Let's Talk Temp Control

Bebop

Okay.  We're getting closer.  She likes the bell cap for the STmini.  I found some bell caps for the Kayfun that are colored and she loves those.  I'm now trying to find a colored bell cap for the STmini.  Has anyone seen those?  Sorry, I'm going a little off topic here.......

I have seen them here at FastTech I am not sure about the quality or that you will get them in a reasonable amount of time.

I will keep my eyes open.

Ok my first NI sUBTANK MINI RBA? BUILD with cotton bacon.5 wraps 0.13ohms 20w 460 TC  seems to be a bit of flavor loss but the cloud has tripled from the stock NI coil. Wife pissed she dont think my idea of covering her in a big cloud  is as funny as I see it lol

Ok my first NI sUBTANK MINI RBA? BUILD with cotton bacon.5 wraps 0.13ohms 20w 460 TC  seems to be a bit of flavor loss but the cloud has tripled from the stock NI coil. Wife pissed she dont think my idea of covering her in a big cloud  is as funny as I see it lol

It seems to take me a few hours for  a build to break in.  I am on my second tank with my new T-VTC and it is getting better and better!  450 degrees and 45 watts .11 ohms.  It is a little slow on the wicking, but I will fix than on the next tank.

Might be just me cause Im half whacked  but so far so good on my first build lol 5-6 wraps cant remember  half assed stuff with Cotton BACON  Not really sure what I did or HOw I did it but i got good clouds bit less flavor price to pay for building first coil  hammered lol

I find I make coils much better when hammered!  Of course the next morning I rewick and say WTF?

HAHA I do most things better Hammered I been on this half assed home made for a few hrs now  And I gotta say thanks you guys got me hooked on building them. Ang I gotta give props to Earthling he told me when I started this Id be building my own coils. Why did I ever doubt him :(:D All his predictions about my vapin path have all come true lol

Can you guys give me insight as to way I would loose flavor with my build Im chuckin clouds like a MOFO and the flavors there just not like it was with the standard coil... Im not complaining and I will continue my building/learning process :):)

I would say hot spots or inconsistency in your coil wraps?  Is your resistance jumping around?  Could also be airflow.  Where do you run your airflow?  

I would say hot spots or inconsistency in your coil wraps?  Is your resistance jumping around?  Could also be airflow.  Where do you run your airflow?  

Resistance seems fine airflow is wide open

The temp limit only limits the temp that the coil reaches (if it's working correctly). It does nothing with power (wattage).  In other words, if you set your wattage at 50 watts, that coil is goingto get 50 watts of power no matter what temp you have set until the coil reaches that temp.  Then the board goes to work dropping your power to try and maintain the temperature.   

I have found the ideal for flavor and clouds is to set the power and balance the temperature setting so the mod is not continually fighting itself. You may have the power set too high (for THAT juice and THAT coil and that WICK) where the coil rockets up to temp then bbounces up and down off the temp setting trying to limit it.  I find its kind of self defeating to have that balance too opposing. 

IMO, for what I like, I like a lower power setting (between 18 - 24watts depending on juice) and a 460 limit. With good airflow that coil gets up to temp and rarely bumps up against the limit and only bumps against as the wick goes dryer as it's vaprizing the juice which happens more on long hits or chain vaping. 

If your wicking speed cant keep up with your power setting then you'll be constantly fighting dry wicks, hot spots, and temp control.  This is an even bigger issue with RDAs with high power, multi coil set ups I'm sure. 

These are just my first ideas on the issues with temp control.  It is the wild frontier right now.

Just looked at the coil two wraps looked real close together and they had gunk built up on them the other wraps looked fine could that be my issue?

Edited by cany

Honestly, Ni200 is finicky.  It appears to move around with the heat cycle. I believe my wraps tighten up a little after use. 

Im hoping Titanium is more stable. That's just a hope at this point. No one's chimed in that's using Ti so I don't know if it would be any better to work with. For now I'm going to use up my Ni and we'll see how it goes.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't push .10 ohms. I'd shoot for another wrap or 2 and try to keep it up around .15.

Honestly, Ni200 is finicky.  It appears to move around with the heat cycle. I believe my wraps tighten up a little after use. 

Im hoping Titanium is more stable. That's just a hope at this point. No one's chimed in that's using Ti so I don't know if it would be any better to work with. For now I'm going to use up my Ni and we'll see how it goes.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't push .10 ohms. I'd shoot for another wrap or 2 and try to keep it up around .15.

I was wondering if the NI  moved myself. Im gonna try a few more wraps on my next one

Edited by cany

Gotta love it when you finally get a great build. My latest that twisted kanthal/ni200 is still kicking strong after 4-5 days and 2 wick changes. The ohm's are still  solid at .13 without any fluctuation like previous builds. I've got it set at 25 watts and 460 degrees and she's not even getting close to temp protection. Flavor and vapor are outstanding. Dreading the day I have to redo this coil.

Edited by DragonGunner

Have you tried twisted kanthal and ni200? I suggest try it if you haven't. 28ga kanthal and 30ga ni200.

Have you tried twisted kanthal and ni200? I suggest try it if you haven't. 28ga kanthal and 30ga ni200.

I tried it and liked it.  Mine was 28/28 though.  I am having a bit of trouble fitting it into the SubTank mini.  I figured out what was so bad with it last time.  It turns out that I have the "Monkey *ss" insulators in one of my RBA's.  I have plans to try it in this T-VCT.  I figured out how to get a fairly large build in it. Now proper wicking is the hard part. I really want to go back to the Lemo 2, but but don't want to loose the airflow.  I have the SauceCode coming, but I really don't think it will be any larger.  I guess I will wait on the Goliath V2.  It has a single coil adaptor...IDK...lol

Well today wasnt a good day It seems the deck for my mini didnt wanna come apart I was determined it wasnt guess who won :(:(

That thing can be a PITA.  I clean mine up good with water, and start by loosening the top, but not removing it. then while they are still together try squeezing as far away from the base as possible to loosen.  The problem with the RBA is it is so thin, that when you put pressure on the outside of it to unscrew it you deform it slightly and it will not come apart.  I have also had fair luck taking the top cap off and griping the ring by the inside and outside as to not add pressure to the threads.  You can't use muscle on them, they are too thin, you have to out smart it.

Edited by jasonculp
It is a RBA not a RDA....lol

Ok I managed to get it back together lol the little barell thingy has a few minor dents in it and its not touching the screws so I might be good to go.. Tonight Im getting me some magnifying glasses so I can see what Im doing

:lol: a few battle scars will give it character.

this last coil I built is performing like a champ. A week on the same wick and about 4 tanks with great vapor and flavor all along.  I only changed the wick to load up a different juice.  I'm really putting it to the test now with my darkest, sweetest juice and its jammin' like Joe Satriani got a new guitar.

my pro tank minis have their place in my arsenal, but holy cow, it's tough to go back on this. :)