How To Mod The Kanger Subtank Mini RBA Deck?

duke9023

Don't mod it...learn to wick it the right way.

Find dragongunners wicking method. It works so much better. I use it on my rda's also.

Less is more...I wish I could send you a link. I can't on this stupid/smart phone...it works so well...

Somebody else help me out and post that link...

Don't mod it...learn to wick it the right way.

Find dragongunners wicking method. It works so much better. I use it on my rda's also.

Less is more...I wish I could send you a link. I can't on this stupid/smart phone...it works so well...

Somebody else help me out and post that link...

I totally agree!  This is the method I use also.

Your description is half right, Less is more, and More is more.  One of the things that makes it work so good is the the oversize part you are stuffing through the coil.  I don't understand the physics of it, but it makes a big difference.  I stuff nearly 8-10mm of cotton into a 3mm coil before I thin out the tails.  It can tear a coil up if you are not careful.  It also helps greatly if you can trim the ends as close to perpendicular with the deck as possible.

I totally agree! This is the method I use also.

Your description is half right, Less is more, and More is more. One of the things that makes it work so good is the the oversize part you are stuffing through the coil. I don't understand the physics of it, but it makes a big difference. I stuff nearly 8-10mm of cotton into a 3mm coil before I thin out the tails. It can tear a coil up if you are not careful. It also helps greatly if you can trim the ends as close to perpendicular with the deck as possible.

Jason, you are correct. I have a problem not typing everything that's in my mind...lol I have also destroyed a coil trying to stuff the cotton thru. It's funny in a way how all this stuff works at times. I dont understand it at all. I just know it works most if the time for me...lol

Edited by Mirage

I have a problem not typing everything that's in my mind...lol

I totally understand this.  I type and type, erase, post and think that looks and sounds good.  The I go back (after the time where I can edit it) and say dangit, I wish I would have said that different!

I knew you knew it, because we have both been using the technique for a bit, I just didn't want the OP to read it and under wick...lol

i will take some pics on my next build.  basically i take the tweezers and  grap the end of the cotton strip and twirl it (not tight just normal twist) towards the coil in counter clock wise direction on the left side and  clockwise direction on the right side.  basically looks like a snail's shell.  i put the rolled up cotton into the drip well. oh ya i dont trim the cotton strip right to the edge of the rda base i leave it a bit longer.  

• 2 months later...

I modded my subtank deck. You DO benefit from modding this deck if you use a coil of less than 0.3 ohm and want to push 3.6 volts (mech volts) or higher. If you do this you can get dripper-level clouds and kayfun-level flavor in one hit. Awesome. See pic. In the pic you can see where I filed the sides, but you can't see I also filed the juice channels on the base so they are about twice as wide as original. Big holes. Japanese cotton. Never a flood, never a leak, never a dry hit either. Perfection forever, and over and over. 

I used a metal file to file away the thin metal case that screws onto the deck, right over the juice channels. I filed away a good amount. Now I pull a little cotton out of these triangular "holes" to start the wicking. I also used the same file to open the original juice channels. Wicks awesome and does not flood.

BUT ITS ALL MOOT NOW because Kanger just came out with a new deck design for the RBA, currently I have only seen it in their kits, but I assume it will soon start shipping with the tank only product. This new RBA deck as the holes on the side, just like the factory cartridge does. This design is what makes the factory cartridge so awesome. And I never understood why the RBA deck wasn't designed the same way. Anyway, once this new RBA deck design comes out there will probably be no need to file away anything. 

And the Subtank is the greatest tank ever. I have ditched my drippers, and ditched my 100w box, and I am back to good ol' mech (wotofo VCO clone tube) and my Subtank mini with a filed-out RBA deck, running 24 gauge nickel wire, 1/8" coil, 0.2 ohm. Killa. My friend who used to only drip from a dual 18650 in-series box is now running a Subtank mini on the same box pushing ***7 VOLTS*** into the stock subtonic 0.5 ohm cartridge. WOW. Clouds. 

IMG_5536.jpg

Edited by vapr

I agree, the new deck pretty much takes care of the issue although nothing beats a good sick job.

the other mod I've seen is to tap two hole 1/8th of an inch opposite the cotton and that works well for those of you with the old deck.  Pretty much matches the design of the new deck.

• 6 years later...