Safety and newer electronic mods

In the past two months I bought 3 Kanger subtank mini kits and 2 extra subtank minis, I spent enough for awhile. We were all noobs/nerds when we first started.

Wow!  That should hold you for a while.  I really like the looks of that mod, and really like the tank.  I am just hung up on the Temp Control.  I tend to find out exactly what i like, then go buy the next new thing that comes out.  It is a bad habit, but a fun hobby.  I was looking at my shelf a while ago and I have 7 mods and 7 atty's that I don't use very often, my daily rig, and my backup rig, and 3 mods that are disassembled.  It may have grown from a hobby into an obsession.

Its called shinyitus very contagious, I was even considering the new 100 watt istick, but didn't do it. maybe next month, I usually don't go over 20 watts don't know why I would need 100 watts.

Its called shinyitus very contagious, I was even considering the new 100 watt istick, but didn't do it. maybe next month, I usually don't go over 20 watts don't know why I would need 100 watts.

I have it bad.  There is 2 tanks I want really bad, in fact I have put them in my cart and taken them back out multiple times today.  I don't need them.  I also have a list of DIY stuff I have been thinking about buying.  I really don't want to make my own juice, but I want to be ready in case I have to.  Everything together would be close to $170 plus shipping.  I really don't have that much left in the vape budget for the month.  In fact if I just order the juice I want I will be at the end of my budget and it is only the 12th...lol

One thing about DIY supplies if you put them in the freezer they last for years. I do DIY and find that I enjoy it, I can mix my juice however I want to. One example is I prefer less PG but want good wicking, so I only use the PG in the flavoring and thin it with water (distilled water) I was using 10% water but found it was too thin so I went to 5% which seems about right. Not very many if any juice vendors will substitute water for PG. It also lowers the drying that vaping causes and seems to keep the coils cleaner.

I am really interested in DIY.  I just don't see myself making a hobby out of it.  I am just not adventurous enough.  I have tried all kinds of juice from all over the internet and every vape shop in the Panhandle and West of the DFW area.  I have only found 7 juices that I can vape, and only 1 of those can I stand for more than just a few minutes.  I am very strange.  The only juice I like have many different flavors.  I can never tell you what any of them taste like.  I know my ADV has like 15 different fruit flavors or something like that.  I have never been able to vape single flavors at all with the exception of coffee.  I only found 2 coffee flavors I like.  I have very little faith in me being able to make anything I like.  I do want to try to come up with enough stuff in the event the government makes it impossible to vape.  If Texas goes the way of Arkansas, I will be in trouble.  There are some local shops, but none have anything I like.  I tried my old ADV from before I got mine from Comp, and it tasted terrible to me.

About the only person on here that could help you with flavors is Comp, and I doubt he will give up any of his secrets, and I don't look down on him for that. I'm sure that USPS don't have juice sniffing dogs.

About the only person on here that could help you with flavors is Comp, and I doubt he will give up any of his secrets, and I don't look down on him for that. I'm sure that USPS don't have juice sniffing dogs.

I would never ask him to and I hope it never comes to that.  I am sure he makes some good flavors for this cake icing I am working on ;)  I really don't know what, if any restrictions will ever come, but I do feel like it is time to become self sufficient, in case I becomes difficult.

IMO, the best way to give us the control is a generic scale with no labels. Kind of like they do with the volume on TVs and radios. Imagine the confusion if they set that up with the decibel scale. The only plus side is that with a labeled scale you can compare device to device. It's easy with volume, if it hurts it's too loud. :rolleyes:

I like that idea.  Perhaps just "1 to 10"...or a "Spinal Tap" version that will go all the way to 11.

I am sorry, I didn't mean to leave the impression that I didn't understand what joules are.  I am such a nerd.  That is my source of confusion.  A joule is not an unit of power.  I have read that P4Y has tried to use them interchangeably, which they are not. I agree there is probably 3 or 4 of us on the entire board that would be interested in the difference in watts and joules.  You should have seen the treads discussing RMS vs Mean, or PMW and DC/DC stepdown...lol

You didn't leave that impression.  I'm a nerd too.  The may be "TMI", but instead of magazines, I keep things like computer programming manuals in the bathroom for "reading material"...lol.

I was mostly concerned that others would assume Joules were the same as watts and treat them interchangeably.  (In fact, it isn't very difficult at all to find numerous reviews on Youtube where the reviewer is treating Joules exactly that way.)  That may very well be the intent of YiHi, but if that is their intent, it is very misleading.

You might try this joules to watts calculator. http://rapidtables.com/calc/electric/Joule_to_Watt_Calculator.htm

That is where the rub is.  The mod is set at 30j.  This is impossible, because it has no idea how long I am going to push the button.  30j is 30watts for 1 second or 15watts for 2 seconds or 10watts for 3 seconds.  I know I am being nit-picky, and a bit nerdy...lol

A very simple way to begin to understand Joules is to use the analogy of a water hose.  You are going to get more water to flow per second and with less effort by using a 3 inch hose vs a 1 inch hose.  The same principle applies to Joules - higher settings will allow you to achieve the desired temperature more efficiently. 

One thing about DIY supplies if you put them in the freezer they last for years. I do DIY and find that I enjoy it, I can mix my juice however I want to. One example is I prefer less PG but want good wicking, so I only use the PG in the flavoring and thin it with water (distilled water) I was using 10% water but found it was too thin so I went to 5% which seems about right. Not very many if any juice vendors will substitute water for PG. It also lowers the drying that vaping causes and seems to keep the coils cleaner.

Same here. I only use PG that comes in flavorings, and add 2% distilled water or saline solution (makes some flavor pop) to VG. Over time, I became sensitive to PG. It irritates my throat and most time leaving me hoarse.

I am really interested in DIY.  I just don't see myself making a hobby out of it.  I am just not adventurous enough.  I have tried all kinds of juice from all over the internet and every vape shop in the Panhandle and West of the DFW area.  I have only found 7 juices that I can vape, and only 1 of those can I stand for more than just a few minutes.  I am very strange.  The only juice I like have many different flavors.  I can never tell you what any of them taste like.  I know my ADV has like 15 different fruit flavors or something like that.  I have never been able to vape single flavors at all with the exception of coffee.  I only found 2 coffee flavors I like.  I have very little faith in me being able to make anything I like.  I do want to try to come up with enough stuff in the event the government makes it impossible to vape.  If Texas goes the way of Arkansas, I will be in trouble.  There are some local shops, but none have anything I like.  I tried my old ADV from before I got mine from Comp, and it tasted terrible to me.

I am the same way. I tried many retail juices and only found a few that I really want. I tried juice testing in B&M's but do not like the crowd, and maybe it is the guy in me. lol I do not go to Baskin Robbins and try all their flavors before buying one. I just pick what I think I like and if I end up not liking it, then it's my bad. I want my shopping experience very quick.

That is why I went with DIY. If I screw up my mix (which I have), it is only a fraction of the cost compared to getting one retail. I started with real simple flavors before layering 2 or more flavors. I just went with recipes found online and then made it my own with a little tweaking to my liking. I still buy premium juice but reserve my purchases around the holidays for discounts. What I save in DIY goes to hardware, and spare parts.  

• 3 weeks later...

I stumbled on this thread through a google search looking for reasons why I was getting a "check bat" error on my brand new IPV D2. I was about to panic because so far I LOVE this device. Anyway, I found that in the process of screwing on all my tanks checking if I was getting the same error, I saw that the firing pin had become misaligned. I just pushed down on the spring loaded pin and readjusted it to the center and it cleared right up!