New Mech Mod

Brandon76

Looking into buying a new mech mod. Just really undecided on what to get. I bought a silver Cherry Bomb box mod, but I'm still waiting for it to come in the mail since I'm in Aghanistan. Currently have the Stingray and Carbon Fiber Manhattan, also I have my ProVari (but it's not being used). Any suggestions/ideas would really be appreciated.:)

I only own two mech mods but I have used what seems like a ton of them.  I own an aluminum body Limitless and a Hyon, and I use both regularly.  I've also used Mutation X, Tugboat, Dotmod, SMPL, Metal Moose and Manhattan mods to name a few.  The Limitless and the Hyon are two very different mods with two very different price points and I use them in slightly different manners.

I use the limitless exclusively with RDAs as it has a hybrid topcap and I simply don't want to take any chances with my tanks even though I know perfectly well some of my tanks will work just fine with it.  Better safe than sorry, in my opinion.  When I use the Limitless, I also tend to keep my builds around .5 ohm, no matter what RDA I'm using.  .5 ohm just seems to be the sweet spot for me with that particular mod.   It also tends to be my "kick back in the mancave and vape while I enjoy a beer" mod of choice.

The Hyon I use primarily with RDAs, but I will also occasionally use tanks with it.  I carry it and use tanks when I need something a little easier to stick in a pocket than one of my regulated box mods.  With RDAs, I build down to around .2 ohms and use high VG juices with it.  Basically, when I'm dripping, my Hyon is my "cloud chasing" mod of choice.

In a nutshell, I would recommend any of the mech mods I have used or own.  I haven't been disappointed in any of them.  The Limitless cost me around $90 (for the aluminum one; they also make a brass and a copper version, each priced a little higher; around $120 for the brass and around $150 for the copper) and it has interchangeable sleeves so you can customize it.  I have 2 sleeves with several more being machined specifically for me.  The Hyon cost quite a bit more; about $250 out the door after taxes.  They have models priced anywhere from $200 up to $280.  The prices are all based on the finish, but they are also worth every penny in my opinion.

Basically, I guess it would come down to your personal preferences as far as look, style, quality and what you're willing to spend.  For the money, the Mutation X mods and the SMPL mods are decent little mods at around $40-$50, the Tugboats are great at around $100, the Metal Moose mods are around $150-$175 and the Dotmods and the Hyons are a bit higher at around $200-$300, depending on finish.

From what I've seen, mech mods aren't as popular as they once were. That said, my favorite mech mod is the Magneto. The K100 (Empire mod clone) is a close second. Both are very inexpensive to buy. More people these days (if our members are any indication), are going for the variable voltage/variable wattage devices. My personal favorites are the Eleaf iStick 50W (I have four... or was it five) of them now. Next is the IPV mini and IPV mini 2, which takes an external battery. These are around $50 or less.

I do second the VV/VW box mods... the iStick 50W is great if you like self-contained batteries, and I cannot recommend the IPV-mini (V1 or V2) and the Cloupor mini strongly enough... I have more of them than I can use, and I still think I could use another :)

As for mechs... I have four, but regularly (and I use that term loosely) use only one... my Copper Penny (HCigar clone)... recessed switch, heavy, all copper body and contacts, fully adjustable, and the voltage-drop is negligible...  and for $30-35, you can't beat it.  They also make magnet upgrades for it, which make it a fantastic mech for the money.  My next favorite is my brass Windrose (also an HCigar clone)... smooth as silk and always fires perfectly... looks nice too :)  My only complaint on it is the firing lock... too dang small to really get my big fingers around, or I unscrew the base as I spin it...

I went hardcore mechanical a while back & feel in love with my ALL COPPER AR,, you'll have seen the pics of it before sooo I dont need to show it off again..

(its tarnishing nicely!!)

it hits like a freight train with my Atlantis with Dekang Tobacco 24mg juice..