Kangertech Subtank - Coils lasting 1-3 days

as the title suggests.. I am using an E-LVT battery and have tried both the .5 and 1.2 ohm coils. the cotton is often BLACK by the end of the first day after putting in a new coil. 

- Yes, i let the juice soak for at least 10 mins when swapping a coil 

- Yes, i put some juice directly on the coil whenever I fill the tank

- Yes, i "Prime the wick" before EVERY puff

Within usually 1-2 days the flavour is completely gone, not getting any dry hits either. Just loosing all the flavour very quickly. The Cotton seems to be turning black even though with the 1.2 ohm coils I am firing it at 12 watts (which is kind of pitiful on its own.)

This is incredibly frustrating + expensive and I seriously doubt my vape store will take the tank back unless i can demonstrate that something is actually wrong with it or the E-LVT. Anybody have any suggestions? Could it have anything to do with the E-LVT as opposed to the Subtank?

thanks 

Edited by malm123

as the title suggests.. I am using an E-LVT battery and have tried both the .5 and 1.2 ohm coils. the cotton is often BLACK by the end of the first day after putting in a new coil. 

- Yes, i let the juice soak for at least 10 mins when swapping a coil 

- Yes, i put some juice directly on the coil whenever I fill the tank

- Yes, i "Prime the wick" before EVERY puff

Within usually 1-2 days the flavour is completely gone, not getting any dry hits either. Just loosing all the flavour very quickly. The Cotton seems to be turning black even though with the 1.2 ohm coils I am firing it at 12 watts (which is kind of pitiful on its own.)

This is incredibly frustrating + expensive and I seriously doubt my vape store will take the tank back unless i can demonstrate that something is actually wrong with it or the E-LVT. Anybody have any suggestions? Could it have anything to do with the E-LVT as opposed to the Subtank?

thanks 

I have had this trouble too.  I noticed on mine, I was getting one to two weeks out of a Nautilus coil, but only 3 days on the SubTank Mini.  I was not loosing much flavor though.  It still tasted fine.  They look terrible though.  I think being able to see the coil and the coil is so large, it looks much worse than it is.  I also noticed that if I used cheap juice in it (or cheaply made juice) it was much worse.  I now get all of my juice from Fadora Vapor and it has worked great.  I am also running a 70vg 30pg and this seems to help.  Closing the airflow down a bit seemed to help the flavor too.

To eliminate the problem, I have just gone straight to the RBA.  I use some tiger wire and Japanese cotton.  I am running a 2.5mm coil that is 1.5 ohms at 15 watts and it is perfect.  I have learned that the SubTank Mini's RBA like a wick that is very tight in the coil, but only touching the build deck.  It makes it very hard to build with this small tiger wire.  I am using nearly 6mm of cotton in a 2.5mm coil.  It sounds like it wouldn't work, but i can't seem to choke this coil, and the more I add the better it gets!

Your E-LVT shouldn't be causing a problem. The only time a device (APV) will really change the way you vape is if it can't be regulated low enough, or if the PWM is a low frequency and it causes rattlesnaking effect.

Edited by jasonculp

Cheaply made juices, very sweet juices, and very dark juices will gum up a coil quickly, and diminish the flavor.  Upping the Watts will help some, but is not a cure.  The cotton is getting dark, probably not really burnt, due to the charring-effect of the juice on the coil... this happens to EVERY coil, but you rarely see it in a KPT or Nautilus coil :)  One nice thing about Japanese cotton is that it will darken due to coil-char, but still wicks well... until you do burn it, and you'd know if you did... the taste would be horrible.  The char builds-up, and eventually the char-flavor will overpower the juice flavor, which is why you get less and less juice flavor, over time.

For your 1.2 Ohm @ 12W... that's not bad, and probably the limitation of the juice.  I run my RTA's between 11W and 18W, depending on the juice, and my lowest builds are 1.3 Ohm, up to 1.6 Ohm.  I'm running a 1.3 Ohm coil right now @ 12.5W, and the flavor is excellent at that level.  More power does not equate to more flavor (or more clouds)... it usually just means "more burnt" :D

Jason is spot-on about the quality of the juice extending the life of the coil.  I've been mixing my own juices, and the ones I've gotten from better vendors (like Fadora) seem to make my coils/wicks last MUCH longer before flavor drops-off.  Cheap, sweet, high-PG juices seem to kill a coil's flavor ability FAST.

I was kind of vague in my answer.  They LOOK extremely dirty after 3 days.  It is worse than any I have ever seen.  I ran them for a week or so and the flavor became muted and I changed it.  (I was running about 50 ml through a coil) I have never had one fail, or get really bad, just less flavor, possibly less than my Nautilus.

I don't think that I will ever go back to the stock coils though.  The Tiger wire, thick wick combo is so much more flavorful, and spits so much less than the stock coils.  I am also running a lower wattage and using much less juice.

I vape with a Kanger Subtank Mini / 50watt iStick combo and my occ coils easily last me 3 to 4 weeks each. I'm very impressed with them. I used the Kanger enclosed dual coils, which were an improvement over the single coils, and lasted about 6 days. These coils are another reason I love my Kanger Subtank; I'm saving lots of money on coils. I vape 50/50 blends of mostly Nicoticket ejuice.