California SB140 - California Specific

For those interested (and Californian vapers should be):

California Senate Bill 140, which would redefine all vaping devices and e-liquids as "tobacco products" under California State Law is set to go before the Assembly Governmental Organization Committee today at approximately 1:30 PM Pacific time.  I believe members from the Northern and Southern California SFATA chapters, NotBlowingSmoke.org, CASAA and possibly some other vape advocacy groups will be in attendance to speak before the committee.  I will be watching it stream live provided I can find the link.

It looks like the hearing might only be available as an audio stream.

If there is a video stream of the hearing, it can be accessed through THIS PAGE.  It will be the Assembly Governmental Organization Committee selection scheduled to start at 1:30 PM.

I'm not in CA, but anything those nannies do there will soon sweep across the country :(

I'm 100% against classifying vaping gear and e-liquids as tobacco-products!  Doing so will firmly entrench Big Tobacco in the driver's seat, and the only reason states want this to happen is so they can include vaping gear and e-liquid as "tobacco sales", to force Big Tobacco to pony up the dough politicians have already spent (before receiving it) from the Tobacco Settlement Agreement.  "Smoking is bad, you must quit"... then the reality of lost tax-revenue hits them in the wallet, so they quickly look for a new cash-cow!

I hope SB140 dies a horrible death on the Senate floor... TODAY!

The bill had actually already passed the Senate and was being evaluated by a committee for movement into the Assembly.  This particular battle was won.  Certain amendments to the bill were proposed and the committee voted to move the bill forward with those amendments.  Senator Mark Leno, the primary author and sponsor of SB140 did not like it with the amendments and he has essentially walked away from the bill, taking his support for SB140 with him.

The bill is now "being held in committee", which I think is legal-ese for "it's going to sit here and collect dust unless someone else wants to re-write it".

Basically, this was a battle won for vapers in California, but we know the war is far from over.