Kanger RBA Ohm's and volts

Vic

My builds are making my cotton last a week and when I change it I think it would go two weeks as it is barely brown where it sits in the wire coil. I dont know why Kanger sends such little wound coils with the RBA. All I had is trouble and cotton only lasting 1 to two days. I think I will go get some ss wire this weekend and try that. Im down to 4 raps.

You will like the SS wire for building coils, there is very little spring to it, and its not as soft as Ni200 but not as hard as Kanthal either. I got 100m of 28g 316l in vape mail the other day so I will be good for a few years. I use 4 wraps around 3mm and get 0.5 ohms which is good for wattage mode or TC mode so now I don't have to remember what wire is in what tank all of them have SS coils.

On 1/22/2016 at 9:18 PM, FXRich said:

You will like the SS wire for building coils, there is very little spring to it, and its not as soft as Ni200 but not as hard as Kanthal either. I got 100m of 28g 316l in vape mail the other day so I will be good for a few years. I use 4 wraps around 3mm and get 0.5 ohms which is good for wattage mode or TC mode so now I don't have to remember what wire is in what tank all of them have SS coils.

.5 with 4 wraps at 3 mm. Can you cranks the whats ups to 20 0r 25?

You can crank the watts up as high as you want, I don't go any higher than 12 watts with my juice, but you may prefer a warmer vape than me. Out of curiosity I just cranked the watts up to 25 and got a good hit a little warmer and harsher than I prefer but not burnt either.

I think the only coils you should not use for power mode is Ni200, and Titanium, I was using SS for coils long before I had TC. If I remember right you have a 50w Subox mini which I use all the time with SS coils. The new Kanger ssocc coils which are designed for power mode use SS coils. The Uwell crown uses SS coils and people use them quite often in power mode. Right now I'm using a Nichrome coil in TC mode, technology is moving quite rapidly in the vaping industry and your local vape shop needs to keep up.

43 minutes ago, FXRich said:

Right now I'm using a Nichrome coil in TC mode....

How is that working?  It really sounds neat.  I was hoping it would work well.

I am currently using SS (factory coil) in my Crown on my Wismec 75TC (with Evic VTC mini upgrade on it)  I am running a TCR of 0108 and it is one of the best vapes I have every had.

I am also using Ti in the NEBOX and it is working great.

Edited by jasonculp

So far I have run the tank empty twice and no burnt cotton, so it seems to work. I'm only running it at 400f and its a 1.2ohm factory coil. it shows 1.26 ohms on the mod, the watts don't jump around as much as it does in Ti mode which might be good. Seen a video where if you use Kanthal in NiCr mode and use the lowest temp setting the coil will not get red hot like in power mode, but it will get hot enough to burn cotton. Only a matter of time and TC will be available for Kanthal.

The flavor is better with SS in TC than the Nichrome in TC, just my opinion though.

1 hour ago, FXRich said:

So far I have run the tank empty twice and no burnt cotton, so it seems to work. I'm only running it at 400f and its a 1.2ohm factory coil. it shows 1.26 ohms on the mod, the watts don't jump around as much as it does in Ti mode which might be good. Seen a video where if you use Kanthal in NiCr mode and use the lowest temp setting the coil will not get red hot like in power mode, but it will get hot enough to burn cotton. Only a matter of time and TC will be available for Kanthal.

The flavor is better with SS in TC than the Nichrome in TC, just my opinion though.

Personally, I have no need for Kanthal TC.  I think the availability of Titanium, and now Stainless makes it irreverent.  This is just my opinion of course.  We are going to get the best TC control (with current technology) with the wire that has the greatest Temperature Coefficient of Resistance. This is because even as measurement gets better, it will just make the higher TCR wires that much more accurate.  I still use Nickle from time to time, but I really seem to get the best flavors from Ti or SS.  I made a Kanthal setup on my Velocity to play with the high wattage available with the RX200 and the flavor wasn't nearly as good as I remembered it.

For me the Kanthal has become obsolete. SS is a much better choice not only because it can be used in power mode and TC mode but also it gives much better flavor. There are some that will stick with Kanthal but that is their choice. The only choice I have to make is which grade SS to use, 304 is considered food grade, 316L is surgical grade, and 430 is considered to be ornamental grade. Uwell advertises 316L coils, and Kanger doesn't say what grade they use, but I suspect its 304. The reason I suspect 304 is because running 316L in SUS mode with a Kanger mod I set the temp between 350f - 400f using steam to convert the TCR of 304 to 316L it says I'm running between 400f - 450f no way to actually know what the temp is though. I tried a IR temp sensor on a dry coil but don't get a reading, I probably need a better IR temp sensor. Maybe in the future Kanger will release a update to change it to a 316L TCR curve. But until then I'll just vape at the temp that suits me.

I put the .5 back in and seems I get a lot bigger hit. And I take it I can use ss with my mini? Im wondering if I should try a 3 wrap so I can get watts up for a better hit with the RBA?

Edited by Vic

If you are using 28g Kanthal you will have to go down to 2 wraps to get a .5 coil, or you could go with 26g and use 4 wraps and get  .6 coil. I use 28g SS316L and get .5 with 4 wraps. The SS works great for me, but everyone has different preferences. The less wraps you have means the less contact you will have with the cotton. I try not to go below 4 wraps.

If you go with 24g 5 wraps will give you .5 ohms

Edited by FXRich