Odd Duck Vaper after 40 years of smoking

Wong Numba

Odd duck here I think. I do not seem to fit the vaping culture mold. After 40 years of smoking the best tobaccos in the world (I like  English cigs and pipe tobaccos and Cuban cigars), I realized that vaping had real potential to get me to stop smoking. My problem is I really like tobacco. I was a pit bull though plowing through all the disappointments of crappy juice, dead batteries, leaky atomizers, faulty mods, and bad advice for about six months. I finally found the combinations that work for me. It wasn't easy. I am not a cloud blower or a flavor chaser. I find most vape shops I have visited to be oriented towards kids, the latest fashion hardware, cheap juice and cloud blowing. I am into quality in both my equipment and the liquids. I like high PG as the flavor is there. Unlike most, I do not like artificial food or synthetic tobacco flavors. I only vape natural tobacco flavors - that's what works for me. Unfortunately, that is not what most are into in the forums and the vape shops are devoid of like minded compatriots. Maybe there are a few other "odd ducks" around?

Edited by Wong Numba
syntax

Well we have some things in common I cannot stand going to vape shops so I just don't and never will lol. In going on 3 years I have yet to buy a single thing from a vape shop and get everything from US Suppliers online. I know what I like and like you, that is all I need. Same flavor and tank for over 2 years BUT I did buy an IStick 50w for the wife and I but not for the power more for the battery life. Its nice to charge every 3-4 days instead of every night! Other than that I cannot stand the taste or smell of tobacco anymore although I know  a lot of people do. You will most likely find some people here that like tobacco flavors though.

Welcome Wong Numba

You will find we are very diversified group here and everyone is welcome.  I think from your description you will fit in very well!  I don't know if anyone else vapes NETs on here though.  I, like you, and bcartervol98 i am not into the Vape Shop scene.  There was an group that gathered at one that was a bit older and I enjoyed that, but it went out of business.

I do inadvertently enjoy clouds, but it is just because I like 80/20 and 70/30 juice with very high airflow tanks.  I like the thick rich vapor I get from them.  I am very careful of where and when I vape because of it.  I don't do it to "blow clouds" or to impress anyone.

I also love new equipment.  If it fits into my categories that I like, I will do my best to buy it.  It has turned into a hobby/obsession.

I don't know what you mean by a flavor chaser, I do chase good flavor, but I only use 3 flavors.  I have my all day vape, and 2 flavors I use infrequently. I don't chase "new" flavors.

I really think that this place will be a good fit for you. There are so many good people here, and so many different styles of vapors, and it is such a personal habit, most people here are very accepting of everyone's different choices!

The beauty of vaping is the diversity.  Options are out there for anybody and everybody. finding the right setups and flavors are always a challenge initially, but once you find it, all is right with the world. I found my sweet spot a few years back.  I still like the occasional new gadget, but always go back to dripping.  Like you, I prefer quality

If you are into tobacco flavor and want what a lot of people call the best you should mix your own juice using Tobacco Absolute. Its pure tobacco flavor. But it is spendy $160.00 for a four ounce bottle of flavoring. How much juice it makes depends on the % you use.

I still use tobacco flavours for my vaping, I just enjoy the taste nothing to do with the actual nicotine. I think you and I are probably from the same generation, when smoking was as normal as having a cup of coffee. As for the actual tobacco flavours in e-liquids, the majority are rubbish... and you getting the PG wrong, for an authentic tobacco taste you want the opposite... more VG and less PG or you will end up with sweet tobacco flavours, you want to kill the flavour a bit for a more bitter taste.

• 1 month later...

I too think as an odd duck.  I even had a pet duck as a boy.  Often been asked, "didn't the other kids call you duck boy?"  Actually called worse but never that :)  I too use vaping to stay off tobacco and I too liked high end smoke and was in heaven for a while when I went to Malaysia where Cubans are legal albeit expensive.  Great treat on occasion.  I started vaping full time after almost 50 years of cigs pipes cigars, and I still love the smell of tobacco smoke and follow a smoker on the street like a dog in heat.  I tell the folks in the smoking lounges at airports that I'm suffering from a second hand smoke deficiency. But I've been vaping exclusively and quite happily with many a moment of hiccups like you mention: leaky tanks faulty batteries bad designs burnt coils crappy liquid etc. etc. etc.  for two years and three months.  I'm just about to open my newly minted homemade tobacco flavoured juice as found in the DIY sub forum here and can't wait.  I've always been of the mind set that a Hershey Bar never was a substitute for a cigarette so why would I think a food flavoured liquid would work for a tobacco cessation vaping experience.  Actually I'm really happy that it works for so many, but it's not my cuppa.  Welcome aboard and I'd love to hear what you discover on your journey to finding the best flavours.  After two years of vaping I finally went to my first B&M in Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam and was impressed with their business plan.  They have online and placed in Hotel adverts a delivery service for their products.  When I went to find them they were in about a quarter shop sized place.  Tiny but the guys were very friendly and knew a bit.  I bought my first Eleaf iStick 20W there.  Got taken for about 12 dollars extra I was so informed later :)  I too have decided that based on that I'd not be much of a fan of Vape shops.  I'll let you know after I visit the two newly opened in close proximity to my house.  Maybe a pleasant surprise.