Little 2 sweet

So made a batch of green apple and double apple and it was good, but kinda two sweet on the throat hit. No doubt 2 much flavor could be to blame. What would be a good way to tone it down a bit? I made 300ml total. Was maybe thinking of making 100ml of just VG & nic to tone it down a bit, thoughts??

First rule of making a new batch of a new flavor... make a small batch of 5-10ml.  If it is too sweet, tart, bland, etc, you can adjust your mix and try again with another 5ml, etc...  Once you get the flavor you want, then you can scale up to larger quantities.

As for too sweet, Comp is right, mixing in more VG will potentially make it sweeter, and will mute the actual flavors.

I would suggest pulling a few ml of it into a smaller bottle and add in sour apple, lemon (as Tam suggested), citrus, or other tart flavors.  Once you figure out how much new flavor you needed to get what you want, scale that up to mix with your remainder of the 300ml you mixed.  Tossing VG or flavors randomly into the big-batch may just ruin the whole thing and waste it?

I would need more info on your mix. If it is high VG it will be sweet just because of the VG. VG is used as a a sweetener in diabetic drinks and other foods.

NIC 20mg

60 VG

40 PG

Green apple 12%

Double Apple 8%

24 hour shaking periodically

36 hour steep in slow cooker (using glass jars)

12 hour cool off

Tried a tank full

I figured it was the 20% of flavor that did it, my girl made a few single flavors last month no steep just age with 20% flavor and the same problem super sweet like pure sugar throat hit, think the flavors have to be like 10-12% total and not 20% when using similar flavors. Or single flavors. If there is a way to save it I would rather do that, it is 300ml and has potential. But if I have to toss it I will it is what it is.

36hrs of heating? Why? That is not doing anything but cooking the juice and degrading the nicotine. If your jars were not covered it may have steamed off some the flavor and PG.

Aside from that, I'm not sure there is anyway to really cut down the sweet without dropping the VG. By cutting with PG it will reduce the Nic content and will also boost the TH. It will reduce some of the sweet taste and dilute the flavor. There may be added sweeteners in the flavorings, though Flavor West did not list any on the site. I would test a small amount first as others have mentioned.

I would first try reducing 5ml to a 50/50 blend and see if it helps.

Update, it just may need some time to age a bit, I don't think I will have to trash it at all, I'm gonna give it a week or two and go back to it.

I also made a honey tobacco Apple one with a pinch of caramel last night. Steeped it over night and everything blended good, I for sure will give it some time now before I test it out. Toned down the flavors on this one and kicked up the VG a bit, we will see how it turns out.

36hrs of heating? Why? That is not doing anything but cooking the juice and degrading the nicotine. If your jars were not covered it may have steamed off some the flavor and PG.

Aside from that, I'm not sure there is anyway to really cut down the sweet without dropping the VG. By cutting with PG it will reduce the Nic content and will also boost the TH. It will reduce some of the sweet taste and dilute the flavor. There may be added sweeteners in the flavorings, though Flavor West did not list any on the site. I would test a small amount first as others have mentioned.

I would first try reducing 5ml to a 50/50 blend and see if it helps.

Thank you for the advice, I'm gonna let it age a week or two and re test it out. As far as the 36 hours in the slow cooker on low, I don't really believe it cooked the juice at all, just kept it warm enough to blend everything together. I use the slow cooker with the lid off and I can put my finger in the water, it's a little above warm but not burning hot or boiling.

Was the juice bottle itself sealed when you heated it? Nicotine evaporates rapidly. Heating it may have reduced your nic content leading to sweetness as well.

Comp, is there a way to accurately measure nic content after mixing?

Was the juice bottle itself sealed when you heated it? Nicotine evaporates rapidly. Heating it may have reduced your nic content leading to sweetness as well.

Comp, is there a way to accurately measure nic content after mixing?

No I do not leave them sealed, and like I said my slow cooker is not really cooking the juice it is just warming it for the purpose of blending everything together. I have a base nic test kit from wizard labs. Also my Nic is 100mg 100%VG from wizard labs as well, so I do not think that would evaporate at all. If it did a little it's no big deal, I made it 20mg of nic and I am use to 18mg for my purchased vapes. Vapping the juice I made for a few days now, I must say it is getting better everyday. Not as sweet as when first tried, and I feel very satisfied after vapping, so I doubt the nic juice was weaken during warming at all.

So I am very sure the issue with this juice was it was just made with to much Apple flavoring. Thanks to everyone for the advice and thoughts, I will re visit this juice at a later date to tweek it. I feel confident that by making a VG/PG/NIC only mixture and using it to tone this down a bit will work just fine.

I'm still trying to figure out why your cooking your juice...

I cook for a living and I can put a hunk of meat in a slow cooker and get it well-done with that time...

Your burning that crap.... No disrespect but none of this needs to be heated up...

I cook for a living and I can put a hunk of meat in a slow cooker and get it well-done with that time...

Your burning that crap.... No disrespect but none of this needs to be heated up...

I agree. We know heat degrades nicotine (not just evaporation). Whether it's significant amount is debatable but since his original post was more aligned with flavor and he appears to have solved that I'm just letting it drop... :)

Not cooking it, I am warming it for blending purposes. Many juice makers do this. It speeds up the aging process.

I do as well, but not for 36 hours. It just needs to be warm enough to change the viscosity of the VG (make it thinner) and then a good shake is more than enough.

I have seen some posts at other forums recommending doing this up to 3 days. There is some trail and error making these things no matter what you do or read. Also it depends on your heating source, one slow cooker may boil on low, and one may just keep warm. It depends. I was gonna do this one for 3 days as I did read it else where, my Home Run thread in the DIY section, I made it late night and pulled it when I woke up in the morning. Trail and error and seeing what works and what does not. It's a process. I know for a fact warming works for me. It's amazing.

I would be interested to see what your nic tests at after you do your aging process. Let us know.

I will for sure keep everyone updated. I however can say this. I have been use to the halo line for a while now, I was using the 18mg nicotine that they have. I would vape through about three 2.5ml tanks, the halo flavor was good. But I must say with my juice I actually feel more satisfied and am going through about a tank less a day then I have been with the halo e juice. I personally wouldn't have thought jumping from 18 to 20mg would have made a huge difference but it has. I also noticed with a juice like the Modzilla which I thin it's only a 12mg I go through way more juice then I would with the halo juices.

I made the juice for my own personal stash, not for sale. However If you would like to check out a bottle and let me know what you think I have no problem pulling you a bottle from one of my jars and sending to you to check out.