Hola everyone!

I've been vaping for about a month now, and after having upgraded to my first "big-girl kit", I thought it'd be a good idea to join a forum and learn a bit more of the ins and outs of this thing. 

Like many others, vaping for me is an alternative to smoking. I started in high school and have been smoking on and off for around ten years now. I've tried quitting many times, and at one point I managed to go four years until falling hard off the wagon. I tried a disposable e-cig thinking it would help, but that actually made it worse; the crappy flavor, the coughing, and that ridiculous blue light mocking me and my suffering with every puff only made me want a real cigarette even more. 

Then for Christmas, my fiancé surprised me with a vape pen. It was neat enough to get me interested in the idea of vaping, and with it I managed to cut down from a pack a day to a pack a week. But the flavor and battery were sub-par, so I splurged and got myself an eVic-VTC Tron S and I love it. I've only had it a few days, so I'm still tinkering around, but it's lots of fun! Plus, I haven't had or wanted a smoke since I bought it, so I guess that's a good sign!

Only downside to vaping - I can finally, actually smell my car... EW. :lol:

Anyway, that's my story! Looking forward to learning lots and chasing clouds!

- Peaches - 

3 minutes ago, FXRich said:

Welcome to VT and you will get lots of help here.

Thank you!! I've been doing my homework and watching videos, so I don't think I'm completely helpless lol, but it would be helpful and nice to be able to talk to people. :)

1 minute ago, FXRich said:

Are you using that Evic VTC in watt mode or in TC mode?

My first day with it I used the included .5 rba kanthal coil on power mode and really liked the results, but I went through a good bit of battery and juice lol. So for the last couple of days I've been playing around with the .2 nickel coil on TC mode, and to be honest I'm not sure what to make of it, most likely because I'm not entirely sure if I have it on the right settings. I know the lower the resistance, the more power it can handle, but I don't want to take it too high for fear of exploding my face, so I've been keeping it between 450-550 degrees F at 20-35 watts, and I'm not getting any dry hits or burning/crackling, so I guess it's okay?

My main beef with TC mode is that my resistance is dropping even though it's locked. It's sitting at .18 right now, and sometimes if I remove the atomizer, reattach and choose "new atomizer" and re-lock, it'll reset back up to .20, but right now it doesn't feel like cooperating. But it's still hitting fine as far as I can tell, so who knows? >.<

As long as you are getting it figured out you will be fine. I have been vaping for over 2 years and just tried TC a few weeks ago, and am still learning. If you are using the RBA you are a lot farther along than a lot of other people.

That mod you are using has a lot of built in safety features, most people that blow them selves up are using mech mods and not using them right.

Edited by FXRich

1 minute ago, FXRich said:

As long as you are getting it figured out you will be fine. I have been vaping for over 2 years and just tried TC a few weeks ago, and am still learning. If you are using the RBA you are a lot farther along than a lot of other people.

Aww, I think you're giving me too much credit - I haven't rebuilt it myself yet lol. But assuming I'm reading things right, Joyetech says you can, so I'm gonna hold onto it for now. Perhaps try a couple of the other coils I got with it first (still have a Ti .4 and a CL 1.0 I haven't tried yet), freshen up my math skills, and then maybe I'll try my hand at building my own coil. Maybe... :P 

What's your experience with sub-ohming? Any recommendations on settings? I've been looking around for power charts and most are for 1.0 resistance and up. 

Those power charts are obsolete, I think the CL is the Clapton coil but could be wrong, if it is you will want to use power mode with that one. I use a Kanger 120w TC with a kanger Subtank mini on top of it and run it between 400f - 450f with a SS 0.50 coil. I'm not given a choice of wattage when running in TC mode. When using the wattage mode I use 10 - 12 watts with the same coil.

5 minutes ago, FXRich said:

Those power charts are obsolete, I think the CL is the Clapton coil but could be wrong, if it is you will want to use power mode with that one. I use a Kanger 120w TC with a kanger Subtank mini on top of it and run it between 400f - 450f with a SS 0.50 coil. I'm not given a choice of wattage when running in TC mode. When using the wattage mode I use 10 - 12 watts with the same coil.

Yeah, most of the info I've found regards those who want to build their own sub-ohm coils, and I'm definitely not there yet lol. But I'm thinking that if you've got a setup with more power than mine (mine is a 75w) albeit on a higher resistance coil, maybe I could be torching wick? I just tried dropping it down similar to yours at 450F at 11.8w, clouds seem a little thinner and cooler, but that's probably due to differences in coils, right? What would you recommend for a .20 nickel coil, and also, what do you think of stainless coils? I don't have one to try, but I do have a TC setting for it. 

I use stainless steel coils exclusively. They work with wattage mode and TC and they give a cleaner taste in my opinion. I have never tried Ni coils, people say they need a break in period before they taste good, so I have never tried any, but some people swear by them. I suppose for Ni coils you would do the same as any other coil. A 0.2 coil probably needs more power than my 0.5 coil so bump the power up. Also your juice might need more heat. Some of my juices need more heat than others.

I was wrong again the CL is the atomizer model and has nothing to do with the coil, I looked it up and has a kanthal or Nichrome coil in it not a Clapton coil. On your RBA you should be able to just replace the cotton in it. There's probably lots of videos on the net explaining how to do that.

Welcome to Vapor Talk!

You have a good setup there.  The only think I might ask is what type of battery are you running in it?  The VTC mini is a very safe setup and as long as your battery is not very low just about any 20 amp battery will be good in it.

Your resistance with a Nickle coil, and the Ti coil will jump around a bit due to temperature (that is how the Temp Control works) when you lock your resistance make sure your atomizer is at room temperature.  This will make it more accurate.

Don't worry with the charts, settings, or any "expert" advice on where you should be vaping.  Just put it in the correct mode (Power, Ni200, Ti, or SS mode) and lock your atomizer.  Start at something reasonable such as 25 watts and 375F.  If this is too hot turn it down a bit.  If it is too cool turn it up a bit.  As you go up or down in temp raise or lower your watts a bit accordingly.  If it starts to taste burnt, you are as high as your juice, or coils can handle.  Just adjust it until you find what you like.  I am currently using a very similar setup at home.  I use the Wismec Presa 75W TC.  It is the exact same chip as the VTC mini, in fact, I am running the VTC mini software on it.  I have a Crown (tank) on top of it using the SS .25 coil and 30PG/70VG 6ml/mg Juice.  I am running it in SS mode at 500F and 40.5 watts.  I am using a Samsung 18650 25R battery in it (Blue Smurf battery)  This isn't a recommendation for these settings, but just to give you an idea of what someone else is running.

Good luck with your journey and like @FXRich said, come back and ask questions, and someone here will be glad to help in anyway possible.

Edited by jasonculp

Welcome!  You're off to a running start!

@jasonculp Glad to hear you're liking that Wismec 75WTC... I just ordered one from VapeNW (they had a killer price of $29 on them), and hoped they'd be as good as the original 40W Presa models.  I love the form-factor and feel of them in my hand :)

8 hours ago, Earthling789 said:

Welcome!  You're off to a running start!

@jasonculp Glad to hear you're liking that Wismec 75WTC... I just ordered one from VapeNW (they had a killer price of $29 on them), and hoped they'd be as good as the original 40W Presa models.  I love the form-factor and feel of them in my hand :)

I missed the sale.  I bought 2 from China. The first I put the Evic VTC software on and it works very slick.  The second one wouldn't take the software.  V3 for the Presa is supposed to give it all of the same features as the Evic software so I will upgrade the second one sometime this week.

I really would have never paid attention to them, until I read your glowing reviews of the 40 watt.  I am really glad I bought them, and plan on buying more.  They are just as good as the Evic VTC mini (which I feel is one of the best single 18650 on the market) but with much better ergonomics.

5 hours ago, jasonculp said:

I missed the sale. 

Nope, didn't miss the sale... they're still $29.99 at VapeNW... I just checked :)

I'll probably update mine to the V3 software as soon as it comes in... which hopefully will be in the next couple of days, unless these snow storms cause a delay in shipment, that is...