Youde Zephyrus

Seven Report

^^ This ^^

I understand the desire to cater to the cloud-chasers and super-sub-ohmers, but for the other 9 our of 10 of us in the real world, we prefer a solid, single-coil option, and replaceable coil-heads in a 0.8 Ohm and higher option!

IMO, the explosion of sub-ohm tanks has saturated the market, and those noobs to vaping are not getting good options for flavor and smoking cessation... they're getting pushed into "cloud-making", and expensive gear, which is not appealing, and turns away a lot of potential vapers!

My last trip into the most well-stocked B&M locally, I was rather shocked at the selection... three cases of high-end devices, RDA's, sub-tanks, high-powered APV's, etc.... and one tiny selection of Spinners, KPT2's, Davides, Nautilus, coils, etc., and they were pushing the Kanger, Horizon, and Yocan sub-tanks HARD (along with $100+ box-mods, $20/each batteries, and $40 chargers).  Yeah, it's more profit, but what is that doing for promoting vaping to noobs?

(sorry, got on a little rant there, lol)

Edited by Earthling789

No, you are right on.

There is a little bit of a double-edged sword, though. A smaller percentage of smokers are not satisfied with basic gear- egos and clearos. I think the sub ohm tanks help them, especially if they aren't highly motivated to quit to begin with.

But the push is on to sell high end gear (read: more than you need) 😊.  And I'm not so sure getting beginners excited about subtanks and subohm vaping is great for vaping in general. It moves it out of smoking cessation and in to hobby and fad.  Most will find they are only gonna be using a 1.2 ohm coil at 15watts anyway.  And some are not gonna like the technique changes that come with higher watts and more airflow and the complication with all the variables and pieces.   

Honestly, my subtank mini is just a suped up protank. And the dual coil Zeph is too much for most of my vaping sessions throughout the day unless I'm alone or outdoors. 

Some good points concerning those new to vaping. But I don't think there's anything wrong with becoming a hobby for those who are so inclined, no reason it can't be both smoking cessation and hobby. I started with a simple EVOD 2 starter kit, but within a couple of months needed something more powerful and went to the MVP 2 with an Aerotank. That increased power and airflow really bumped up the flavor. Then I went to the Subtanks and iSticks and find that the sub ohm coils do provide more flavor (especially with that organic cotton) and flexibility. 

Sub ohming may not be for everyone, and there are still plenty of options available in the under 15 watt mod and 1.5 - 2.0 ohm coils. If your vape shop isn't stocking what you need you can found loads of stuff online.

I must be the only person that actually downgraded after I tried one of that monster vaporizers...I like a more settle hit with a softer flavour..it is such a thing as " to much power ", probably the wrong thing to say to Americans... but.  :harhar:

Edited by cesar

Love it. But I want a single coil deck option.

This has been my quest. I have gone back to the Lemo 2 and Subtank mini with a twisted 32ga Kanthal and 30ga Nickel and really enjoying it.  I guess I am getting to old and vision is going away.  I can just barely stuff a single coil in these tiny RTA's (SubTank), much less a dual coil.  I am anxiously awaiting  some real reviews on the new   Goliath V2  with the thing that blocks off one side so you can build it single coil.

Edited by jasonculp

So not impressed with the Kanger Subtank with the .05 ohm coil so far. I prefer mouth to lung and the .05 ohm coil makes it impossible (for me) to do anything less than full-on lung hits. Need to try the 1.2 ohm coil to see if that's any different. If it's not, I may just give this thing away as it won't see any use in my arsenal.  :)

So not impressed with the Kanger Subtank with the .05 ohm coil so far. I prefer mouth to lung and the .05 ohm coil makes it impossible (for me) to do anything less than full-on lung hits. Need to try the 1.2 ohm coil to see if that's any different. If it's not, I may just give this thing away as it won't see any use in my arsenal.  :)

You'll appreciate the 1.2 ohm coils far more. They make the subtank a KPT on steroids :D

I totally agree with Earthling.  The 1.2 and possibly the lowest airflow setting will be much better for MTL hits.  I started that way, and now I am doing lung hits (be careful, it is addictive IMO).  In fact, it will be hard for me to go back.  I am cutting my nic down quite a bit, but I am going through a lot more juice (this will be good for Comp..lol)

You can also get 1.5ohm coils for a subtank. Both of mine came with a .5 coil installed, but have a 1.5 in the box, I have to agree with you Tam the .5 coils are a bit much for me at this point. I really enjoy the light draw but I think I'm going to reduce my nic level from 8 to 6 or maybe even 3 try the 1.5 or the 1.2 whichever came in the box and lower the air to the lowest point. Like Earthling says its like a KPT on steroids.

The original horizontal coils shipped with the subtank were 1.2ohm but the new vertical coils shipped with the tank are 1.5ohm at least that's what I understand.

Edited by FXRich

I build most of my RTA's in the 1.2 - 1.5 Ohm range, so using the OCC heads @ 1.2 Ohm for me is little difference than what I am use to (and like) :D

I hadn't noticed the 1.5 Ohm OCC heads... I'll need to look for those.  I think they'd be even better with the larger capacity Subtank V2 Plus.  That way the coil won't be so hot it cooks the juice in the tank and ruins several ML before you can vape them...

Sweet Vapes has the 1.5 vertical OCC coils, costs a little more than the horizontal coils. I'm running a 1.5 OCC in one of my subtanks just to see how long it lasts, so far 2 tanks. not having a heat problem. How did this turn into a subtank post? 

I did build one subtank RBA with .5 flat wire, it came out at 1.7 and worked really good. It didn't get very hot after chain vaping, not even overly warm.

I like the subtank in that 1.2 to 1.7 range.  It works good with my juice.

This is all changed with temp control.  I am running a .16 ohm nickel coil now, but the temp is only around 400 - 420 degrees.

I was thinking about TC but decided it might be too new. Kept thinking they might come out with a TC that works with kanthal, would be nice.

It would be nice.  But due to the nature of Kanthal, without a separate sensor, it is going to be nearly impossible.  The Nickel is not too hard to work with, but you have to build massive coils just to stay in the .1 ohm range.  I have dropped to 30 gauge just so I can fit it into the tiny atomizer.  I am trying to use twisted kanthal and nickel and it is working pretty good.

I really recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind making their own coils, or paying a bit more for nickel coils.  Once you get the hang of it is great.

There are a few places that sell premade twisted nickel coils I looked into that. I think I read somewhere that when the nickel gets hot it changes resistance, and that way the temp can be controlled. Kanthal  may not change resistance enough.

You can also get 1.5ohm coils for a subtank. Both of mine came with a .5 coil installed, but have a 1.5 in the box, I have to agree with you Tam the .5 coils are a bit much for me at this point. I really enjoy the light draw but I think I'm going to reduce my nic level from 8 to 6 or maybe even 3 try the 1.5 or the 1.2 whichever came in the box and lower the air to the lowest point. Like Earthling says its like a KPT on steroids.

The original horizontal coils shipped with the subtank were 1.2ohm but the new vertical coils shipped with the tank are 1.5ohm at least that's what I understand.

Just picked up some 1.5 ohm coils at My Vapor Store.

Um... I think an Eleaf iStick 50W might've jumped into my cart when I wasn't looking too...  :evil: