Somebody blew themselves up today...

Mirage

This will be a major big hit to us if its the truth.

The rumor mill is saying someone was using a Atlantis tank on a Hybrid mod today and it blew up in there face. From what I'm reading it didn't vent, it blew up... It seems the Atlantis has a adjustable pin in the 510 connection? Then something about the hybrid top cap allowing a direct connection to the battery?

Well it seems the pin was pushed up in the Atlantis and it allowed the negative part of the tank to touch the positive end of the battery.

Maybe some of you vapefam that know the vape news sites can do some research to see if its thhe truth.

I really do hope this is just a false rumor...

Let's hope it is false, but even if it is not, it is Darwin Selection at it's finest, IMO... I just hope it wasn't some noob that was sold cheap-*ss Chinese knock-off batteries, a high-end hybrid mech-mod, and an Atlantis (device of the day) by an overzealous salesman, so they could "chuck clouds" like the cool kids.

Every day, people do stupid things in fast cars... that they have no business behind the wheel of... so people jumping into mechs without any knowledge, research, or advice is a lot like turning your 12yr old loose with the keys to your $500K Lamborghini... and who is to blame?  The person driving without knowing how, or the person who handed them the keys, telling them to "look cool"?

I found this interesting. According to a comment found here:  http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/03/09/e-cigarette-explosion-burns-oc-mans-face-and-sets-fire-to-bed/#comments

Handsome, Wealthy and Black 14 hours ago

First of all lets ignore the image of the LG HE4 battery on the left as it's irrelevant, it clearly wasn't the battery he was using otherwise it wouldn't appear unscathed - also it is the correct battery for the device he was using, and this wouldn't have happened had he been using it.

The device is a 4nine mechanical mod and the tank on top is an aspire atlantis. The battery remains appears to be either a red efest IMR, an AW IMR, or even worse, an ultrafire ICR.

Mechanical mod - a device with no inbuilt circuitry, the current drawn from the battery depends entirely on the resistance of the coil, which completes the circuit. ALL SELLERS OF THESE ITEMS INCLUDING THE SELLER OF THIS DEVICE CLEARLY STATES ONLINE AND IN STORE THESE DEVICES ARE FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY WITH BATTERY SAFETY KNOWLEDGE, AND FAMILIAR WITH THE OHM'S LAW.

Red Efest 18650 Battery - low amp rating, NOT DESIGNED FOR COILS BELOW 1OHM LIKE IN THE ATLANTIS. Due to the internal chemistry these batteries will vent gas and not explode if shorted

AW 18650 Battery (old version) - low amp rating, NOT DESIGNED FOR COILS BELOW 1OHM LIKE IN THE ATLANTIS. Due to the internal chemistry these batteries will vent gas and not explode if shorted

Ultrafire 18650 Battery - low amp rating, known for poor quality and faulty built in protection circuits, NOT FOR USE IN ECIGARETTE DEVICES! The batteries internal chemistry can explode if shorted. 1 MORE TIME, NOT FOR USE IN ECIGARETTE DEVICES!!!

This is user error plain and simple. This person chose to ignore all caution warnings given, he chose to use a tank on a ecigarette device it was NOT designed for, and was using the WRONG TYPE OF BATTERY, he chose to do things in such a way that makes it clear he knows nothing about ohm's law, battery safety, and has no common sense to follow clear warnings - would a manufacturer or reseller of power tools be liable if I chose to operate an item in the manner they specifically warned me NOT to do, and injured myself as a result? If you tell someone don't run by the pool as it's slippery and they do it anyway and hurt themselves, who is at fault??

Come on World - especially America, get some common sense

I watched that "news story" twice, paying special attention to the battery fragments... and it looks a LOT like an Ultrafire! 

Tam, the commenter you copied is spot-on... failure to properly use a product is the fault of the idiot user, no-one else!

I'd love to spend an hour ranting over the poor "journalism" of this piece, but I have to comment... the man was NOT SMOKING IN BED, he was vaping!!  The fact he was using an improper battery and did not have his device "tuned" properly is not even newsworthy... but never let the media miss an opportunity to let a good crisis go to waste, as this ONE instance (and the brief mention of a 17yr old last summer had one explode on him... oh, wow, two instances of stupidity in the past 8-10 months?) obviously means that all "e-mod-cigarettes" (their words) should be banned, or regulated, or perhaps the government should just issue licenses to use them?  Or require fire-suits?  Or make it a $1,000,000,000 fine if you're caught "smoking one in bed", lol?

Yep, I saw it the same way the commenter did. Mechanical mod + Wrong battery + Resistance of the coil too low for the battery = BOOM! Like you said, Earthling, natural selection at its finest.

This is precisely why we go on and on about safety! Learn Ohm's Law. Only use the proper (genuine brand name) batteries for the application. Know what the hell you're doing before you become a statistic. Clouds are not worth the hospital bills.

I don't even entertain the idea of reading these articles.there will always be idiots who don't know what they are doing no matter how much people preach about safety.Its a shame ,but true.

Welcome.  :)

He is/was a new vaper who didn't do much/any research before getting an advanced unit.

It was his first mod that he didn't do any research on before buying. He also didn't know Ohm's Law, didn't learn it first, just wanted big clouds (probably).

It was recommended by the employee who probably didn't know Ohm's Law, didn't do his research, and was just looking for a sale and found one.

I'll give ya an example,, just 2 mins ago my phone pops up say's "Military helicopter crash in Florida 11 presumed dead"...

now every family that has a service member stationed in FL is going to worry about their loved ones!!!

why didnt they wait til they had comfirmation before announcing something like that??

I'll give ya an example,, just 2 mins ago my phone pops up say's "Military helicopter crash in Florida 11 presumed dead"...

now every family that has a service member stationed in FL is going to worry about their loved ones!!!

why didnt they wait til they had comfirmation before announcing something like that??

Because, if it's not reported, then people will accuse the military/media/pick your scapegoat of covering it up and/or deliberately waiting too long to report it. At least they said "presumed".

I am fairly certain the families of those serving on the choppers that went down were notified before the media.

I would call some dumbass using unregulated and unsafe vaping gear news especially given how prevalent it is in the media anyway. It's people like him or her that will end the freedom to vape as we know it.

People compare it to fast cars or big guns or anything else we can hurt ourselves with BUT one has to be 18 and have a license to own a car and 16 and pass tests to even get behind the wheel. With guns there are background checks and age restrictions enforced.

But anyone can walk into Joe Blow Vape shop where some dumb teenager can show em how "cool" it is to blow clouds and sell them anything they want. It should be regulated 100% and if it were up to me sub ohming and cloud chasing would fade away and put the focus back on vaping as a smoking cessation technique.

I tried to take my 20 year old into my local shop last week and she has never vaped but quit smoking when she found out she was pregnant. She wanted some 0 nic because she was craving so I took her there and watched as they tried to sell her a RTA and Mod and all sorts of stuff before I stepped in and let them know she has all the hardware she needed. Even she walked out saying how foggy it was and how her eyes burned from the vapor as the tasting bar guy blows huge clouds from a .18 ohm coil he said anyway.

I have grown to seriously dislike the local vaping community and if imam being completely honest I fear for the future of vaping as we know it because of stupidity and immaturity making people push gear to their limits.

Ya do make a point, bc. I'm not interested in chasing clouds,either, but there's lots of things others enjoy that I see no good reason to try....that's just me. Guess I'll just hafta keep on suckin on my ego/evods and see what the future brings.

Well, I was at work today, enjoying the 65-deg weather on the patio, and enjoying my vape on my lunch-break, when a couple of the smokers came out... One of the ladies looked at my rig (Cloupor mini and Russian 91%)... stared at me... and then walked  over to make her (media biased, uninformed) comment to me... of course, regarding the recent "news"...   She said, "I hope you don't blow yourself up with that thing, 'cause I'm not going to take you to the hospital"

Now, my immediate brain synapse was to lash into her about media lap-dogs, etc. and cut her down... but I took a breath and calmly said...

"Yeah, it's a tragedy when a new vaper gets sold advanced gear without any training or knowledge, just to make a sale... I feel bad for him, and I sure hope the guy that sold it to him feels bad too."

Then, I proceeded to educated her (as she now seemed interested) on the benefits of vaping, how it got me away from 30-yrs of smoking, and how much better I feel every day I'm away from smoke :)  She may never try vaping, but if she does, I hope she'll come to me or at least another person (who is not an idiot sales-person looking to make a sale).  I offered my services to help her get started... maybe soon she'll strike up another conversation?

My assistant's husband tried vaping but then went back to smoking when some major stress hit. He had some bad symptoms from vaping. I offered to troubleshoot and get him on the right road. Now, it's up to him to take me up on it. If he does, he's going to be surprised with lots of good gear that I have on hand to pay forward. These are my back ups of back ups of back ups that I no longer have a need for as I've moved on   :)