Aspire Atlantis...Mysterious Burnt Taste...I need help!

At this point I don't know, do you have any backup batteries? most people have backups. I have 2 evics, 2 Kbox minis, and a half a dozen evods. A lot of people have backups for their backups. I can't see going without vaping, it would be like torture. Do you have any Vape stores near you? 

I do not own either so it is hard for me to say.  I have used Atlanis coils in another tank, and have vaped an Atlantis, so I can't really comment on the whether it is a good tank or not. 

I would recommend a good variable voltage/variable wattage mod though.  It just gives you so much more control.  You can go above battery voltage on the high side, and below on the low and as long as your battery is not dead it will provide a much more steady power to your atomizer.  I don't really know which one I would recomend though.  My favorite VV/VW is the ipv mini 2.  I also use a Sigelei mini but it is only 30 watts and wouldn't provide a full range of power for your tank.  There are a lot of other ones out there that I have no experience with such as the iStick 50, the SubBox Mini Kit, and many others.

At this point I don't know, do you have any backup batteries? most people have backups. I have 2 evics, 2 Kbox minis, and a half a dozen evods. A lot of people have backups for their backups. I can't see going without vaping, it would be like torture. Do you have any Vape stores near you? 

Nearest store is 2 hours away. This might give me an excuse to shy away from sub ohming. I like the vapor output but I don't like how fast I burn through juice. I might go for the iTaste 134 and get a backup battery and tank.

Edited by ColtonHodge

How long have you been at it?

The Subtank Mini in my opinion is a better starter tank than an Atlantis, just because you have the choice of a 1.2/1.5 ohm coil, a .5 ohm coil, and a rebuildable section should you want to go into that.

How long have you been at it?

The Subtank Mini in my opinion is a better starter tank than an Atlantis, just because you have the choice of a 1.2/1.5 ohm coil, a .5 ohm coil, and a rebuildable section should you want to go into that.

To be honest, I know a fair amount about vaping and building only because I've just picked up the knowledge along the way. But all I really want is some good cloud (not a TON), good taste, and something that is durable and will last a while on a charge. I'm not that picky, I really only vape because I'm bored.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but after a couple disgusting hits, vapor continues to seep out of the tip for a good 10 seconds. Then if you shake or move the pen, even more vapor comes out. This never used to happen.

Around here we highly recommend getting back ups.

And back ups of your back ups.

And back ups of your back up back ups.

Seriously.

Even if you get a few cheap stick batteries like the Evod or Vision Spinners and some Kanger Pro Tanks (versions 2 or 3) and some 1.8 ohm single coils (these will work with the 3 even though they come with dual coil). You can't beat a Kanger Pro Tank (whatever version, full sized or mini) for a good, solid workhorse. They're dependable and very cost effective. Despite all my RDAs and other toys, the KPT tanks are my go-to because I know they just work.  :)

To be honest, I know a fair amount about vaping and building only because I've just picked up the knowledge along the way. But all I really want is some good cloud (not a TON), good taste, and something that is durable and will last a while on a charge. I'm not that picky, I really only vape because I'm bored.

I understand what you are saying.  I really enjoy the Hobby.  To date my favorite tank is the SubTank mini, but like everything in vaping it is subjective.  I switch between it and the SauceCode.  I am doing straight lung hits so lots of air, and lots of juice.  The result is quite a bit of cloud, but it isn't the objective.

I understand what you are saying.  I really enjoy the Hobby.  To date my favorite tank is the SubTank mini, but like everything in vaping it is subjective.  I switch between it and the SauceCode.  I am doing straight lung hits so lots of air, and lots of juice.  The result is quite a bit of cloud, but it isn't the objective.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but after a couple disgusting hits, vapor continues to seep out of the tip for a good 10 seconds. Then if you shake or move the pen, even more vapor comes out. This never used to happen.

Is the fact that this is sub ohming one of the reasons I'm having problems? Or could I continue to use my Atlantis/.5 ohm coil combo just on a bigger mod battery?

Is the fact that this is sub ohming one of the reasons I'm having problems? Or could I continue to use my Atlantis/.5 ohm coil combo just on a bigger mod battery?

That is pretty standard.  Mine does that. It doesn't seem to do it that long, but it does do it.

I am really not sure if subohming is the problem, but it does come with a few more challenges.  I think the Atlantis and the .5 ohm will work fine, many people like it.  I think a mod with more control, not necessarily bigger would help.  You could start at 20 watts or so and work up.  35+ like you have with the fresh battery could be part of your problem. 

It is still really confusing me why it worked and now it doesn't.

That is pretty standard.  Mine does that. It doesn't seem to do it that long, but it does do it.

I am really not sure if subohming is the problem, but it does come with a few more challenges.  I think the Atlantis and the .5 ohm will work fine, many people like it.  I think a mod with more control, not necessarily bigger would help.  You could start at 20 watts or so and work up.  35+ like you have with the fresh battery could be part of your problem. 

It is still really confusing me why it worked and now it doesn't.

Yeah I'm not sure whether to buy a new battery or a new tank or some new coils.

oh man,  I don't know.  

I guess what what I don't like about it is you have no control over the output.

i don't suppose you have a meter and can measure the output of the battery?  Or measure your coil resistance? 

Edited by Bebop

Reason I ask. The Atlantis can use sub ohm coils or standard coils.  You said it came with all .5 ohm coils.  Are you sure? Or did you order sub ohm coils with the tank?  All of your symptoms make sense if your coils are above 1 ohm. It's possible you got a variety of coils with the tank. It would be unusual if they just sent .5 ohm coils with the tank. It could be mis marked coils. Am I understanding that you went 4 months on a coil that worked fine and then you swapped out a coil and now all of your coils are not working?

a simple $20 meter would answer all your questions most likely.  Something's not adding up.

If you're holding the fire-button all the way through your draw, the coil is still hot, and still vaporizing liquid after you pull it away from your mouth... this is why it continues to seep vapor from the tip.  A good way to minimize this is to release the button a couple of seconds before you stop your draw, and you still get the benefit of the vape as it cools-down, and it will also reduce wasting juice that way (burning after you stop your draw).

Another thing to think about is when a coil is hot and vaporizing juice, without air-flow, there is no vacuum-effect to draw liquid to the coil/cotton to keep it supplied/wet, so it will dry out the coil.  If it is hot enough due to high Wattage or long drags, it can even burn your cotton, which makes the next drag a "dry-hit", and thus further producing that disgusting flavor.

Bottom-line... release your fire-button a couple of seconds before you stop drawing on the tip :D

What volts/watts are you using?

4.2 volts 

you might be right. I got the platinum kit which came with a pack of 5 coils that claim to be .5 ohms. The first time I swapped the coil, everything was fine. Might have a bad batch or some mismatched coils. I do have an ohm meter so I will find out. 

• 6 months later...
9 minutes ago, kashley said:

Ever figure out the problem? Same thing is happening to me but I have a uwell crown tank and an eleaf istick 100w.

Yes it ended up being the VG in the juice. Especially with subtanks you have to be conscious of the PG and PG ratio because the juice holes can't keep up sometimes. Uwell crown could probably take a higher VG but don't crank up the wattage too much. It's all just experimentation

Awesome. I my issue just started and I didn't want to buy a whole new set up or new batteries if it was just the juice. So I have new juice with lower VG waiting on me at home. I'm gonna try a new coil with it too. It's been a hassle. I went through 2 packs of coils ( all .5 ohm) and still having trouble. Was gonna order new batteries next. But thank you!

Just now, kashley said:

Awesome. I my issue just started and I didn't want to buy a whole new set up or new batteries if it was just the juice. So I have new juice with lower VG waiting on me at home. I'm gonna try a new coil with it too. It's been a hassle. I went through 2 packs of coils ( all .5 ohm) and still having trouble. Was gonna order new batteries next. But thank you!

Make sure and prime the juice holes a bit with the new coil and let it sit for about 5 minutes. With that 0.5 you will been fine between 30-40 watts.