help picking an rta and rda

drizzt

I am looking to buy both an rta and rda both will be my first purchase and budget is a concern. For an rda I was thinking something like a doge or freakshow but other options will certainly be welcomed. for rtas I am a little more up in the air. Maybe a delta 2 or subtank mini? not too sure.

As an afterthought I should mention I plan to use these on an Istick 50 watt.

Before buying an RDA or RTA, do you have an Ohm meter? Even if you plan to buy premade coils, it's best to measure their resistance every time. Not all coils are the resistance they say they are and it's good to know exactly what you're working with. Safety first! Good luck with your search.  :)

For an RDA I love my EhPro Stillare or JAM RDA. Both work very well and are easy to build on for me. I'm not into RTAs so someone else will come along with a good rec there. 

I do have an ohm meter. also with the istick being regulated and having another built in meter I would think between those three things I will be alright. I do not plan to push the limits of anything I am a fairly cautious person with most things. The meter was the first thing I bought even before the thought of re- buildables 

Good for you for having an Ohm meter already! The built in meters on regulated devices are hit and miss for measuring. For example, the iStick 20W are infamous for not measuring accurately and being off by quite a bit. The 30W are better and closer while the 50W are even more accurate. Still, I trust my Fluke the most.  :)

Kudos for already having a meter!

For RDA, I like my Magma, and the Stillare isn't bad.  As long as the posts are strong and have decent size openings for wire... and the juice-well is capable of holding more than a couple drops, you should be good with most any RDA.  Oh, and more air-flow is a good thing, especially if you plan to go below 0.5 Ohms.

For an RTA, you likely won't be sub-ohming it... I like mine in the 1.3-1.6 Ohm range for best flavor.  I really love my Russian 91% and always recommend the Russian and Kayfun Lite-Plus as a good starter RTA.  The Orchid is a beast for flavor and vapor, but it is dual-coil with high air-flow, which also means it chugs the juice.  The Kayfun V4 is a good one too, but I'd recommend getting the Infinite clone over a Tobeco or no-name.  I have an Infinite and Amod clone, and both are very well made.  The only issue is the spring, which can be upgraded or stretched for better performance/connectivity.

Kudos for already having a meter!

For RDA, I like my Magma, and the Stillare isn't bad.  As long as the posts are strong and have decent size openings for wire... and the juice-well is capable of holding more than a couple drops, you should be good with most any RDA.  Oh, and more air-flow is a good thing, especially if you plan to go below 0.5 Ohms.

For an RTA, you likely won't be sub-ohming it... I like mine in the 1.3-1.6 Ohm range for best flavor.  I really love my Russian 91% and always recommend the Russian and Kayfun Lite-Plus as a good starter RTA.  The Orchid is a beast for flavor and vapor, but it is dual-coil with high air-flow, which also means it chugs the juice.  The Kayfun V4 is a good one too, but I'd recommend getting the Infinite clone over a Tobeco or no-name.  I have an Infinite and Amod clone, and both are very well made.  The only issue is the spring, which can be upgraded or stretched for better performance/connectivity.

I actually have both an ohm meter just for coils and a digital multimeter. I am a little bit of a tinkerer and my father in law is an electronics engineer so we are always working on something. 

As for the russian 91% how is the vapor production? On the reviews I have seen people seem to love them but it looks as yhough the amount of vapor is much less than some of the competition. I guess flavor is more important to me but I would still like good amounts of cloud if possible.

If I do opt for the russian I will probably have to wait on the rda as I don't want my wife to murder me for spending too much on my new hobby. Between a new istick 50 and a russian 91% I will be near the top of what will go unchecked so to speak.

I have the Freakshow and it's a great RDA. I can get enough juice on the wick and in the well to last at least as long as a cigarette would so dripping is not too much of a PITA. It's also authentic and can be had for about 30 bucks.

I have the Freakshow and it's a great RDA. I can get enough juice on the wick and in the well to last at least as long as a cigarette would so dripping is not too much of a PITA. It's also authentic and can be had for about 30 bucks.

the only complaint i hear is leaking due to the bottom air chambers. how much do you experience? The flavor is supposed to be pretty amazing though so that is why It is on my list. Thanks for the input

I actually have both an ohm meter just for coils and a digital multimeter. I am a little bit of a tinkerer and my father in law is an electronics engineer so we are always working on something. 

As for the russian 91% how is the vapor production? On the reviews I have seen people seem to love them but it looks as yhough the amount of vapor is much less than some of the competition. I guess flavor is more important to me but I would still like good amounts of cloud if possible.

If I do opt for the russian I will probably have to wait on the rda as I don't want my wife to murder me for spending too much on my new hobby. Between a new istick 50 and a russian 91% I will be near the top of what will go unchecked so to speak.

I have 5 Russians... two are authentic (bought on a going-out-of-business sale, or I wouldn't have afforded them either), but the three clones are really good clones from YiLoong and some unknown company, bought for $18-25 each.  The YiLoong clones have "The Russian 91%" printed on the body, with the proper outlined "T" and "R", and the "n's" are upside-down "u's", just like the authentic.

It is true, they are best for flavor, but I get satisfying clouds from them too, using 50/50 and 40/60 juices.  Clouds won't win any competitions, but they are thick and smooth, and give the sensation of a fine cigar.

The insulators on the Russians (and Kayfun, and many other RTAs) are not designed to handle high heat produced by sub-ohming, and, the flavor is best (for me) when your builds are 1.3-1.5 Ohm, using 28ga on a 3mm mandrel, and lift the coil about 1.5-2.0mm over the air-hole.

Do you happen to have a link to the yiloong clones? How do they compare to the real deal.I found authentic 91% v2's for $50 on sale seems like a good price. But if the clones are good cheaper is better

If you found authentic for $50, snag 'em!  (unless they are from eBay, as they are likely not authentic)

To me, you can't tell the difference between the YiLoong and Kebo (authentic) as far as the quality of vape.  There are physical differences, such as the air-flow-control screws are Allen-head screws on the YiLoong (flat-head on authentic), and the placement of the air-flow-screws are reversed.  The YiLoong are a bit taller too (because they share the body with the Kayfun Lite Plus clones they also make), which gives them about 0.5ml more capacity.

I don't have a link handy, but I'll try to locate one of the YiLoong for you and PM it to you.

I'm pretty sure all RDA'S/RBA'S leak if you overfill them. The idea is to drip enough juice on to saturate the wick. I find that I can get a little in the drip well and unless I overfill it or tilt it I have no issues with it leaking.

The freak show, kennedy and other rda with bottom air chambers will leak if you drip over the coil that sits right over the air chamber.  The end of the wiq that is closest to the air chamber should be routed between the ground post and positive post to the opposite juice well.  You should then drip your juice at the bottom of the coil or the end that is farthest from the air chamber.

I just ordered the freakshow. I got in my I stick 50w . I also ordered yet another multi meter to have around as another reference point.

I am now debating between the russian 91%, the kanger subtank mini and the delta 2 with rebuild deck. I am not in a huge rush for any of the tanks as I will have my hands full with learning the whole rebuild thing and triple checking myself for safety.

The help on this forum is pretty amazing.