Kanger Protank 3s LEAK!

Ok,

I have several protank 3 minis. No problem. I decided i wanted more liquid capacity, so I ordered a couple Protank 3s, to use the same coils.

I found it strange when the online instructions said to replace the head (coil?) every 10 days to prevent leaking.

The coils have been fine. The taste and vapor is great, just like the minis. But, after a few weeks, they are leaking like crazy!

Why would you need to replace a working coil to prevent leaking?

I have moved my favorite juice to different tanks, bit i am confused! I liked the flavor and vapor, but why replace a working coil every 2 weeks?

I've not used the full-size KPT3's, but I do use the AeroTanks... which are KPT3's with air-flow bases (and use BDC like the KPT3 minis).  I've only had one leak on those in the past year, and it was just a faulty o-ring!

I'm at a loss as to why these would leak so regularly that there would be a warning with the tanks... I'm blown-away by that!

Are you using the original BDC or the updated ones with the "sleeve" that covers the wick?  Although it shouldn't matter... I've used both styles, and I get at least 10-12 tank-fulls use out of a coil (at least a 30ml bottle through them) before they start to lose flavor or give a burnt-flavor due to gunk build-up... but no leakage....

I ordered them from myvaporstore.com

This is from their website:

Tips:

The metal tube in the center of this Clearomizer leads from the mouthpiece to the battery end. Avoid getting liquid in this tube when filling the Clearomizer.

When unfastening the base (atomizer head) to refill the Clearomizer, the seals are temporarily broken and liquid will leak from the mouthpiece or escape into the center tube. Always wrap a cloth or piece of tissue around the mouthpiece when unfastening the base of the Clearomizer.

Gurgling noise or leaks: This is a sign that liquid has found its way into the metal tube in the center of the Clearomizer (and usually occurs after a refill). Ridding the center tube of liquid will resolve the issue. To do so without emptying the tank, remove the Clearomizer from the battery, wrap a cloth or tissue around the battery end of the Clearomizer and blow through the mouthpiece.

The atomizer head of the Protank can unfasten when unscrewing the tube or base. Always secure the atomizer head before reinstalling the base of the Protank.

It is normal to find a small amount of liquid in the battery contact area when removing the Clearomizer or any atomizer. We recommend cleaning the battery before charging it.

When possible, keep the tank full and never below 1/3 full of eLiquid ("topped off"). This helps maintain the "vacuum" in the tank and prevent leaks.

Atomizer heads have an average lifespan between 10 to 20 days. When the atomizer head wears down, it may begin to leak. Replace the atomizer head with a new one if available.

Note the last paragraph

A gunked up coil may still heat and produce vapor (and flavor some say) but they do lose their ability to retain juice and the juice slips by and you get leaking. It's just leaking right past the coil. You could try cleaning the coil if you want to stretch them a little. Frankly I can't imagine a coil holding up much longer than 10 days under moderate to heavy vaping. They don't last forever. It's kind of a mystery they even produce vapor at all after 30 mls or so.....

Edited by Bebop

A gunked up coil may still heat and produce vapor (and flavor some say) but they do lose their ability to retain juice and the juice slips by and you get leaking. It's just leaking right past the coil. You could try cleaning the coil if you want to stretch them a little. Frankly I can't imagine a coil holding up much longer than 10 days under moderate to heavy vaping. They don't last forever. It's kind of a mystery they even produce vapor at all after 30 mls or so.....

I agree, they don't normally hold up on flavor/vapor past 30ml of juice going through them.  The coil I'm using in my AT right now is the same coil I started fresh, along with a fresh bottle of juice (very light, not very sweet), and the coil is still producing flavor/vapor quite well, even though the last of the bottle was put into the tank last night.  I'll probably change the coil when I start a fresh bottle later today... but still no leakage :)

Glocknug, the info you listed above is pretty standard for any clearo.  All of them have the potential to leak, and as Bebob said, that chance of leakage increases the longer you use that coil.  If your juices are very dark or very sweet, the chances of leaking a little juice onto the battery increases (but not a guarantee).  One thing I would suggest is that you pick up a Kanger Air-flow Control base (like the ones used by the V1 AeroTanks).  They create a barrier between the coil and the battery that will "catch" any coil leakage and hold it in the bottom of the base, keeping it from the battery.  They also provide you with adjustable air-flow for your KPT3.  I use them with all my KPT2 tanks :)  It is not a fool-proof method, and does not stop coils from leaking, but it does add a layer of protection that was not there before.  Just remember when using these bases, after every fill-up or two, to pull the coil from the base and swab out any drips that have accumulated... otherwise, juice will pond in the base, eventually leaking out of the air holes or cause connection issues between the coil and the base.