Let's Talk Temp Control

Bebop

Cany

i like everything Jason says except I do 10 wraps to net me about .14 ohms.  I don't believe the heatvape will fire a coil below .1 ohms. .05 ohms is scary low and you better make sure your battery can support it. (Probably doesn't if the off the top of my head math is working correctly).  

:o Ive been using my melo tank on it with a .05 coil thats bad :o

I really don't like this new editor since the update!  it won't let you post links with ampersands and delete videos in quotes...lol

Oh,  and I don't like my cotton too tight. A little resistance as its pulled thru the coil, then thin out the ends.

When I first started with the SubTank mini, I was having a lot of trouble with the wicking. I read the (at the time) 300 page SubTank mini thread on "brand X's board".  One thing I noticed is that everyone was talking about Chunky Wicking.  I gave it a try and it has totally changed the use and dependability of my RTAs.  I know it sounds counterintuitive, but it really works.  I was doing the same as most everyone else and just using enough cotton to have a little resistance and was not happy with the unit.  I kept making them tighter and tighter and the vape quality just kept getting better and better.  I was using 80/20 and 90/10 with absolutely no dry hits.  If you get a chance, or have trouble, give it a try!  It has really helped me a lot.

@Jason - Yeah, I don't like the editor either.  That's why I rarely quote.  It has other bugs for me too.

wicking is definitely an art, lol. All my coil building woes trace back to wicking.

@cany - I'm confused now, sorry. I'm lost. I thought you said you wanted to build a .05 ohm Ni200 coil I assumed for TC.? are you saying you bought .05 ohm Ni200 coils for the Melo? 

Yeah, that's a .5 ohm atomizer, not .05

Ni200 builds only work between .1 ohm and 1 ohm, (with the heatvape) however I haven't figured out how to make a Ni build higher than .2 ohm.  It takes to much wire - the coil is too big to fit. Starting out with the sub tank mini, I would target a .15 ohm build on a 3mm spindle with 28g wire. 

Ni200 builds only work between .1 ohm and 1 ohm, (with the heatvape) however I haven't figured out how to make a Ni build higher than .2 ohm.  It takes to much wire - the coil is too big to fit. Starting out with the sub tank mini, I would target a .15 ohm build on a 3mm spindle with 28g wire. 

Ugg .5   .05  now  Im really confused

.1 is not an easy target!  I settled on the 7 wraps of 28 ga on the 3mm to achieve it.  I tried more wraps, but my my leads touched when I tried to secure them under the screws.  I am not great at building with this nickel.  On my mod, I have seen it ohm out at everything from .13 down to .09.  This has definitely been a learning curve!

It is a pretty good video.  I am still building mine like I built it with Tiger Wire (Kanthal).  I make mine flipped up instead of down, and 3mm instead of 2mm.  Of course my wicking is different.

I may build one of these this weekend and see how it works.  I have heard good things about the pancake wicking, but it has not worked great for me with high VG.  I am going back to 50/50 so it may change everything.

Most successful for me, or I should say consistently successful is a 45*angle cut from the base up.  I then fluff out the ends, soak 'me up without mashing them, guide the edges in, then put the sleeve on. Before putting the cap I make sure the wick is fluffy and evenly distributed again without crushing the wick. Screw the cap on. Add a couple drops then screw it on the tank and rock n roll. 

Ive vey had great success with the pancake but also utter failure. Probably dependent on the juice. I like a little bit of wick above the coil. Not on the coil but flared up higher than the coil.

Been experimenting today. I don't know if it's just me or if its the rta's I was experimenting on. The other day I put in (what I thought was a solid build) an 8 wrap twisted 28ga kanthal/30ga ni200 8 on a 3mm mini screwdriver in my Lemo. It came it at .13 ohms. Today I put in (again what I thought to be a solid build) a 5 wrap 28ga kanthal/30 ga ni200 on a 3mm mini screwdriver in my Subtank mini and it came in at .13 ohms. I made sure all coils were as perfectly spaced as much as I could. :wallbash:

Thankfully both tanks performed wonderfully and I have no issues with either, but I am none the less very confused. I would feel more comfortable if my builds were more consistent. Guess I will have to wait to change these coils out and do the exact same thing and see what happens. I'll make sure to report my findings.

Been experimenting today. I don't know if it's just me or if its the rta's I was experimenting on. The other day I put in (what I thought was a solid build) an 8 wrap twisted 28ga kanthal/30ga ni200 8 on a 3mm mini screwdriver in my Lemo. It came it at .13 ohms. Today I put in (again what I thought to be a solid build) a 5 wrap 28ga kanthal/30 ga ni200 on a 3mm mini screwdriver in my Subtank mini and it came in at .13 ohms. I made sure all coils were as perfectly spaced as much as I could. :wallbash:

Thankfully both tanks performed wonderfully and I have no issues with either, but I am none the less very confused. I would feel more comfortable if my builds were more consistent. Guess I will have to wait to change these coils out and do the exact same thing and see what happens. I'll make sure to report my findings.

I did nearly the same thing!  I made some 28/28 Ni200 and wrapped it 7 times came up with .06 removed and put of 5 wraps and it measured .06.  I then went back to single strand.  I am really wanting somthing with the airflow of a SubTank Mini but the build deck size of the Lemo 2.  I will see if these new tanks do it this weekend.

Dragon - are you still diggin' the Zephyrus? 

I must be getting the hang of this. I just built 2 separate STmini RBA builds Ni200. One metered at .16 ohms.  The other at .2. Spaced coils nothing fancy.  I spent extra care on the coil spacing and wicking. They are both kicking azz.  Great flavor. Good vapor production.   

I am pretty much sold on TC.  It's working very well.  It seems to a little more delicate and won't tolerate much error bit when it's right, it shines.  

I've created a monster, though. My wife is blown away by the performance. So, yeah, I'm currently shopping for some RTAs that are a little more feminine , lol. (open to suggestions)  She doesn't go for the steam punk thing, lol.  

I must be getting the hang of this. I just built 2 separate STmini RBA builds Ni200. One metered at .16 ohms.  The other at .2. Spaced coils nothing fancy.  I spent extra care on the coil spacing and wicking. They are both kicking azz.  Great flavor. Good vapor production.

What type build are you doing?  I really am enjoying mine, but the flavor is not as good as my Tiger Coils, that is what I am chasing.  I was hoping to do a twisted build to try to emulate it a bit.  I also think that my lack of patience has a lot to do with me not being good at building these things.  I can only get comfortably 7 wraps or so and on my mod and my meter, it is only .1 ohm.  I can't stuff enough wire in there for a .15 or .2, but I would be a bit more comfortable with it if I could.  I am pleased overall though.

I've created a monster, though. My wife is blown away by the performance. So, yeah, I'm currently shopping for some RTAs that are a little more feminine , lol. (open to suggestions)  She doesn't go for the steam punk thing, lol.  

IMO none of the current stuff is very feminine.  The only thing I can think of is a SubTank Mini with a bell cap?  I don't know what type of lady she is, but I have seen a lot of "vape jewelry" on etsy

Jason said:   What kind of build are you doing?

I'm doing a simple 28g single coil spaced wraps - 9 or 10 wraps on a 3mm spindle.  Nothing fancy at all.  I figure if I can get this right then I can play around later but for now I'm happy with it.

oh, and I'm using Koh Gen do cotton

Edited by Bebop

Jason said:   What kind of build are you doing?

I'm doing a simple 28g single coil spaced wraps - 9 or 10 wraps on a 3mm spindle.  Nothing fancy at all.  I figure if I can get this right then I can play around later but for now I'm happy with it.

I must be spacing them out too much or something.  If I start getting them very wide my legs try to touch the coil when I am securing them under the screws.  I can get 10 wraps on my Lemo, pretty easy, but I have a connection issue, and don't care for the airflow.

I wrap the coil tight as I can to get it even then I gently spring it apart from the ends while still on the spindle. I play with it until the spacing is even. Then I load it on the deck with the spindle still in it so I don't F it up. I secure it with the screws in place then adjust it with the spindle. Then I wick it up and make any final adjustments needed to make it perfect.  It's a bit of a pain but it seems to be paying off. 

Dragon - are you still diggin' the Zephyrus?  

Heck yeah. I love me some Zephyrus. I go between the Zephyrus and my STmini and Lemo mostly. I still haven't perfected a ni200 build on the Zephyrus  yet so its just kanthal. Both my Lemo and STmini are strictly ni200 builds.

I wrap the coil tight as I can to get it even then I gently spring it apart from the ends while still on the spindle. I play with it until the spacing is even. Then I load it on the deck with the spindle still in it so I don't F it up. I secure it with the screws in place then adjust it with the spindle. Then I wick it up and make any final adjustments needed to make it perfect.  It's a bit of a pain but it seems to be paying off. 

In my experimenting I actually found that if I make a tight contact coil with the coil master, then take a small mini screwdriver (not phillips) and place it between the coils and gently twist the screwdriver making a tiny gap. I do this to both the top and bottom of the coil until I get nearly perfect spaced coils while the build stays nice and tight (small length wise). If I just make it spaced from the beginning then gaps between the coils tend to be too far apart. Just my funky way of keeping tight spaced coils to fit in some of these tiny decks.

Edited by DragonGunner

In my experimenting I actually found that if I make a tight contact coil with the coil master, then take a small mini screwdriver (not phillips) and place it between the coils and gently twist the screwdriver making a tiny gap. I do this to both the top and bottom of the coil until I get nearly perfect spaced coils while the build stays nice and tight (small length wise). If I just make it spaced from the beginning then gaps between the coils tend to be too far apart. Just my funky way of keeping tight spaced coils to fit in some of these tiny decks.

Yeah, I ran in to the same thing. If I tried to wrap a loose coil it never came out even and was a pain to try and make even and I would just fight it. It seems if you make a contact coil first and then work it you can get a nice compact coil with spaces. So far that's the best result for me. 

Okay.  We're getting closer.  She likes the bell cap for the STmini.  I found some bell caps for the Kayfun that are colored and she loves those.  I'm now trying to find a colored bell cap for the STmini.  Has anyone seen those?  Sorry, I'm going a little off topic here.......