Bum coil head?

Kevo88

Hi guys. So I've been using my kanger subox for a few weeks now. The first head lasted about 2 weeks before I started to notice a subtle drop in flavor and vapor production. I tossed in a new head on Saturday, and today (about 5 days of vaping later) I am noticing a significant loss of flavor. What I'm wondering is if I ran into a dud, or is this par for the course for kanger coils? The head in question is labelled 0.5ohm, but is reading 0.6ohm on my box. I usually vape between 22-30 watts, depending on the cravings. I will admit that I have been chain vaping a bit this week, but I wasn't expecting this to die that quick. Thanks in advance for the help!

Well I do not sub-ohm so I am not sure about the life of those BUT the standard Kanger single coils I use seem to drop off in flavor and vapor production about every 7-8 tankful's (3ml tank) and I just change them out as cheap as they are. I am using 1.8ohm at 7.5w and never even look at the setting.

22-30w blows my mind. Anything over 8 tastes burned to me with my liquid and configuration. Somehow my IStick got unlocked and turned up to 18w once and I about choked from the burned taste lol.

Well, it's good to know that this isn't too out of the ordinary lol. I've been going at about a tank and a half a day, so it seems pretty on par with both of your experiences. Looks like that rba is going to have to start getting some use in!

I only guessing here..but isn't the life of the coil related to the power you using ? I try to keep the power of my battery at a sensible setting..enough for a good hit but without a massive cloud, and my coils seems to last forever.

Well, it's good to know that this isn't too out of the ordinary lol. I've been going at about a tank and a half a day, so it seems pretty on par with both of your experiences. Looks like that rba is going to have to start getting some use in!

for that tank and that coil at that power setting that's pretty normal. You're pushing that coil pretty hard at 30watts especially if you're chain vaping.  It also depends on the sweetness of your juice and the coloring. That can contribute to shorter coil life too. But you're in the ballpark. Not too unusual. 

I have been using mainly sweet, dark juices so far, so I'm sure you're correct that that has something to do with it. Being a newb, I don't really have a frame of reference in terms of the whole high power vs lower power, I was mainly just going off of the suggested wattages card and kind of landing where it was tasty lol. Which is also a bit suprising, because I thought I was being a bit conservative. I'll have to try to fiddle around with some of the lower settings. Funny thing is, the girl at the vape shop recommended I start at 20w.

I have been using mainly sweet, dark juices so far, so I'm sure you're correct that that has something to do with it. Being a newb, I don't really have a frame of reference in terms of the whole high power vs lower power, I was mainly just going off of the suggested wattages card and kind of landing where it was tasty lol. Which is also a bit suprising, because I thought I was being a bit conservative. I'll have to try to fiddle around with some of the lower settings. Funny thing is, the girl at the vape shop recommended I start at 20w.

Knowing Vape Shops in general (I know a generalization they are not all the same) this does not surprise me. To this day I have yet to spend one cent in a local vape shop they are about as knowledgeable as a 30 day vaper that has read and searched the site for advice lol. All you need to open a Vape shop is the capital there is no knowledge requirement unfortunately.

A good way to see it is like cooking..if you use to much heat you'll burn the food, if you use to little your food won't cook correctly..to much heat will also ruin your frying pan, and you will have to buy a new one every few meals.

Edited by cesar

A good way to see it is like cooking..if you use to much heat you'll burn the food, if you use to little your food won't cook correctly..to much heat will also ruin your frying pan, and you will have to buy a new one every few meals.

That is one good analogy. If you don't mind, I'm probably going to use that at some point.

Knowing Vape Shops in general (I know a generalization they are not all the same) this does not surprise me. To this day I have yet to spend one cent in a local vape shop they are about as knowledgeable as a 30 day vaper that has read and searched the site for advice lol. All you need to open a Vape shop is the capital there is no knowledge requirement unfortunately.

Yeah I guess I should've seem that coming. I think she just sold me based on her personal preference. Three guesses what she was vaping with? Lol.

I have found that the lower ohm coils will take a higher wattage as long as there is good air flow and the wick stays wet. I haven't gotten my subtank mini yet, it should be waiting for me tomorrow when I get home. I have a Starre tank currently, I have been running the .5 ohm coil between 30 and 50 watts depending on the liquid in it, but that thing has massive airflow.

From someone who vapes sweet, dark juices... they will gunk up a coil much faster than lighter colored, less sweet juice. Case in point. I love my HH.357 atomizers. One will last nearly a week to two weeks with my ADV, which is dark and very sweet. Using the same style HH.357 atomizer, using lighter color, less sweet juice, it's lasted over a year already. Keep in mind I don't chain vape the latter but it still gets a regular workout.   :)

I have found that the lower ohm coils will take a higher wattage as long as there is good air flow and the wick stays wet. I haven't gotten my subtank mini yet, it should be waiting for me tomorrow when I get home. I have a Starre tank currently, I have been running the .5 ohm coil between 30 and 50 watts depending on the liquid in it, but that thing has massive airflow.

from the little bit of experimenting I've done, I've sorta dialed in my sweet spot around 28w with the airflow at the most wide open setting. It gives some great flavor, and a really dense vapor. The only problem is that I end up hazing up a small room after 2-3 puffs. 

I've used an aspire atlantistank with .5ohm coils on a 30w mod for the last 6 months. For the last month i got a new atlantis ver2 with .3ohm coils on a 30-70 watt mod I've been running at about 50 watts. I use all kinds of juices but they're always high vg juices. (70-80% vg). I run through about 3 tankfulls a day (6-9 mls), and on average get 3-4 weeks out of ONE coil. I never got that kind of life out of a pro tank coil. A week at best with those, plus those are like sucking a golf ball through a garden hose. These new sub ohm tanks are honestly amazing and i highly recommend getting into one. I've been vaping for 5 years and these things are by far the best vape I've ever had. Just my .02

I have the same problem, my wife has issues with me using the sibohm tank in the house....

from the little bit of experimenting I've done, I've sorta dialed in my sweet spot around 28w with the airflow at the most wide open setting. It gives some great flavor, and a really dense vapor. The only problem is that I end up hazing up a small room after 2-3 puffs.