Candidates

lol I don't vote and I haven't voted in years,I really don't care who wins.Its all rigged anyway

In Presidential elections I tend to agree but with only 28-35% of those voting age that actually vote there is no way to know how the country feels. Fox polls show a hard right leaning nation, MSNBC polls show a hard left leaning nation and with 3 out of 4 voters sitting it out there is no way to truly gauge the "attitude of our nation" lol.

Imagine if that 65-72% of the nation banded together and said "WE WILL NOT VOTE FOR ANYONE WITH A D OR AN R BY THEIR NAME!"? Would things change?

A few things that must change:

Term Limits for all offices

No electoral College, popular vote only

Make it a felony punishable by prison for anyone holding public office to take one cent above their taxpayer paid salary

The two party system keeps us all in chains cheering for our team like a sporting event. Its time to do away with this!

Almost all of the people who I come into contact with are completely dissatisfied with the way things are going in this country, and almost all of them say they didn't vote because their vote doesn't matter anyway. :huh:

I've been saying we should do away with the representative democracy we have since i was 13. With the access to internet we have these days theres no reason at all we don't decide collectively as a nation our large bills, problems, elections etc. A direct democracy is really the only true form of democracy. Representatives were important 300 years ago when people had to ride in a wagon 4 towns over to cast a vote. They're simply not necessary anymore.

I've been saying we should do away with the representative democracy we have since i was 13. With the access to internet we have these days theres no reason at all we don't decide collectively as a nation our large bills, problems, elections etc. A direct democracy is really the only true form of democracy. Representatives were important 300 years ago when people had to ride in a wagon 4 towns over to cast a vote. They're simply not necessary anymore.

The "representative-to-population" ratio also wasn't skewed 250-300 years ago the way it is now.  445 idiots making sometimes life altering decisions for a nation with close to 350 million people?  Seriously?

A direct democracy wouldn't be any different. A few years back they had a ballot measure here in Oregon, it defined marriage as being between 1 man and 1 women, it passed with over 70% of the vote, then some judge overturned it. Same thing happened last election with illegals getting drivers licenses in Oregon the people voted over 80% to say no, one county in eastern Oregon voted 100% saying no, but guess what the illegals are getting drivers licenses. What happened to For the people of the people and by the people. (or something like that). The politicians don't care what the people want. 

California voted not once, but TWICE against gay marriage.  Those aren't necessarily my personal views, but statewide the voters voted against it two different times and it was still overturned.  All a moot point now with the Supreme Court's recent ruling but still...you're right FXRich...what ever happened to "Government of the people, by the people, for the people"?

It really doesn't matter which side someone is on, the way the law should be the way it is voted on. I know it isn't going to happen but I would like to see the people rise up, go to Washington DC and start decorating the trees with politicians, don't matter which party they belong to. personally I'm a independent I vote for the person not the party. Lately its been the lesser of two evils. 

In a free country ones civil rights cannot be determined by a popular vote. That is why interracial marriage was illegal in 8 states until 1967 when the Supreme Court stepped in. I applaud them for the bravery in their decision in both cases. The government is for the people and by the people but the constitution is there to protect the civil rights of applicable races and groups that if left up to the majority in many states would have those rights denied if left up to popular vote.

Immigration is a separate issue entirely.

Edited by bcartervol98

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Christopher said:

It would be nice to see the country focus on congress as closely as it does the presidential election. Then we might actually see change. 

That's the truth! It seems people keep reelecting the same Bozo's year after year and expecting different results....Term limits are what we need.

However, the ones who can bring up a measure to establish term limits are the ones who have been in Congress forever. :wallbash:

6 hours ago, Edna said:

That's the truth! It seems people keep reelecting the same Bozo's year after year and expecting different results....Term limits are what we need.

However, the ones who can bring up a measure to establish term limits are the ones who have been in Congress forever. :wallbash:

Yes...definitely term limits.  Unfortunately most member of Congress are attorneys by trade.  They will make sure term limits never become a reality.

546 idiots (435 members of the House of Reps, 100 members of the Senate, 9 Supreme Court Justices, one VPOTUS and one POTUS) representing and running a country with approximately 320 million people.  Something definitely askew there.  Unfortunately the sheeple keep re-electing the ineffective politicians.

What scares Congress the most is the thought of a Constitutional Convention, hasn't been one since 1787, for people that don't know what one is, if 2/3 of the states request it, the states send representatives to a convention, and if they want the constitution changed it requires 3/4 of the states to ratify it. Don't know if it would be a good thing or a bad thing, but at this point it doesn't make much difference. The two main reasons some states have called for a convention so far is term limits, and a balanced budget amendment. Right now I believe it only needs a couple more states to get the thing rolling. The nice thing about a Constitutional Convention is Congress, or the POTUS has nothing to do with it. The process is explained in Article V of the Constitution.

2 hours ago, FXRich said:

What scares Congress the most is the thought of a Constitutional Convention, hasn't been one since 1787, for people that don't know what one is, if 2/3 of the states request it, the states send representatives to a convention, and if they want the constitution changed it requires 3/4 of the states to ratify it. Don't know if it would be a good thing or a bad thing, but at this point it doesn't make much difference. The two main reasons some states have called for a convention so far is term limits, and a balanced budget amendment. Right now I believe it only needs a couple more states to get the thing rolling. The nice thing about a Constitutional Convention is Congress, or the POTUS has nothing to do with it. The process is explained in Article V of the Constitution.

The beauty of a Constitutional Convention is it's done without the POTUS or Congress the bad thing is it would be done with lawyers. The Founding Fathers used only 6178 words in the Constitution and Bill of Rights to build a country. Obamacare written by today's lawyers used 11.5 million words for healthcare regs....

No, I don't think it would be a good thing. I believe that while they may think that they're only going to deal with term limits or the budget someone (lawyer) would sneek something that nobody reads slipped into an section and in the end that will strip away our rights we hold dear (ie second amendment or freedom of speech) Look at the Patriot Act ... NSA, TSA and all the alphabet soup agencies we're stuck with eroding our freedoms...Spying on innocent citizens...No I'm not sure it'll help. Getting the right people out and the right people into Congress is the best way.... if only the sheeple would get their heads out of their @$$.....

41 minutes ago, Edna said:

No, I don't think it would be a good thing. I believe that while they may think that they're only going to deal with term limits or the budget someone (lawyer) would sneek something that nobody reads slipped into an section and in the end that will strip away our rights we hold dear (ie second amendment or freedom of speech) Look at the Patriot Act ... NSA, TSA and all the alphabet soup agencies we're stuck with eroding our freedoms...Spying on innocent citizens...No I'm not sure it'll help. Getting the right people out and the right people into Congress is the best way.... if only the sheeple would get their heads out of their @$$.....

The beauty of a Constitutional convention is 3/4 of the states have to ratify it, I can't see even 1/2 of the states ratifying any repeal of any of the bill of rights. For all we know they could limit the size of anything Congress passes to a few pages which would be good. The founding fathers put Article V in the constitution, because they feared that someday the federal government may overstep its constitutional limitations. I believe that day might be here.

Just my opinion.

25 minutes ago, FXRich said:

The beauty of a Constitutional convention is 3/4 of the states have to ratify it, I can't see even 1/2 of the states ratifying any repeal of any of the bill of rights. For all we know they could limit the size of anything Congress passes to a few pages which would be good. The founding fathers put Article V in the constitution, because they feared that someday the federal government may overstep its constitutional limitations. I believe that day might be here.

Just my opinion.

Agreed, it's near impossible to get states to agree on anything,  The time may be near... government is way out of line and guilty of overreach in many areas. It's a nightmare, I  just worry who would be the State representatives and what criteria would be set in their choosing. The Founders were brilliant in including this protection for the people but a bit remiss in the lack of clarification.

I'm so sick of Congress failing in their oath to uphold the Constitution and don't even get me going on the executive branch ....

Government is failing but I refuse to give up and keep voting though sometimes it feels like a waste of time. I haven't missed a vote (local or national) since I cast my first vote for Ronald Reagan's first win and I'm not about to stop now.

When they first made Oregon a vote by mail State, I thought it was a good thing, but now wish they would not have done it. Ballots get mailed to the voters, filled out and mailed back. I feel there is too much open to fraud, people move, or die, who fills out the ballot then? I didn't mind driving to the polling place, showing my ID and voting, back then we had to show ID. Sometimes I wonder if my vote even counts. I think the biggest problem here is when you get a drivers license you are automatically registered to vote and a ballot is mailed to you. I want things to go back the way it was.

4 minutes ago, FXRich said:

When they first made Oregon a vote by mail State, I thought it was a good thing, but now wish they would not have done it. Ballots get mailed to the voters, filled out and mailed back. I feel there is too much open to fraud, people move, or die, who fills out the ballot then? I didn't mind driving to the polling place, showing my ID and voting, back then we had to show ID. Sometimes I wonder if my vote even counts. I think the biggest problem here is when you get a drivers license you are automatically registered to vote and a ballot is mailed to you. I want things to go back the way it was.

I have never thought that voting by mail was a good thing with the exception of our Servicemen deployed overseas. I'm not too fond of the computerized voting either. I will fight voting by email with every ounce of my strength and my big mouth if I have to walk to DC. (George Soros is pushing that one)   and scream at every mothers son who is for it.

My feeling is if you're too damn lazy to get your rear end to the polling place then you have no business voting. Nowadays there's early voting where you have a couple of weeks to vote. I'm all for making sure that the only people who vote are US citizens. I have a real issue with those who say asking for an ID is too much of a strain for some people when you can get a State ID card for just about nothing. In Texas you can't even get a library card without a valid ID. Texas has free transportation for people to go to get ID's too. If citizens really want to exercise their Constitutional right to vote then it's their responsibility to follow through. 

End Rant....

Oh, I forgot to say that I think those who are mentally fit but infirmed and/or institutionalized should be allowed to vote by mail.

I think it was Huey Long that said vote early, and vote often.

I was wrong once again

The cynical phrases "Vote early -- and often" and "Vote early -- and vote often" are variously attributed to three different Chicagoans: Al Capone, the famous gangster; Richard J. Daley, mayor from 1955 to 1976; and William Hale Thompson, mayor from 1915-1923 and 1931-1935. All three were notorious for their corruption and their manipulation of the democratic process. It is most likely that Thompson invented the phrase, and Capone and Daley later repeated it.