Let's Talk Temp Control

Bebop

If it's any consolation, my theory with the Ti is "sort of" panning out. I still want to run the same tests with Ni200 though. Basically my theory has to do with the twisting of the wire. For example, the nickel in a 5 inch section of Ni200 after it has been twisted with kanthal should produce a higher ohm reading than a straight 5 inch piece of nickel because the twisted length actually has more than 5 inches due to the twisting. Hopefully that makes sense. If it doesn't then I 'm claiming I'm tired and on my way to being three sheets to the wind. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Well it isn't for me.  I am also tired and my work is a bit sloppy tonight.  I took a 12" peice of 28 gauge Kanthal and a 12" peice of 28ga Ni200.  The Kanthal was 5.37 ohms and the Ni200 was .33 ohms  I tested by making one loop (not touching) in one set of holes in an RDA and then the other.  I then put them both in together (not touching) and the ohms were .33.  I then twisted them together and it stayed at .33.  This can't be correct, because I can build much smaller coils from the twisted.  The only thing I can think of is the kanthal is making better contact with one of my screws causing the resistance to rise.  I guess I should have done it with smaller pieces.

Never mind.  I can't say if it takes less coils or not, because I used 30 ga Ni200 in my twisted wire.  All of my other coils were made from 28 ga.  So the comparison is invalid.

Edited by jasonculp

No worries at all Jason. 

I just experimented with a twisted build in my subtank mini. 30 gauge kanthal twisted with 28 gauge ni200. 8 wraps brought it out to .13 ohms (not bad for first attempt). I have it set upon my vapor flask at 450 degrees and she's doing great at 30 watts and is not hitting temp protection with long 3-4 second pulls. Flavor is pretty good, but still not like kanthal alone. The vapor production is plenty with nice dense clouds. It was very easy to build with a wire gauge stiffness about the same as 26 gauge kanthal but a bit more springy. Sorry no pics.

Interesting....by mistake today I built a new twisted coil by accident. I was going for my normal 30ga kanthal and 28ga ni200 but accidentally used 28ga kanthal and 30ga ni200. With the same 5 wrap 3mm coil it ohm'd out the same at .15, however when I vape it it now hits temp control set at 460 degrees as opposed to not getting close to temp control when the coil is built the other way. It's still a very consistent and enjoyable vape but temp control now kicks in. Gotta change that up tomorrow.

That's a negative on the single coil in the zeph.  I built an awesome kanthal build that is still going strong (love love this tank) and I'll wait until it needs changing then I'll work out a Ni build for it. 

Sometimes when a coil is cookin you just hafta let it be, you know?

Been using  my other mods lately Still love them but I keep going back to my TC mod the non TC mods just cant compare too it

I have done the same thing.  I am really enjoying the TC even for my RDA's.  In fact the TC mods (if powerful enough) are ideal for drippers.  If you start needing juice it backs off of the power.

I have done the same thing.  I am really enjoying the TC even for my RDA's.  In fact the TC mods (if powerful enough) are ideal for drippers.  If you start needing juice it backs off of the

The difference really is amazing I almost feel bad for my other mods I kinda look at them like the red headed step childs of my bottomless bag of vape toys

I made a great kanthal on my Zephyrus yesterday and vaped it for a few hours (only takes a couple hours to drain that bad boy) and found myself missing my Subtank mini with ni200 and TC. I don't think my Zephyrus will get much action anymore, as I'm really loving my TC. I should have my new Subtank mini v2 next week and look forward to trying it out.

Borrowed this pic  His reasons why its angled what do you guys think??

1) legs and first wrap on each end won't touch causing hotspots.

2) shorter legs = more accurate temp reading

I don't see anything wrong with it.  I have made them like that and you do have to watch your wicking to keep it correct.  You need more wick going away from the coil, if that makes sense to keep it from flooding.  Basically when I did it I cut it at a different angle where one side was much longer that the other.  The part directly below the coil was short and it angled to keep it touching the deck all the way across.

Mine look a lot like that one there.  After I screw the sleeve on I have to work the wick back so it doesn't get bunched but it works well and I haven't had any problems with wicking.  Looks good.

Made my first ni200 vertical coil for my subtank mini. 7 spaced wraps with 29ga ni200 on a 3mm coil jig bit came out to .11 ohms. Wicking it was obviously a tad more tricky and I can improve but this is a pretty good build for my first attempt. Happy vaping days ahead. I had really steady hands and a good eye today. Wish all days were like this.

Pics?

If you look back at the pics I posted a couple pages back, if you look closely you'll see my coil is at a bit of an angle like the above post.

@Dragongunner - I'm trying to picture a vertical in the ST mini........

Edited by Bebop

Truth be told when I make horizontal builds in the ST mini they sometimes come out of an angle as well. I just roll with it. 

The vertical was not as bad as I thought. The wicking was more of a pain than the coil install for some reason. I had to take the initial wick out as it was blocking the air hole.

Here is a pic with the wick in. I don't want to remove it because it's working perfectly but you should be able to get the idea. As soon as I change out the wick (which should be tomorrow....vaping a heavy dark vg liquid pretty hot so the cotton is already getting to color a bit). 

20150726_185500.jpg

Edited by DragonGunner
Added a picture.

Hi all. I lied. I found myself bored and decided to rip out the 1.1 ohm coil i just made and start with a new vertical coil (practice makes perfect right), plus I wanted to up the ohms a tad. Again 29ga. This time an eight wrap on a 3mm bit for 1.3 ohms. Here's a couple of pics of the build. Enjoy and attempt at your own frustration....just joking. Have fun with it. It's not that hard.

Note: Sorry for the order of the pics. I tried editing to get it right and then it gave me a double pic post and I almost screwed it up even more. The system is wonky.

20150726_204842.thumb.jpg.83356096af03a2

20150726_204808.jpg

20150726_204842.jpg

20150726_210112.jpg

20150726_205841.jpg

Edited by DragonGunner

Truth be told when I make horizontal builds in the ST mini they sometimes come out of an angle as well. I just roll with it. 

The vertical was not as bad as I thought. The wicking was more of a pain than the coil install for some reason. I had to take the initial wick out as it was blocking the air hole.

Here is a pic with the wick in. I don't want to remove it because it's working perfectly but you should be able to get the idea. As soon as I change out the wick (which should be tomorrow....vaping a heavy dark vg liquid pretty hot so the cotton is already getting to color a bit). 

20150726_185500.jpg

Sorry pic disappeared.

20150726_185500.jpg

Hi all. I lied. I found myself bored and decided to rip out the 1.1 ohm coil i just made and start with a new vertical coil (practice makes perfect right), plus I wanted to up the ohms a tad. Again 29ga. This time an eight wrap on a 3mm bit for 1.3 ohms. Here's a couple of pics of the build. Enjoy and attempt at your own frustration....just joking. Have fun with it. It's not that hard.

Note: Sorry for the order of the pics. I tried editing to get it right and then it gave me a double pic post and I almost screwed it up even more. The system is wonky.

I really like the way that looks!

3 attempts ended in failure for me.  I also found a major issue with my Sausecode's RBA.  The threads to the center post are stripped.  I guess I am going to have to get some Herkales Ni200 coils for it.  I can't even make a horizontal coil today!  I don't know what my problem is today.

I really like the way that looks!

3 attempts ended in failure for me.  I also found a major issue with my Sausecode's RBA.  The threads to the center post are stripped.  I guess I am going to have to get some Herkales Ni200 coils for it.  I can't even make a horizontal coil today!  I don't know what my problem is today.

Don't worry brother. Just put it down for the day. That's why we have prepared built coils. I have many days like that myself. I just got lucky and had a good one myself. Next time I'm sure I won't be so lucky. 

Oh and I misquoted on my new coil. Its .13ohms not 1.3 ohms. Sorry.  

Ni200 vertical coil in a subtank mini verdict after 2 days and 4 tanks gone and a wick change compared to the same ohm horizontal coil............ HOMERUN! Very little to no spit back like a horizontal coil. Flavor imo 50% better and the vapor production is out of this world. Gonna stick with the vertical coil for a while.

Edited by DragonGunner

Ni200 vertical coil in a subtank mini verdict after 2 days and 4 tanks gone and a wick change compared to the same ohm horizontal coil............ HOMERUN! Very little to no spit back like a horizontal coil. Flavor imo 50% better and the vapor production is out of this world. Gonna stick with the vertical coil for a while.

No gurgling or leaking with that configuration?

No gurgling or leaking with that configuration?

Nope none at all. Well there was a little at first because I over saturated my wick during the setup, but after the first couple of puffs nothing at all. Definitely no leaking what so ever. :)