Ok all you Smokers......

UGG Im really confused now Everything I watched/read is thrown out the window

Haha... The key is to reach temp as slowly as possible, but still high enough to get a good "crust" on the meat quickly so it will hold the juices internally... this is what makes the meat good and tender.  There is nothing wrong with smoking for 4-6 hours, and then popping into the oven for another 4-6 hours with low heat to keep it cooking internally.  It is edible once the internal temp reaches 160 (will be tough), but what really softens the meat and collagen/connective-tissue is when it breaks 185.  Some people push it to 205... but I like to pull mine out at around 195-200, and start pulling them apart after a 15-20 minute cool-down.  Another good indicator is that you can slide the bone out (with very little effort) without pulling any meat with it... if you can do that, it is done!

Jason I would argue that the best meat is walking around the woods waiting for my 50 cal sabot or 180 grain 30-06 to put it on the grill lol. A couple more months till that time though.

Defiantly!  That is the bad thing about living on the plains.  I have to drive an hour to see a tree!  Just flat dirt, crops, and grass around here.  The only wildlife we have here is birds (pheasant mostly) and rabbits....  We were getting mule deer, but no season on them.  Now that it is raining some we don't even see them.

Defiantly!  That is the bad thing about living on the plains.  I have to drive an hour to see a tree!  Just flat dirt, crops, and grass around here.  The only wildlife we have here is birds (pheasant mostly) and rabbits....  We were getting mule deer, but no season on them.  Now that it is raining some we don't even see them.

My favorite way to cook rabbit is to skin it and clean it, leave it whole and boil it for about an hour on high high heat in very salty water. Then I take it off and direct heat grill it until tender and basting with a good vinegar based sauce (I prefer Wickers). Man thats great. I would trade deer, bear and boar to have pheasant here!

My favorite way to cook rabbit is to skin it and clean it, leave it whole and boil it for about an hour on high high heat in very salty water. Then I take it off and direct heat grill it until tender and basting with a good vinegar based sauce (I prefer Wickers). Man thats great. I would trade deer, bear and boar to have pheasant here!

We have boar East and South of here.  I don't have any connections though.  The drought has nearly killed all the pheasant hunting.  All of dad's farms have been leased for hunting, and I don't feel right using them.  He is trying to help the population on the one North of town.  It is 320 acres of grass, and has 2 small playa lakes on it.  They have been dry until this year.  He is going to shred strips out this year to help hunting.  If you mow strips  down every 30 feet or so it will give you a lane to walk and blockers or dogs will run them into the openings.  When you have tall grass on the whole thing, you can nearly step on them before they fly, which is hard when it is so large.

2Hrs in

Looking good!

Ribs on top Butt a Bit Crispy

It looks good.  My wife and I have been talking about it all day.  She just asked me if I wanted to run get a couple and smoke them tonight (while she sleeps)  It would be 10:00 before we got home tonight....lol

Oh my gosh. I haven't had pheasant in far too long. *drools*  :)

No eating thumper, B.  :D

Okay, boys. When is dinner? I think a competition is in order after all the posts I just read. I volunteer to be a judge!  :lol:

So, is dinner ready yet?  I've been waiting all day to taste that :D

Me too  Its crispy but temp still low :(:( Im confused  the crust is gettin kinda burnt

Edited by cany

This whole thread is making me hungry.  Looks like I'm going to have to ask the other half for permission to go buy a new smoker (the old one, the charcoal version of Cany's, died after 15 years of solid service). 

With football season right around the corner, my main smoking season is upon me.  I sense a bacon fatty, some ribs and a brisket in my near future.

I can't give you the answer you're looking for but I don't see why you couldn't just put it back on the smoker, Cany. Just like reheating left overs the next day.

That said, the reason why you're not getting any answers from the people who are experienced smokers is because they're probably out there getting supplies and smoking their own meats today. See what you started?  lol  :D

Yes, Cany, you can put it back on the grill or smoker to finish cooking it, but it will take a few hours to get the internal temp back up to where it was when you pulled it out last night.  It may also crust up more (thicker) because the exterior will over-cook, but it will not hurt it :)

Thanks Earthling I have the BBQ preheating.................. I think I screwed it up on the smoker because i WAS opening it a lot to squirt it with apple cider lost a lot ofheat and should of let it go for a few more hrs but by 8.00 the alcohol did me in and I was no longer to keep an eye on the smoker

Earthling is it ok to wrap in foil ??