Ohms and Voltage

Andy2498

So I'm getting an asmodus snow wolf 200w temp control and was wondering if a tesla vortek with a .5 ohm coil head would need a certain voltage to get a nice flavorful vape? 

I'm still new to this game lol

Welcome to VT, Andy!

First of all... let me dispel myth... you don't need a 0.00001 Ohm coil, powered by a nuclear reactor to get a "flavorful vape"...   I also seriously doubt you'd be able to push the 0.5 ohm build on that Tesla beyond 50W without beginning to cook most juices.... upwards of 120W, and you're making charcoal, IMO.

Flavor is about finding the Wattage and coil resistance (Ohms) that best match the juice.... too little power (Wattage) and you get a weak, cool vape... too much, and you get a hot, burnt flavor.  For my 0.5 Ohm builds, I run them at 30-45W, depending on the juice, and one of my juices tastes like burnt socks if I push it above 25W, even at 0.5 Ohms!! 

Bottom line, what works for me and my juices may not work for yours, so you'll have to play with it... start low (like 20W), and vape... bump up the Wattage a half Watt or whole Watt at a time, vape, repeat... once you get a SLIGHTLY burnt flavor... back off a Watt or two.. that is the sweet-spot for THAT juice and coil combo.

Also... if you are going to run a box-mod of that power, and sub-ohm... and you're admittedly new to vaping... do yourself and all of us a favor... USE THE BEST BATTERY YOU CAN BUY (Purple Efest, Samsung 25r, LG HE2, or Sony VTC4), and buy yourself a coil meter (for checking the resistance of your coil builds, even if they are pre-built)!  SAFETY FIRST!  We want you to enjoy vaping, not be a statistic for the media to exploit when you blow something up (like yourself)...

Welcome to VT, Andy!

First of all... let me dispel myth... you don't need a 0.00001 Ohm coil, powered by a nuclear reactor to get a "flavorful vape"...   I also seriously doubt you'd be able to push the 0.5 ohm build on that Tesla beyond 50W without beginning to cook most juices.... upwards of 120W, and you're making charcoal, IMO.

Flavor is about finding the Wattage and coil resistance (Ohms) that best match the juice.... too little power (Wattage) and you get a weak, cool vape... too much, and you get a hot, burnt flavor.  For my 0.5 Ohm builds, I run them at 30-45W, depending on the juice, and one of my juices tastes like burnt socks if I push it above 25W, even at 0.5 Ohms!! 

Bottom line, what works for me and my juices may not work for yours, so you'll have to play with it... start low (like 20W), and vape... bump up the Wattage a half Watt or whole Watt at a time, vape, repeat... once you get a SLIGHTLY burnt flavor... back off a Watt or two.. that is the sweet-spot for THAT juice and coil combo.

Also... if you are going to run a box-mod of that power, and sub-ohm... and you're admittedly new to vaping... do yourself and all of us a favor... USE THE BEST BATTERY YOU CAN BUY (Purple Efest, Samsung 25r, LG HE2, or Sony VTC4), and buy yourself a coil meter (for checking the resistance of your coil builds, even if they are pre-built)!  SAFETY FIRST!  We want you to enjoy vaping, not be a statistic for the media to exploit when you blow something up (like yourself)...

Thanks man, I appreciate the help. I did purchase a Sony 18650 (heard these were one of the best). And I'm gonna purchase a coil meter too pretty soon. I just didn't wanna push any boundaries and hurt myself. The tesla was just something I was using on a old box mod and I was wondering if I should buy something along the lines of an rba for the snow wolf. Frankly I understand rba's better than pre built stuff. Anyways thanks for the info it was well needed.

Glad I could help :)

Sony is a good battery, but there are a lot of fakes and re-wraps out there... so be cautious of where you buy from (avoid eBay).  There are several threads on here that will document how to spot fake Sony VTC, so you may want to look at those?

As for RBA... drippers (RDA) or rebuildable tanks (RTA)... I would avoid those until you get a feel for your vaping... and a good handle on Ohm's Law.  Building can be fun, but it can also be expensive (to start out) as well as dangerous for someone that has not done their research or homework.

Feel free to ask questions around here... a lot of good folks on this forum that are happy to help out, give advice, encouragement, etc.

Are you vaping for the hobby, or to quit smoking?

Glad I could help :)

Sony is a good battery, but there are a lot of fakes and re-wraps out there... so be cautious of where you buy from (avoid eBay).  There are several threads on here that will document how to spot fake Sony VTC, so you may want to look at those?

As for RBA... drippers (RDA) or rebuildable tanks (RTA)... I would avoid those until you get a feel for your vaping... and a good handle on Ohm's Law.  Building can be fun, but it can also be expensive (to start out) as well as dangerous for someone that has not done their research or homework.

Feel free to ask questions around here... a lot of good folks on this forum that are happy to help out, give advice, encouragement, etc.

Are you vaping for the hobby, or to quit smoking?

Could you show me a thread on spotting fake sonys? 

And I've been doing some research on ohms law but it's been hard and some info on the web is very mixed and confusing, any help there? 

And im vaping for both. Use to be big time smoker until a friend of mine introduced me to vaping and I was grabbed by the big clouds and of course the nicotine.

Congrats on kicking the analogs (or at least making the effort if you haven't completely quit yet)...  Getting the proper rig, flavors, and nicotine levels are the key, and I must say (and others will agree), vaping is the most effective way I've found to quit analogs for good!

Ohm's Law is fairly easy... really... lower Resistance draws more Amps, requires higher Voltages, and more Power (Wattage).  Low Ohms are quick to heat, get really hot, and quick to cool... higher Oms heat slower, are cooler overall, and are slow to cool down.  Here's a good website to show the ratio and relationship of Resistance (Ohms) and how they relate to Voltage and Power (Wattage).

Here is a link to a well written piece by one of our members, Compenstine... to outline spotting fake Sony batteries.

You won't go wrong listening to Earthling's advice. We stress safety here, as well as taking it slow with people who are new to vaping. Don't try to fly a lear jet when you're still working on the riding a bicycle first. There are plenty of ways to get lots of vapor with tanks and pre-built coils without going the RDA or RTA route. If you want super massive clouds that obliterate light, then that's when you go with the RDA. Otherwise, a good tank, a good battery, and the right juice should get you plenty of vapor. I can fog up a room pretty easily with a Kanger Pro Tank 2, 1.8 ohm coil, an Eleaf iStick 50W, and some 40 PG/60 VG juice at 3 mg nic.  :)

Congrats on kicking the analogs (or at least making the effort if you haven't completely quit yet)...  Getting the proper rig, flavors, and nicotine levels are the key, and I must say (and others will agree), vaping is the most effective way I've found to quit analogs for good!

Ohm's Law is fairly easy... really... lower Resistance draws more Amps, requires higher Voltages, and more Power (Wattage).  Low Ohms are quick to heat, get really hot, and quick to cool... higher Oms heat slower, are cooler overall, and are slow to cool down.  Here's a good website to show the ratio and relationship of Resistance (Ohms) and how they relate to Voltage and Power (Wattage).

Here is a link to a well written piece by one of our members, Compenstine... to outline spotting fake Sony batteries.

Thanks, everyone around me has been pleased with not having to be around my cigarette smell anymore. Pretty proud :) 

and thanks for the websites. Someone like me needs something like that, I'm very slow. 

I appreciate all the help. And the kindness! 

You won't go wrong listening to Earthling's advice. We stress safety here, as well as taking it slow with people who are new to vaping. Don't try to fly a lear jet when you're still working on the riding a bicycle first. There are plenty of ways to get lots of vapor with tanks and pre-built coils without going the RDA or RTA route. If you want super massive clouds that obliterate light, then that's when you go with the RDA. Otherwise, a good tank, a good battery, and the right juice should get you plenty of vapor. I can fog up a room pretty easily with a Kanger Pro Tank 2, 1.8 ohm coil, an Eleaf iStick 50W, and some 40 PG/60 VG juice at 3 mg nic.  :)

Tam makes a great point...  a good, simple tank, paired-up with the right juice and a functional battery can provide all the vapor/flavor you need to satisfy.  I have to crack the window on my car (like I did when I smoked) so I can see to drive... and that's using a Kanger AeroTank, 1.5 Ohm coil, 50/50 ratio 10mg juice and powering it with a Cloupor Mini @ only 11W :)

Just another tip.  That is a Temp control mod, and the tank has a Temp control coil.  Always make sure that you have the mod in the correct mode with the correct coil.  If you are in Temp control, it won't hurt the normal coil, but if you have the Temp control coil in it in wattage mode, it will fry it very quickly.

Please also be careful with this preorder.  I am waiting on a mod from them that I preordered on 1/1/15.  I have only got one email from them since then.

I don't want to discourage you at all, but I personally would go with a  iStick 50 watt or an ipv mini V2 with a SubTank Mini.  It is a simple setup that is very versatile.  You can use the 1.2/1.5 ohm coil and when you want to step it up a bit you can use the .5 ohm coil.  Once you learn more, get an ohm meter and some tools, you can start building on the RBA deck.

Just another tip.  That is a Temp control mod, and the tank has a Temp control coil.  Always make sure that you have the mod in the correct mode with the correct coil.  If you are in Temp control, it won't hurt the normal coil, but if you have the Temp control coil in it in wattage mode, it will fry it very quickly.

Please also be careful with this preorder.  I am waiting on a mod from them that I preordered on 1/1/15.  I have only got one email from them since then.

I don't want to discourage you at all, but I personally would go with a  iStick 50 watt or an ipv mini V2 with a SubTank Mini.  It is a simple setup that is very versatile.  You can use the 1.2/1.5 ohm coil and when you want to step it up a bit you can use the .5 ohm coil.  Once you learn more, get an ohm meter and some tools, you can start building on the RBA deck.

Really that's weird. I've been tracking my snow wolf and it's already been processed and shipped. When I went to their website it said it was in stock. They might be a sketchy company..? 

And no you aren't discouraging me at all, I understand the risks. I started out on an istick 30w with an Atlantis (which recently broke cause I'm clumsy). Which is why I bought the tesla. 

And I'm gonna buy all the necessary tools but money's tight :( 

No.  I don't think they are sketchy, but I thought it was a preorder.  I am not really happy at how they have handled the preorder I am involved in.  I have bought other things from them and had no problem whatsoever.  They gave me a chance to cancel in March, and I chose not to cancel it.  I think if they gave me the chance, I would cancel it this time, or take the credit and put it toward something else.

No.  I don't think they are sketchy, but I thought it was a preorder.  I am not really happy at how they have handled the preorder I am involved in.  I have bought other things from them and had no problem whatsoever.  They gave me a chance to cancel in March, and I chose not to cancel it.  I think if they gave me the chance, I would cancel it this time, or take the credit and put it toward something else.

I'd take the credit in my opinion. But I hope all goes well with your pre-order!

Jason, that AsMODus still hasn't shipped?  Is it being hand-forged by Dwarves from Middle-Earth?? :D

Andy, as you can see, the choices are endless... but the key is to find what works best for you!  Jason brought up an excellent tank in the Kanger SubTank Mini... very versatile for the beginner or advanced user.  It has multiple coil-heads available (different Ohms), and comes with a rebuildable deck, for when you're ready to build your own coils (or you don't have to use it at all)...  I do love my IPV mini V2... top-shelf function, 70W power, excellent battery-life, but I only wish their painting process was better as the finish wears off way too quickly :(

Jason, that AsMODus still hasn't shipped?  Is it being hand-forged by Dwarves from Middle-Earth?? :D

Andy, as you can see, the choices are endless... but the key is to find what works best for you!  Jason brought up an excellent tank in the Kanger SubTank Mini... very versatile for the beginner or advanced user.  It has multiple coil-heads available (different Ohms), and comes with a rebuildable deck, for when you're ready to build your own coils (or you don't have to use it at all)...  I do love my IPV mini V2... top-shelf function, 70W power, excellent battery-life, but I only wish their painting process was better as the finish wears off way too quickly :(

I actually really want the kanger mini. I was going to purchase one because fasttech had some issue with my tesla (customer service was no help). It really stands out to me. Probably might sell my tesla and invest in the kanger. 

Also nice middle earth reference lol

​I am guessing you are correct.  I have not heard anything.  The web page says shipping in May.  They better hurry, or possibly they mean 2016. I wrote them an email.  I doubt I will get a reply.  If I do, I will try to get them to give me credit on another mod.  I really want another Temp Control mod.  I am kinda waiting on the new ipv mini.

Yeah, I'm waiting on the new IPV D2 as well... Temp control... yeah, will be nice, but I just love the look of it :)

I hope they square you away on that mod soon... pretty crappy of them to hold the pre-order and keep pushing the release date back farther and farther...  That black and brass one sure look nice, but if you can only see the pictures, it kinds sucks!  It also sucks that it was top-of-the-line tech back in January, and now it's just kinda "common" for the chip-set and power offering.  Still though, it is an awesome looking mod, and I hope they get it to you soon, or at least refund/credit you (plus interest) for waiting 6 months for nothing :(

It's all good.  It isn't the first $80 that I have lost in this hobby and defiantly will not be the last...lol  It is kinda sad though, it will go straight to the shelf with the MVP, Cloupor Mini, IPV3 and mechanicals.  It may go into my disassembled to reassemble later drawer, with my ipv mini 2, cloupor mini, and istick 20 watt...lol  I carry the Vapor Shark and Sigelei mini as backups, and am currently using the Zero as my daily driver...  I guess I need to pay some of this forward, but I really am attached to all of them....lol

​I don't know why but the link Earthing posted went to my sites home page. If you go to the post in my sub forum here on the board it will take you to the page that has the VTC 4 information. It is strange because it is the same link. :huh: It may be because we are no longer selling them and have sold out or what stock we had.