Kanger Subtank mini v2

DragonGunner

Hi all. Today I just received my new Kanger subtank mini v2. I put in the .5 ohm prebuilt coil in it and it working flawlessly. Taste is great and the airflow even better than the original subtank mini. I took apart the 1.2 ohm coil to look at the insides (never vaped it). When I took apart the coil I noticed one of the coil legs had a plastic sleeve on it as some type of insulator. Is this right? In my experience coils get very hot and if there is a plastic sleeve on it would it not be prone to melting? I have included a pic of what I found. Any insight or user experience would be very grateful. 

At the end of the day I really don't care about the prebuilt coils because I will never use them. I'm more of a build my own type of guy.

20150729_183601[1].jpg

That sleeve is probably silicone, not plastic, so it won't melt.  Maybe they use them to prevent arcing between the legs, since they are so close together, and are prone to high receiving higher Amps than a KPT coil?

Ya you are probably right Earthling. How does someone tell if something is plastic or silicone? Is there a way? How much heat does it take to melt silicone or wont it with the temps that we are using?

Different temps, really... it depends on the quality of the silicone, but plastic will melt at MUCH lower temps.... a couple-hundred-degrees for some grades.

Silicone will be more "rubbery/spongy" feeling, unless it is a high-grade of plastic (silicone infused).  Either shouldn't melt or cause issues on the leads (it was likely on the positive lead, right?).

Heck I don't...lol I just ripped it out and it was there. I am glad though that you put my fears to rest. It's always good to know what they put in our vape gear. :)  Thanks again bro.

Just built a clapton in the new RBA section (see pics in the post your build section). I wanted to come out with a touchdown on the first build. I think the build was a touchdown. As far as performance so far so good. Wicking is totally different but so far the wicking is keeping up with the build. I really like the screw on the side of the chimney as it makes removing the chimney so easy (not like the original which for me was a pain to remove every now and again. The top cap for the chimney also has an o-ring making it so much more easy to remove (that little cap is also a pain in the rear to remove from the original subtank mini every now and again). This new subtank mini is definitely a keeper. Plus I love the matt style finish it comes with.

I thought that the new style of wicking (holes on side of chimney vs holes at base of chimney) wouldn't prove as efficient. Boy was I wrong. The new holes on the side of the chimney efficiently wick my cotton very well. I still fluff up my cotton ends a bit (not thinning) and just sort of gently stuff them down the chimney sides to cover the holes. I only vape heavy vg juices (80+vg) and the wicking keeps up superbly. I look forward to hearing what you all think.

I have had mine for about 2 weeks. I am using the stock coils, not really in to building my own. The only issues I have is the holes in the atomizer are so high above the bottom of the deck that there is a lot of juice in the tank that can't be used. Not really a big deal, but I have been trying new juices, and now after seeing comps smash line, acquired a bottle of who knows what flavors all mixed together. It beats dumping what's in the bottom.  The other issue is that every time I refill it floods, it then gurgles and spits for 10-15 hits. I have the black one so there is a line on the chimney where the black stops and it is polished, I guess for the o-ring to seal on, that I keep the liquid below when filling.  I have used 50/50, 70vg/30pg and 60vg/40pg, all with the same results