Husband coughs his head off when vaping.

moonbean

Any suggestions to help get the hubby on board? He seems to have this problem no matter what we do. Is it pg/vg? Is it heat? I get the occasional heavy throat hit but he seems to always have this problem. Just trying to make this work for him, too.

Analogs contain 4000+ chemicals, and more than one of them are anesthetics to reduce gag-reflex and coughing (while inhaling all those toxic chemicals).  Vaping contains none of those things!  PG is what carries flavor, but it also is what produces the majority of the Throat-hit.  I would suggest he use a higher VG% (lower PG%) e-liquid, and make sure the device is not turned up too high.  Even if you're a 30-yr smoker, you should start out with lower-powered devices, and experiment with juices (flavors and ratios).

What device is he using, and what is the e-liquid (brand/flavor/nicotine/ and PG/VG)?

Analogs contain 4000+ chemicals, and more than one of them are anesthetics to reduce gag-reflex and coughing (while inhaling all those toxic chemicals).  Vaping contains none of those things!  PG is what carries flavor, but it also is what produces the majority of the Throat-hit.  I would suggest he use a higher VG% (lower PG%) e-liquid, and make sure the device is not turned up too high.  Even if you're a 30-yr smoker, you should start out with lower-powered devices, and experiment with juices (flavors and ratios).

What device is he using, and what is the e-liquid (brand/flavor/nicotine/ and PG/VG)?

It's happened with every device from Evod, an ijust, to my iStick, he mostly tries with juice from new leaf with 2.4 nicotine, but he does the same with my lower strength juices, I think most of the juices are 50/50. I really want him to succeed so he stops smelling like an ashtray now that I'm off the stinkies. I will shop for some higher vg juices in flavors he likes (coffees and tobaccos) and see if that helps at all. He keeps trying for me, but I hate seeing him gag and cough. My best friend complains of the same problem. If I can find the solution I will be their hero!

Higher VG, lower Nicotine (might try a 12mg or 18mg until he's use to the act of vaping), and try a tank with adjustable airflow (Nautilus, Aerotank, etc.).  I'd also recommend coil resistances in the 1.5-2.0 Ohm range for a new vaper (sub-ohm is HARSH if you're not ready for it, IMO), and the last thing... mouth-to-lung hits, rather than full-lung hits are recommended for a new vaper, too.

My liquids are all 12 or 6, he just doesn't like my fruity and sweet flavors. He coughs when he tries mine as well. All of our tanks are in the 1.5-2.1ohm range. I'm not sure *I* want the subohm thing yet. I turn the wattage or voltage down on the devices that have the ability to adjust. I think it may be getting better, but it's hard to tell. Thank you all for your advice. I will try to get some different liquids for him and see if we can get him vaping like a pro. I'm just glad he's willing to keep trying. No matter what the news is trying to say, I know this is better than smoking, and I'm actually enjoying it. I keep looking at new stuff I want and trying not to go on a crazy gear ordering spree. I've got a bunch of juices in the mail to try and am anxiously awaiting the slow mailman.

My liquids are all 12 or 6, he just doesn't like my fruity and sweet flavors. He coughs when he tries mine as well. All of our tanks are in the 1.5-2.1ohm range. I'm not sure *I* want the subohm thing yet. I turn the wattage or voltage down on the devices that have the ability to adjust. I think it may be getting better, but it's hard to tell. Thank you all for your advice. I will try to get some different liquids for him and see if we can get him vaping like a pro. I'm just glad he's willing to keep trying. No matter what the news is trying to say, I know this is better than smoking, and I'm actually enjoying it. I keep looking at new stuff I want and trying not to go on a crazy gear ordering spree. I've got a bunch of juices in the mail to try and am anxiously awaiting the slow mailman.

When I first started, I had the same problem.  It took a while to get over the "tickle" that it caused in my throat.  I was using the small iClear16's and an ego battery and it felt harsh to my throat.  I found some better juice at a local shop and some better equipment (Kangar Protank 2 mini).  I also got some advice which was to drink more water which really seemed to help my coughing.  After a few days I was adjusted and coughing stopped.

Am I the only one who had to UP the power to get rid of that annoying tickle and get a good solid

throat hit with no cough?

Lowering the nic didn't do it for me and I don't react well to too much VG so going up in watts was all

that worked for me. When I use a mech and the voltage gets too low I still get that tickle and cough sometimes

even after all these years lol.

Yes JeffB I already know I'm odd,no need for you to point it out TYVM! 

My advice

He needs more airflow.  Have him start the inhale or take a short breath before he fires it.  He can also slipstream it (take air in with the hit at the mouthpiece by letting air slip in through his lips while he's taking a hit)  try that.

My advice

He needs more airflow.  Have him start the inhale or take a short breath before he fires it.  He can also slipstream it (take air in with the hit at the mouthpiece by letting air slip in through his lips while he's taking a hit)  try that.

Alternatively it could be too much airflow.  My personal experience when I first started vaping was that I was trying for too much too soon.  I was subconsciously overcompensating and started trying direct lung hits right away.  I gagged with almost every hit.  It took some trial and error before I realized that.  For me it wasn't the nic level, the PG level or the VG level.  It was all about the airflow and the inhale technique.  For me vaping is a very different sensation than smoking and by overcompensating, I was exposing myself to something I wasn't used to.  I lowered my airflow a bit and switched to mouth to lung hits until I got used to it.  Then I gradually increased my airflow and gradually went back to direct lung hits.  That might be something else for your husband to take into consideration.  I understand that just because it helped me get past the coughing doesn't mean it will help your husband, but it could be worth a shot.

Hmmmm....now that I've reread my post and seen how Adversarious has taken my meaning, I realize when I said "airflow" I really meant oxygen. He needs more oxygen in my opinion.  Ive only known a couple of people that struggled with coughing and this seemed to solve it for them.

So just to be clear, I was trying to give the suggestion of starting off a hit with an initial inhale of fresh air, then adding vapor.

If you're doing mouth to lung hits: while you are pulling vapor in to the mouth start a shallow inhale of oxygen through the nose then pull vapor from mouth in to lung.  Or, take a short breath just before pulling vapor in to the mouth.

In direct to lung hits: slipstream with the mouthpiece.

Of course, there can be different solutions and different causes for the coughing so I'm not meaning to contradict anything that has been suggested.  They're all good suggestions. 

I don't think I read what power setting you had the batteries set at? If it's too high, that will also produce a really harsh hit that will cause coughing.
Start at one of the lowest settings, vape. If it's not doing it for him, turn it up a little. Vape. Repeat until he gets just a little bit of a burnt taste. Back it down a notch or two and that should be the sweet spot for him and the juice.

Also, I would suggest that he pull the vapor into his mouth, let it sit for just a second before he inhales it. That's called the "mouth to lung" method. Usually, that helps too.

Vaping dehydrates you so you both want to be drinking lots of water. Not coffee, tea, juice or soda but just plain water. It's also good to help wash the toxins from the cigarettes out of your body.

Let us know how he's doing!  :)

I was experimenting yesterday, and the way you vape and how "often" you vape seems to be the main cause for dry mouth and cough... fast inhales directly into your lungs will cause the cough, and vaping none stop without breaks will give you the dry mouth. Slow soft inhales into your mouth instead of lungs will stop the cough, and 2 or 3 inhales between vaping seasons will stop the dry mouth, chain vaping is the main cause of all this side effects.

I don't think I read what power setting you had the batteries set at? If it's too high, that will also produce a really harsh hit that will cause coughing.
Start at one of the lowest settings, vape. If it's not doing it for him, turn it up a little. Vape. Repeat until he gets just a little bit of a burnt taste. Back it down a notch or two and that should be the sweet spot for him and the juice.

Also, I would suggest that he pull the vapor into his mouth, let it sit for just a second before he inhales it. That's called the "mouth to lung" method. Usually, that helps too.

Vaping dehydrates you so you both want to be drinking lots of water. Not coffee, tea, juice or soda but just plain water. It's also good to help wash the toxins from the cigarettes out of your body.

Let us know how he's doing!  :)

I usually vape around 10 watts, I bump it down to 5 for him and he may go up a tiny bit but not much. He actually was a bit better last night with some coaching about mouth to lung hits and slow soft inhales. Waiting on my next juice order to get here with 70vg/30pg mix and see if that helps as well. He has definitely cut down on smoking. I am 16 days smoke free. Glad I joined here and so many friendly folks are willing to offer advice.

Congrats on being 16 days smoke free! That's great.  :)  We're a pretty friendly bunch around here with lots of good folks willing to help those who want to get off the analogs. Ask questions, read lots of threads on the forum, and have fun!