Vape catching fire

ddupree20

I recently bought a mod changeling and after using it for a few hours i got a weird taste, so i decided dripping some more onto the cotton would do the trick.....then it caught on fire. I took a quick look at it and noticed one of my coils is heating up ridiculously fast before the other even has a chance causing the cotton to literally burn to the point of having to replace that side (which i haven't done yet). I'm pretty confused and haven't had much luck figuring out whats causing it to do this. Any help would be much appreciated!

Sounds to me like your coils are not balanced (same resistance on each side), and cotton bursting into flames is almost unheard of, unless the cotton was extremely dry, which should not have happened unless your "few drops" didn't reach that particular piece of wick.

Pull both coils, and trash them.  Rebuild two new IDENTICAL coils of twice the resistance you are targeting... if you want 0.5 Ohm from your RDA, then you must build two, identical 1.0 Ohm coils.  Ensure they are seated firmly, and the screws are TIGHT.  Then, most importantly, use your Ohm reader (if you don't have one, you need to get one, yesterday) to read the resistance and check for shorts before placing it on your MOD and firing it.  Test-fire the coils to ensure proper burn (inside > out) and tweak them with tweezers until you get the proper burn.  Do this BEFORE you add wick and attempt to use it.

Safety First... safety second... safety always!

If one side is firing long before the other, like Earthling said, are they the same resistance? Other than that, I ran into something similar on the first RDA I bought, one of the coils was not firing at all. After close inspection one of the legs on the none firing coil had broken.

The screw pinched it enough to actually cut it.

It would heat up intermittently, then not at all.

I would suggest as Earthling has. He is a man of wisdom. :unworthy: