sub ohm help for a co-worker

my co-worker just got a mech mod form a friend of his and started building coils.

I am a little concerned  as he has no idea what he  is doing and I don't have enough knowledge to help him.

He built a cooil and used it without putting it on a meter. I convinced him to buy a meter and the coil was .33 ohms.The next day he brought in another coil that metered out  at .12 ohms is this safe? He thinks the battery he is using may be a samsung 18650 2500 mah? but he also picked up another battery locally that appears to be a sony vtc5. Is any of this going to be problematic for him

Verify exactly what the batteries are. No "think" about it. The battery must be rated higher than 35amps on that .12 build. (.12 is too low for somebody who doesnt know what he's doing!)

See thread where guy who didn't know what he was doing blew up his hand (and got lucky he moved it away from his face!!)

one of the batteries was already in the mod when he got it from his friend and the other his buddy picked up for him yesterday. he I guess only said it was the stores most expensive higest mah battery they had. I am trying to convince him to stay away from such low ohm builds. maybe showing him the thread about the guys hand will help. I am just trying to get some hard numbers for him because his  response is. it was fine vaping last night so I am sure it will be ok. 

Find my thread that is titled...Someone blew themselves up today...I think I put it in the Health and Safety section. If it's not there then I put it in the Vaping in the News section.

Your friend will be the next person on the National News that makes the rest of look like a bunch of idiotic children if he keeps this up. Batterys are NOTHING to play around with and you MUST know what your using. These battery we use are not like normal batterys at all...

I just checked for ya. I put it in the Vaping in the News section...

Read it and make your friend read it too...

Here's the link to your post: 

Just because your co-worker had no trouble with his mod, battery and sub-ohm coil today doesn't mean that he will never have any problems. He might have gotten lucky. Personally, I wouldn't trust that luck to hold out if he continues as he's been for too long without knowing what he's doing. He's an accident waiting to happen, in my opinion.

"Mah" has NOTHING to do with it. You need to find the AMP rating of the battery, not the mah.

Probably nothing will happen. Probably the battery amperage is rated high enough. Probably everything will be ok....until he forgets the battery one day and decides it's all fine and swaps in another battery and because he doesnt know what he's doing he uses a battery not rated for that ,12 and BOOM there goes his face, or worse, YOUR face cuz you're standing next to him.

I'm looking out for YOU. :)

"Mah" has NOTHING to do with it. You need to find the AMP rating of the battery, not the mah.

Probably nothing will happen. Probably the battery amperage is rated high enough. Probably everything will be ok....until he forgets the battery one day and decides it's all fine and swaps in another battery and because he doesnt know what he's doing he uses a battery not rated for that ,12 and BOOM there goes his face, or worse, YOUR face cuz you're standing next to him.

I'm looking out for YOU. :)

Moral of this story? If he continues to use such low sub-ohm coils but doesn't learn anything about safety, AMPS, batteries... don't stand anywhere near him when he's using his mod.  :)

^^^ditto^^^.

Even if it is a regulated mod. Too low an AMP rating can and will lead to problems. Best case the battery vents. Worst case it will explode like an M-80 on Fourth of July. Cool explosion with catastrophic results!

The best advice you can give him until he understands what he is doing, Tell him to learn ohms law and fully understand what it means. Batteries that are not rated for the kind of current that can be drawn from using such a low build can and will blow up.

Example .12 @ 4.2v= 35 AMPS. 4.2v is the max fully charged voltage that these batteries can produce.No battery I know of can withstand that kind of current draw. The batteries you mentioned are rated at 20A continuous load to the best of my knowledge. 

.33 ohms @ 4.2v= 12.73 AMPS.

Edit: forgot to mention. If these warnings are heeded, it will just be natural selection

Edited by GeorgeF

the first battle you should be taking on is getting your friend to get on the forums and read things for himself.

Why does he want to go below 0.3ohms,  i have seen dual 12 wrap coils at 0.3 ohms  blow more smoke that should satisfy any cloud chaser desire.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update. my buddy is now vaping a regulated istick and targets his builds at .5 ohms or above. I have him checking every build and also periodically checking the coils after using for a couple of days  making sure there are no big changes. 

He and I have differing thoughts on what vaping should be (he wants huge clouds and decent flavor, I want huge flavor and decent clouds) but at least we can all be safe.

Thanks for the input everybody

Wow! What a topic. Scary but I'm glad you brought it up drizzt. Many newcomers reading this should benefit from it. I hope that your buddy learns more about what he is doing before he hurts himself or someone else around him.