Driving a 20 year old car

My car is 20 years old and has about 110,000 miles on it. Here is a list why I love my old car.

1. It is old, no one will want to steal it.

2. It is a stick shift, good luck stealing it.

3. Small gas tank, cheap to fill.

4. Bright pink color, can't lose it in a parking lot.

5. No car payment.

6. Cheap insurance.

7. No auto, shift on the fly 4 wheel drive.

8. No power steering, great upper body workout.

9. Engine compartment isn't full of all that computer crap, everything is easily accessible.

10. It has an ashtray and cigarette lighter. :lol:

The downsides to my old car.

1. Soft top, does not stop thieves.

2. No more stereo or speakers. Thank you thieves, may the 20 year old tape deck and speakers line your pocket book.

3. The trim is starting to come off.

4. 4 wheel drive eats gas

5. Parts may be hard to find in the long run. Still cheaper to fix than a car payment.

I grew out of the phase of wanting a new car all the time. All my cars are paid off. Its so nice not having a payment. My Sequoia has 120,000 miles and has never let me down. My Acura has 150,000. I will just keep them until they die. My Maxima only has 60,000 so I hope that will last me many years to come.

I will keep this car until it dies. It has not required any major repairs except for the usual maintenance. I did replace the timing belt, scheduled maintenance, that was a bit costly but still cheaper than a car payment. The mechanic said I should get many more years out of that thing. Even if I get a new car, I will keep this old one. My brother and I joked about turning it into a demolition derby vehicle down the road. It was funny at the time, but I don't think I could watch her get beaten up that bad.

Isn't it awesome not having a car payment?  My truck is 11 years old. I can fix everything on it. Cheap insurance, cheap registration, the only thing I really pay for is gas but I don't mind. 

I know im facing getting another EV or hybrid one day (wife has one) but until then I'm enjoying the freedom. :lol:

Kudo's BirdDog!  I'll never own another "new" car... only those "new to me" :)  And, I'll limit my expenditures to $2500... if I can't buy a decent car for that, I won't buy it!!  I love not having a car payment, love not having higher insurance premiums, and love cheaper registration costs...

My 2008 Fusion has 185K on the odometer, and in the worst shape (slipping tranny, bubbling dashboard, door handles, paint fading/chipping/rust) of all the cars in my driveway.

The rest of my fleet:

1993 Ford Probe SE - 124K (zero issues, like new)
1994 Ford Probe SE - 149K (minor fender ding and clear-coat failure on hood)
1996 Ford Probe GT - Mazada engine swap, 40K, needs re-painted, but only due to clear-coat failure
2005 Chevy Freelander - 110K, the whole thing is falling apart... cheap interior, motor is the only good thing about it
2002 Hyundai Elantra - 275K, and still going strong... has some rust in the fenders, but everything works on it
1974 VW Beetle - 86K, floor pans rusty, but runs like a new one
1969 Ford F250 - 24K on factory rebuilt 390 modified, rust in bed, but will go anywhere, anytime!
Plus, 3 Honda street-bikes, which are ridden regularly...

Insurance on all of them is dirt-cheap... I pay more for tags/registration every year than I pay for 3 or 4-months of insurance...

My family thinks I'm crazy for having all these in the driveway, but you never have to worry about that to drive when one needs a repair, repairs are cheap (and I do them myself), and when a family member needs to borrow a vehicle... guess where they come first?

Not having payments is nice.

Vehicles driven daily

2005 Dodge magnum all options 100k+

1990 GMC 4X4 350ci, 5speed manual, manual windows, cassette deck, paint going bad, 240k+ miles, still going strong.

2000 FXDX Harley Davidson.

Vehicles not driven very often

1981 Eldorado

1972 Firebird

1974 Norton 850 Commando

All paid for. Never buying another new car.

So glad to see so many people with older cars! Woo hoo! I agree no car payment, cheap registration and insurance make it worth it. As long as I can get from point A to B, it is good.

I am not sure what I will do when I need a newer car. By the time I reach that point, they will all be auto driven and electric. I still won't give up my old car.

My sister rented a car while they were visiting. It had all the touch screen stuff. It was nice to play with, but not sure if I want all that distraction in the car. They insisted that we take it to the drive in. Ugh! You couldn't see anything from the back seat, because of the small windshield, and the darn thing kept turning itself off after 5 minutes. So we had to restart the car to keep the radio going. What a pain. The one time I got to say, "I told you so" and not catch heat for it. We should have taken the jeep.

In 2010 I got the 2009 Chevy Impala to replace my beloved '94 Pontiac Grand Prix. Loved the Grand Prix but it was starting to nickel and dime me to distraction. Insurance totaled it out after a major hail storm made it look like swiss cheese but it still kept running, just had to replace the windshield. Still miss driving it, it was so much fun. My Impala is a joy to drive too, it just doesn't have the oomph that the Grand Prix did.

These days any vehicle with a manual transmission is pretty much safe from getting stolen as so many people can't drive a stick. Our 2000 S10 is fun to drive and it gives me something to do (get to be an active driver) instead of a lump behind the wheel. :)

I guess I learned a long time ago about the value of a decent vehicle compared to the price paid... and no, the quality does not go up just because it costs more :)  A good, older vehicle, well-maintained, and kept clean will get you from point A to point B just the same, and will do so with a little $ in your pocket at the end of the day....

I have a cousin that gave me a good advice when I was a teen... and I learned from his life-lessons... When he needed a car, he went to the auction-house, and bid $50 on every car that came through, and he'd eventually get one.  He'd drive it for months, sometimes years, and when it broke down, that is where he left it, and he'd buy another $50 car.  In the mid-80's, he bought a '78 Monte Carlo for $50... and was still driving it as a work-vehicle in 2001!!!  All he ever did to that car was change the oil, an occasional tune-up, and put tires on it... I've not talked to him in years, and for all I know, he still has it :)

Yes, I've bought new cars, and near-new cars... but after I bought my last one from a dealer's lot, and paid all that interest... nope, never again... just like household appliances, when I need one, I'll pay cash, and get what I can afford... if I can't afford it, I'll save up for it, and pay cash for it next month or the  month after (and if I need something like a fridge, today, I'll buy a used one until I can pull together enough to buy a new one that I want, then re-sell the used one or donate it away to someone needy).

And yes, BirdDog and Tam... manual transmissions are rarely stolen these days... not even the car thieves can drive stick, lol... which is why all but 3 vehicles in my driveway are manual transmissions!

BTW, I stand corrected on the 2005 Chevy... it's an Uplander... I must have been thinking of the Freestar (Ford) she traded for it (despite my begging her not to do it), and merged the two names together... ooops...

Yes, I've bought new cars, and near-new cars... but after I bought my last one from a dealer's lot, and paid all that interest... nope, never again... just like household appliances, when I need one, I'll pay cash, and get what I can afford... if I can't afford it, I'll save up for it, and pay cash for it next month or the  month after (and if I need something like a fridge, today, I'll buy a used one until I can pull together enough to buy a new one that I want, then re-sell the used one or donate it away to someone needy).

These are very wise words that I wish I fully understood and appreciated when I was younger. All the financial talking heads I listen to say this exact same thing. Im glad I finally learned to live within my means before it was too late. :)

I have a cousin that gave me a good advice when I was a teen... and I learned from his life-lessons... When he needed a car, he went to the auction-house, and bid $50 on every car that came through, and he'd eventually get one.  He'd drive it for months, sometimes years, and when it broke down, that is where he left it, and he'd buy another $50 car.  In the mid-80's, he bought a '78 Monte Carlo for $50... and was still driving it as a work-vehicle in 2001!!!  All he ever did to that car was change the oil, an occasional tune-up, and put tires on it... I've not talked to him in years, and for all I know, he still has it :)

Never thought about auto auctions and buying a car for $50. Very smart. Just by selling the broken down for scrap would almost make $50 to buy the next car. Hmmm...something to think about.

After being unemployed for so long, I learned that lesson. I didn't buy anything unless absolutely necessary and paid for with cash. When I cleaned out my house, I realized all my furniture was used. It all had come from thrift sales or auctions. Everything in my living room cost less than $300. So I wasn't too upset when it all was carted away. 

These are very wise words that I wish I fully understood and appreciated when I was younger. All the financial talking heads I listen to say this exact same thing. Im glad I finally learned to live within my means before it was too late. :)

Agreed. :)

I wish someone had held me down and beat that into me when I was younger too, lol.

I kinda learned the hard way, and wised-up when I sat down and worked through my annual expenses about 10-yrs ago... and realized how much in debt I truly was (most of it going to the banks).  I have one CC now, which I only use for fuel and/or the occasional vape-gear purchase (paid monthly in full), and owe nothing more than my monthly utilities, living expenses, and the occasional medical expense.  I'll never pay interest to the bank again for another car (or appliance, or furniture), and if I can help it... same for a house!  If I have to for a house, I'll have to, but I'll knock out as much in cash as possible, and eat lots of Ramen Noodles to get it paid off in 5-7 years! :D  Heck, I've been needing to remodel a bathroom due to a leaky tub for a year (yes, the leak has been fixed, but the damage was done), and finally (this month) bought the last of the materials needed to tackle the job... new RGB-LED fixtures, toilet, sink, tile, and the old tub is getting replaced with a poured-concrete, walk-in shower with multiple shower-heads and endless hot-water....  Now, to just get the time to do all the work!

Never thought about auto auctions and buying a car for $50. Very smart. Just by selling the broken down for scrap would almost make $50 to buy the next car. Hmmm...something to think about.

After being unemployed for so long, I learned that lesson. I didn't buy anything unless absolutely necessary and paid for with cash. When I cleaned out my house, I realized all my furniture was used. It all had come from thrift sales or auctions. Everything in my living room cost less than $300. So I wasn't too upset when it all was carted away. 

Around here, a junk car body (without engine) is worth $200 from the scrap-yards.  So, yeah, even buying a car for $200-500 is a good investment, if you can get it to run for more than a couple of months, it's still cheaper than a monthly car payment!  My son paid $800 for his Elantra, and it's been a good running car since he bought it in 2009... and the most expensive repair was a new radiator ($100)...

Every piece of furniture in my LR is either second-hand, family heirloom, or bought on close-outs... but none of it is junk, it's all quality, and I don't care if the end-tables don't match the coffee table...  Every bedroom uses shelves and/or 3x3 closetmaid cube-shelves with cloth baskets for storing clothes... no need to have $1000 particle-board dressers and chests when a $39 cube-shelf actually holds MORE... if I can't make it myself (like I did with my Pine bed and chest/wardrobe), I go for economical function over beauty.  Like you, I'm good with something that "works", because I'm not out to impress my neighbors with fancy stuff :)

I remember the days when we would get ramen by the case, it's not bad with a little meat and other things added to it.

I still buy it by the case, and keep a case or two in the pantry... it's a good side-item or snack when you're alone and don't feel like cooking a big meal, or are tired of sandwiches.  My boys will fix it from time to time, adding in jalapenos, and whatever left-overs are in the fridge... my middle son like the shrimp ramens with tuna... glad it's his stomach, not mine :)

I used to like frying it with some spam mixed in with it. I miss them days sometimes.

:lol: I received the Hawaiian Spam Cook Book as a gift for dog sitting the other day. I love it! Pretty sure there was a recipe that involved ramen in there.

Hawaiians like their spam. I used to work with a Hawaiian one day the company bought pizza for everyone, he was told they bought a Hawaiian pizza, the first thing he asked was where's the spam. 

There are so many different ways to make ramen but Sapporo Ichiban is the only brand allowed in my house. Yes, I'm a ramen snob. Hiyashi Chuka can (and most frequently is) made with ramen noodles. It's like a salad on top of cold ramen noodles in a sauce. Very good on hot summer days.  :)

http://japanesefood.about.com/od/noodlessoup/r/hiyashichuka.htm

It makes for some interesting twists and turns. I learn so much from them.  :D

I couldn't agree more. After all, if it wasn't for hijacked threads, I would never have known that I shouldn't show up at your house with a box full of Maruchan ramen 😀.

I am on a plan to becoming debt free in a lot of areas the next 7 years but just cannot bring myself to drive an older car. We bought an 09 with 75000 miles waiting on the new body style Yukon to come out when our last lease was up and it about killed us. It's the technology and comfort that I am a fan of plus I'm no mechanic and back in the day I got stranded too many times lol. When this lease is up we plan to take the plunge and buy our 15 Yukon and drive it till the wheels fall off it, by far the favorite of all we have driven. Just gonna have to force ourself to do it and I can cover it with warranty another 7 years at that point. I will continue to lease my daily driver as long as I can drive a $36k MSRP Terrain for $244 a month like now with all maintenance and full warranty for the entire term. To me that's a no brainier the way I think about things lol.