My Temperature Control Experience

Rixter

Just wanted to drop a few lines about my thoughts on temperature control and nickel wire as of late.

I've been using a Heatvape Invader Mini 50W with an eGo ONE 1.8ml tank (rebuilt .15Ω Ni200 coil/JOC wick) as my ADV for about 6 weeks now, and it's been a great setup for me. This is the best vape I've had to date because now, every time I hit the fire button, I get a consistent, satisfying vape. I've not had a single dry hit (even when accidentally running my tank bone-dry a few times), and I've also not noticed any "coloring" of my juices' flavor from the nickel coils (tastes like chicken...er, Kanthal). In addition, the sheer number of coil-wraps required to meet my mod's minimum TC load using such a low-resistance wire makes for a coil with a lot of surface area from which to provide vapor.

Nickel coil resistances can be a little dodgy from build to build, but that's easily compensated for by increases/decreases in the power and temperature settings of the TC mod. I can pretty much adjust the mod's settings to make each new build perform like the last build, so nickel's (apparent) inconsistency is not really that much of an issue.

For rebuilding my eGo ONE's coil head, I make 12 wraps of 28g Ni200 around a 3mm Kuro coiler, and then tug a little on the leads to get a slight space between the wraps. That usually puts me in the vicinity of .15Ω, which is comfortably above the .1Ω minimum TC resistance of my mod.

Vaping with temperature control technology has been pleasurable for me at least, and as more and more reasonably-priced and reliable devices pop up on the scene, I feel like it might just change the way vapers enjoy vapor...

...but that's just my opinion...what's yours? :question:

How does it do with dark, sweet juices? Does that gunk up the nickle coil just as fast as Kanthal?

I haven't seen any crud on my nickel coils so far. My preferred juices aren't very dark in color, but some are pretty sweet (like Clockwerk's Custard and Monkey Spunk).

It probably has a lot to do with keeping the coil temp in check and not letting it get as hot as vaping without TC allows. The juice just doesn't appear to "bake" onto the coil as much.

Edited by Rixter

I haven't seen any crud on my nickel coils so far. My preferred juices aren't very dark in color, but some are pretty sweet (like Clockwerk's Custard and Monkey Spunk).

It probably has a lot to do with keeping the coil temp in check and not letting it get as hot as vaping without TC allows. The juice just doesn't appear to "bake" onto the coil as much.

My juices are mostly sweet also and my nickel gets black gunk after about 2 hrs of vaping I dont understand why

I've had great success with TC.

BUT......I think the coils are harder to fine tune (including wicking) than kanthal.  Best for me is a spaced coil as even as possible and a nice fluffy wick with medium tightness through the coil. Once you have that down the performance and flavor are exceptional. 

I believe deposits and gunk show up more when the coil is not consistent - hot spots.  Most of my juices are not dark but have varying levels of sweetness.  Generally, I have seen almost no build up on the coil even after a week of solid vaping. And the wick is practically pristine and easily slides out of the coil after a week.   My darkest sweetest juice after a week shows some discoloration in the wick ( but no sticky funky buildup) and only a minimal film on the coil itself which pretty easily wipes off and cleans up.

on a coil that is not made even I have noticed that I have more build up or darkish spots on the coil. But since I've learned a lot and know what to do, I don't have this to any large extent.  I also believe it was my early wicking woes and coil building that was contributing to my weird flavor issues early on.  

I am so happy I'm not even building kanthal coils anymore. I get a consistent clean vape, plenty of vapor and flavor and very little trouble - no dry hits, good battery life. 

Im sure kanthal has its place in cloud chasing, low ohm/high-power builds, but that's not what I'm going for.  

One other side benefit for me is that I've found even 6mg is a bit harsh nic for me and I'm quite happy with 3mg and I feel like I'm getting enough.   Overall, I am very happy with TC.

I vape dark sweet juices. Add to that I sort of chain vape (3-4 second hits x 3-4 different times before I put my mod down to rest for 10 min or so). I am very hard on my coils and I demand even more from my mod. I don't push the limits of my batteries nor do I go super sub ohm. I try to keep my nickel builds at least .13 or above. That all being said my single strand coils would always get gunked up as well as my cotton get dark. Now my experimenting with twisted kanthal and ni200 has proven a slightly different experience. Perhaps because the coils are more sturdy and consistent I do find that my coils are not getting gunked up as is the case with my single strand ni200 builds. The coils do get darker and perhaps that is because of using both kanthal and ni200. I really don't know. I know many of you may dry burn (at very low temps)  your ni200 coils, but I have  not tried that yet so maybe that has something to do with everything. Again I don't know.

All in all I am extremely pleased of late with temp control and the consistent vape I have been getting. I have not touched kanthal in about a week and a half and don't really miss it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just cant get the same hit from my temp controlled coils that I can from Kanthal.  With kanthal dual coils, .3ohm 26g at 70 watts was a nice dense warm tasty vape.  With my Temp control building dual coils, .1 28g at 450F and 50 Joules I get decentish vapor, flavor is ok the first hit, but then its just bland and falls flat.  Just seems like its missing something.  Not satisfying at all.  Just built a .35 ohm 26G dual setup with Kanthal and at 50 watts it is so much better.  I really want to use temp control, but it just isnt working out for me just yet.

hers a shot of my latest tc coil...

20150715_123140_zpsggik00qi.jpg

I just cant get the same hit from my temp controlled coils that I can from Kanthal.  With kanthal dual coils, .3ohm 26g at 70 watts was a nice dense warm tasty vape.  With my Temp control building dual coils, .1 28g at 450F and 50 Joules I get decentish vapor, flavor is ok the first hit, but then its just bland and falls flat.  Just seems like its missing something.  Not satisfying at all.  Just built a .35 ohm 26G dual setup with Kanthal and at 50 watts it is so much better.  I really want to use temp control, but it just isnt working out for me just yet.

I am having the same trouble with the RDA's.  Temp is working great with my tanks, they are all single coil running at 420 degrees and from 20 - 40 watts.  I have only built one RDA yet.  It is my Velocity, so I am using a new RDA, with temp control, which is new experience.  I have it running at .9 ohms and it is not even warm at 40 watts and 500 degrees.  I finally closed off most of the air and it is better, good cloud and good flavor, but no heat at all.  This thing has a drip tip you can fit your fist into so I may have to put the adapter and a standard drip tip on it.  I just have not had a lot of time to work with it.

I posted a pic in the Coil thread.

I am having the same trouble with the RDA's.  Temp is working great with my tanks, they are all single coil running at 420 degrees and from 20 - 40 watts.  I have only built one RDA yet.  It is my Velocity, so I am using a new RDA, with temp control, which is new experience.  I have it running at .9 ohms and it is not even warm at 40 watts and 500 degrees.  I finally closed off most of the air and it is better, good cloud and good flavor, but no heat at all.  This thing has a drip tip you can fit your fist into so I may have to put the adapter and a standard drip tip on it.  I just have not had a lot of time to work with it.

I posted a pic in the Coil thread.

I have the same issue with Velocity RDAs running Ni200 - very cool vape and I do not like it so much. But great on Kanthal and Ti01 wires.

I usually use an rda between .2 and .4 at about 60 to 70 watts with 24 g kanthol.. ive ben playing around with temp control recently and so far twisting 30 and 30 together has been pretty good for me.. I build a single coil with about 8 wraps on my mutation v2 and the vape has definitely been decent enough to keep me using it. The ohm's come out to about .17 and the airflow seems perfect! Its surprising to me cause I haven't used a single coil in a long long time but I figured being somewhat new to tc I should master a single coil before trying a dual coil.. Im far from a master at it but my advice for anyone trying tc on a rda try twisting some kanthol with the nickle and don't use to big of a drip tip..like I said the mutation v2 seems perfect so far.. ill get some pics up eventually.. good luck and don't give up yet! ; )

I usually use an rda between .2 and .4 at about 60 to 70 watts with 24 g kanthol.. ive ben playing around with temp control recently and so far twisting 30 and 30 together has been pretty good for me.. I build a single coil with about 8 wraps on my mutation v2 and the vape has definitely been decent enough to keep me using it. The ohm's come out to about .17 and the airflow seems perfect! Its surprising to me cause I haven't used a single coil in a long long time but I figured being somewhat new to tc I should master a single coil before trying a dual coil.. Im far from a master at it but my advice for anyone trying tc on a rda try twisting some kanthol with the nickle and don't use to big of a drip tip..like I said the mutation v2 seems perfect so far.. ill get some pics up eventually.. good luck and don't give up yet! ; ) Guess I should add im useing the joytech vt at 420 degrees and 60 watts..

Has anyone tried wrapping a tight NI coil

I have not yet only because I do not dry fire my coils and in my experience with kanthal no matter how tight and perfect I make a coil it always has some type of hot spot that I have to work out by dry firing. I'm sure others have tried though.