to see a mechanical box in series, but with so many mods out there, there might be few that do.

6 minutes ago, iQuit said:

RX200 is configured in series, not parallel. Come to think of it, most regulated multi-cell mods are configured in series. Mechanical boxes do come in parallel. I have yet to see a mechanical box in series, but with so many mods out there, there might be few that do.

You are correct, I just pulled up the image of the battery tray of the RX200... they are series, and not parallel ... my mistake :(

Since they are in series, that means you can get higher Voltage/Wattage, but NOT NOT NOT Amps... three 20A batteries means you should not exceed 20A load.  Series multiples Voltage... Parallel multiplies Amps/mAh

1 minute ago, Earthling789 said:

You are correct, I just pulled up the image of the battery tray of the RX200... they are series, and not parallel ... my mistake :(

Since they are in series, that means you can get higher Voltage/Wattage, but NOT NOT NOT Amps... three 20A batteries means you should not exceed 20A load.  Series multiples Voltage... Parallel multiplies Amps/mAh

No worries, earth. :) Image is confusing as the first 2 cells run the same polarity and the 3rd is hard to tell. 

I'm no battery expert, but to my understanding parallel = same Amps but double or triple (however it is configures) mAH while series = multiply Amps with number of cells used but mAH remains the same.