The South.....

There are many things I LOVE about living in the South. I hunt, I fish and am not scared to eat a chitterling or squirrel brains. I am as proud of my Southern heritage as anyone could be and would live nowhere else. With that said, I am so sick of the bigotry and uneducated decisions made here. I blame religion as a whole because many of the people I know put more stake in what they learn in a 30 minute Sunday School class than in actual school where they teach evil things like science, sex ed and evolution. This is just one of a number of daily news stories like this I see every day. Not too long ago there was a HUGE push in Murfreesboro to not allow a Mosque to be built and the citizens even went as far as trashing and vandalizing the build site with 0 legal ramifications. Now a Tennessee State Trooper has been fired because he is a "black Muslim" as his supervisor referred to him as he was being sent to training on the radicalization of the youth of America. Will it ever stop? Will the people that cling to their rebel flags ever understand this type of behavior is why the flag has to go from all things government and in educational institutions? Will people ever realize that their enjoyment of the freedoms important to them is DIRECTLY dependent on them acknowledging and accepting the fact these freedoms are applied equally to all religious, races and now sexual orientations?

Personally I think our nation in the last 6 months has been through one of the most transformative in history and hopefully my children and their children someday will experience freedom because, right now, unless you are a white male Christian, you have yet to truly experience it!

Mind boggling:

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/2015/07/08/judge-fired-muslim-trooper-was-victim-of-discrimination/29869121/

And I am not blaming the flag for anything that has happened BUT think it is a wake up call we need to rid those things with negative connotations from government that is for ALL people. If you want to fly a Nazi flag its your right, just be ready to deal with the ramifications that come from it.

Its just like I have always said:

Not every Republican is a bigot or a racist BUT when I meet a raging bigot, they are almost always Republican

Not every Democrat is a free-loader living off the government BUT when I meet a free-loader, they are almost always a Democrat

Not everyone that are proud of Southern Heritage and want to preserve the rebel flag are racists BUT when I see a jacked up old 4x4 with a 4x6 rebel flag flying in the back I seriously doubt they are on their way to a "Unity Rally".

Edited by bcartervol98

The judge ruled that Dingus proved that he was discriminated against because of his religion

So he's just out of a job now? That's it?

There was a big stink about a Mosque being built in our town (it was finally approved). It was trashed a few times which is a sad site to see. Personally I don't care what religion a person practices no matter how weird/odd/strange it is so long as it doesn't infringe on others. More importantly that separation of church and state is always adhered too. I've read stories online about Muslim communities built up that are now pushing for Sharia law, for me personally, that's when the line is drawn. (The same applies to Christians as well) I come from a Christian family but I don't believe laws from any religious text should placed on the masses. 

At any rate it seems like this officer was put through a great injustice and it's wrong that he was fired on the grounds of his religion. I don't understand why he wasn't awarded anything. If my contracts were ended based on my religion it would be devastating for my family financially. 

I am sure he will have a civil remedy should he choose to pursue it but they aren't just going to admit they are wrong and give him his job back. This is Tennessee, doesnt work like that here. It took a federal judge to even say it was discrimination!

I am sure he will have a civil remedy should he choose to pursue it but they aren't just going to admit they are wrong and give him his job back. This is Tennessee, doesnt work like that here. It took a federal judge to even say it was discrimination!

Jeez is it really that bad down there? I know very little about the south other than what is taught in school. As someone who's in an interracial relationship I've always wondered how people would react to it down south these days. 

Jeez is it really that bad down there? I know very little about the south other than what is taught in school. As someone who's in an interracial relationship I've always wondered how people would react to it down south these days. 

Well most will be nice.....to your face. Bigotry and racism is very much alive here but I can see the light starting to shine in my generation and those that came behind me. I have dated women of several different races and have not gotten any comments BUT I have a very good friend with a mixed daughter and I am amazed how even good friends talk shat behind her back. My beautiful wife is mostly Native American and is very dark skinned so we joke we look like an interracial couple.

Then again take my son who is 10. He does not see color. He got mad because a teacher called his friend Brendan black because "Daddy he is not black he is light brown" lol. He did nto even equate it to a race but simply a skin color. When you see pics of my family we are all different colors. I am very white (SPF 50 all year) and my wife and youngest son are brown. My two older kids from a previous marriage are very white like me. I cannot get a tan even on the lake 8 months out of the year. I just burn lol.

In all seriousness I thought we had come farther than we have in the South when President Obama was elected. I was amazed how many otherwise educated people started dropping the N bomb and claiming him to have to be Muslim because of his name. Birthers were all around. I have 73, well 72 employees let one go this morning, but I would say 75% or more legitimately think Barack Obama was born in a foreign country, is 100% Muslim and is on a quest to destroy America. Now I will agree he has not been the best at doing what he said he would do but those are policy opinions not irrational bigoted opinions based on innate characteristics.

Its hard to keep my mouth shut most of the time man. I think we have gone backward over these last 6 years as opposed to forward in many regards BUT thank goodness we have the younger generation that are maybe the first truly enlightened generation to be raised in the South.

Do a Google search for the name "Stacy Campfield" and read some of his legislation especially about the LGBT community. He publicly said Aids was started by a Canadian airline attendant having sex with an infected monkey and that is how the epidemic started.

Oh forgot to mention he was a 5 term State Senator and member of the State House. He was finally defeated last year by a narrow margin and it took a GOP Doctor with 6 tours in the Persian Gulf to beat him.

Again he played to the uneducated that put more stake in their archaic religious beliefs and realized in this state, they are the only ones that matter because they vote.

Until 4 years ago a town within 10 miles of our Marina had a sign that read "Do not let the sun set on your black *** here" in the place where most towns have a "Welcome to _______" sign.

So yea, we have a long way to go. Its the climate, mountains, lakes, and a small group of "normal" friends that allow me to keep my sanity here.

I'm sick of the stereotype of all Muslims are terrorists,it really bugs the **** out of me.My motto is live and let live.Simple as that.Same thing with gay and lesbians,they aren't hurting anyone! Leave them the **** alone! Some of the nicest people I've ever met were either gay or Muslim...Needless to say ignorance is extremely prevelant in our "free" country.

That's ridiculous,. 

Well most will be nice.....to your face. Bigotry and racism is very much alive here but I can see the light starting to shine in my generation and those that came behind me. I have dated women of several different races and have not gotten any comments BUT I have a very good friend with a mixed daughter and I am amazed how even good friends talk shat behind her back. My beautiful wife is mostly Native American and is very dark skinned so we joke we look like an interracial couple.

Then again take my son who is 10. He does not see color. He got mad because a teacher called his friend Brendan black because "Daddy he is not black he is light brown" lol. He did nto even equate it to a race but simply a skin color. When you see pics of my family we are all different colors. I am very white (SPF 50 all year) and my wife and youngest son are brown. My two older kids from a previous marriage are very white like me. I cannot get a tan even on the lake 8 months out of the year. I just burn lol.

In all s.......

That's just ridiculous. I've occasionally run into a racist remark from a couple of oder folks (I had to do a double take because I was caught so off guard) but that fact it's still going strong is just ignorant. I remember someone walking up to my SO and saying straight up (at Chuck E Cheese) "what, your people aren't good enough for your" It was so blatant my mouth literally fell open. Until that moment I didn't even really think of us as an interracial relationship.   (You just sort of forget I guess) But afterwards I couldn't help but laugh. I mean it's just so ridiculous you know what I mean. 

And while I don't agree with some of Obama policies, it's a long shot to genuinely believe he's out to destroy the country. What a crock of ****. He's pushed through some great policies and some others that I sort think "eh?."  In general though I wished the focus in this country moved away from the president and more towards congress. I bet half of the people complaining have no idea who their local/state reps are. 

Proud of the small step South Carolina took today. Now if every Southern city, school and government body would do the same maybe healing can start after decades of sharing the same symbol of government with the KKK.

This is a GREAT article by the way highlighting Southern inspired musicians and their take. Worth a read!

Excerpt:

"If we want to truly honor our Southern forefathers, we should do it by moving on from the symbols and prejudices of their time and building on the diversity, the art and the literary traditions we’ve inherited from them. It’s time to study and learn about who we are and where we came from while finding a way forward without the baggage of our ancestors’ fears and superstitions. It’s time to quit rallying around a flag that divides. And it is time for the South to — dare I say it? — rise up and show our nation what a beautiful place our region is, and what more it could become."

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/07/09/magazine/the-souths-heritage-is-so-much-more-than-a-flag.html?_r=3&referrer=

Chris.....PRIME example of what drives me crazy.

One of my employees just told me in conversation that this next election does not even matter because we are going to have a race war and that will allow "Hussein" as he calls our President to declare martial law and cancel the election.

The saddest thing is he was 100% sincere and believes that ****.

Chris.....PRIME example of what drives me crazy.

One of my employees just told me in conversation that this next election does not even matter because we are going to have a race war and that will allow "Hussein" as he calls our President to declare martial law and cancel the election.

The saddest thing is he was 100% sincere and believes that ****.

ha, please. I mean it really depends on how bad things get but if they declared martial law, there are enough sleepy Americans that'd wake up pissed off and armed. Americans are sort of like lazy giants in my eyes, they just sort of hum drum along, but once they're pissed off...

The South produced Pat Conroy and Lynyrd Skynyrd. It's definitely not all bad :)

i suppose any of us could hold up unflattering examples of regional culture from our own areas.  California is probably as diverse as they come yet has all the racism to accompany it. It's shunned openly, but it exists. By and large it's a minority of trouble makers while the rest of us get along quite happily with each other. 

I would much rather live in the south then the north/Chicago...all it is up here is blacks killing blacks and then crying about it.. lots of extremely rude towel heads that think they are better then everyone...it's messed up here. Not to be offensive but I would rather be living in the south with my own people that work hard for the money they earn and have been brought up to respect each other. 

Edited by rainbowtears
And please the only reason I used "towel heads" is because I'm unsure how to describe them as a whole, respectively

Not every Republican is a bigot or a racist BUT when I meet a raging bigot, they are always named Sharpton and Jackson

Not every Democrat is a free-loader living off the government BUT when I meet a free-loader, they are almost always a Democrat

Not everyone that are proud of Southern Heritage and want to preserve the rebel flag are racists BUT when I see a jacked up old 4x4 with a 4x6 rebel flag flying in the back I seriously doubt they are on their way to a "Unity Rally".

Fixed that for ya :D

I'm not bashing the south just the prevalent attitude and I live in Knoxville possibly the most progressive city in the state. I was born and raised in Tennessee and have lived here 45 years and the extremes have gotten worse and worse. Maybe it's the same all over to an extent.

Dont get me wrong I love living here and would never consider moving anywhere north. I have passed many great economic opportunities because I would have to move north lol. It's just the vast majority of the people I know and work around are unable to accept anything or anyone that do not act or look like them. I mean in my smallish circle of friends and amongst the younger people it is different but amongst people my age I am definitely in the minority.

Then again I have an ACLU card and a NRA card in the same wallet so maybe I am the weird one for thinking everyone should be treated equally regardless of race or religion.

Born in Georgia, both my mom and dad were born there.
Moved when I was very young as my dad was in the Navy.
No matter were we lived ( California, East Coast, Hawaii, etc.) we always
had a tie to the South with the food on the table and our manner of talk.

I was taught early by my dad, that you judged a person by his deeds.
My years in the military taught me about trusting others and them trusting you.
For me, a person's 'word' is the most important thing about them.

Moved to Nashville to retire and have never regretted it one bit.
Like Knoxville, it is progressive enough for this guy.

Edited by MudDrum