What Wick Should I Use? Let's Find Out!

Compenstine

Silica wicking test

These wicks were added to VG, PG and a 50/50 blend all at the same time.

Test setup

gallery_1116_216_30403.jpg

After 5 min

gallery_1116_216_45110.jpg

After 10 min

gallery_1116_216_33204.jpg

After 15min test is ended

100% VG

gallery_1116_216_13710.jpg

100% PG ( This one surprised me a lot. It was at the top of the 1 1/2in wick I had cut in about 10min. I may do just this over with a 2in cut and see if the same thing happens.)

gallery_1116_216_7799.jpg

50/50 PG/VG Blend

gallery_1116_216_594.jpg

Overall not bad, I did not expect the Silica to do this well. Seems to be the best at wicking an equal to higher PG to VG blend

I have a question. Seems to me an important factor is the speed it wicks initially. Have you done any 10 second tests?

Is there a way to calculate the rate of flow? For example. If 50/50 wicked an inch after 10 minutes, what percentage of that inch per minute? Or is the rate constant across that 10 minutes?

Do you have any feel for flow rate?

Great job Compenstine..... One of the most enjoyable posts i have read. I vote for it to be pinned.

Im curious if you ever weighed the wicks prior to and after dipping, or if you can include it one your next Mad Scientist Adventure?

Tam Can you please change the title of this thread to " What Wick Should I Use? Lets Find Out!" biggrin.png I think it would make more sense with me adding other wicking options to the testing.

Sorry, Tam just rolled out of bed, but it looks like someone else did it. I only noticed when I was mid-way through the process. I did add the ' (apostrophe) to the Let's to make it into the contraction it should be, though... I need coffee.... I should have a warning sign not to be engaged until after I've had coffee... coffee.gif

Comp. I did reread and noticed you remarked the KDG was faster the first minute.

In my mind, the critical stage of wicking is within the first 10 seconds. From a practical standpoint, a wick in use, in order to be effective, goes thru wicking cycles. You heat the coil, the juice is evaporated thereby initiating the wicking process - it feeds the coil - but really only as you vape. When you stop vaping the wicking process continues only for a few seconds until it is saturated and ready for the next firing.

Also, it appears the you dunked the wick into the bottle submerging the bottom of the wick and left the wick standing up vertically in the jar. Is this true?

I would like to see a test where you just touch the end of wick in to a pool and see the flow rate in the first few seconds.

Or, maybe set up a coil in a device (to see what restriction at the coil does) and have it feed off a deck in to a coil.

Geez I wrote all this and realized I just filled your day for you, lol. Just some ideas to ponder. Its a great test. Thanks for doing all this work! :)

LMAO @ Bebop Good Igor...

All good suggestions. I have been out all day and just got back. There is a lot suggestions to go through. I may or may not get to them all, but I would welcome any assistance Igor. biggrin.png Thanks to who did change the title. I figured someone would see it eventually Tam. No worry. :D

Great job Compenstine..... One of the most enjoyable posts i have read. I vote for it to be pinned.

Im curious if you ever weighed the wicks prior to and after dipping, or if you can include it one your next Mad Scientist Adventure?

As far as weighing them, I don't have a scale that would measure that small of weight accurately. I wish I did because that could tell us a lot about how much liquid was absorbed.

@ Bepob

I can rig up a 10 second test. Also putting it in a coil can be done. Anyway yes you gave me some work to do Bebop.

So, since this seems to have morphed into a larger project than a couple cotton pads, I thought I would give a list of what I'm going to be testing and doing a few more tests on.

3 Types of Japanese Cotton pads (Extra tests than what I have already done)

5 types of Hemp cord (Natural Untreated)

De-gummed Hemp (Natural Untreated)

Organic Cotton Balls (Studio 35 Beauty - Walgreens Brand)

Peaches and Cream yarn

100% Cotton Wicking Cord (No Zinc Core)

100% Cotton String

Silica (Extra tests than the one I have already done)

SS Mesh (500)

I spent most of the night getting things ready and will start the tests tomorrow. This will take some time so keep checking back. The only thing I wish is that I could edit the first post and add them all in one post. This way you wouldn't have to search the whole thread for the information.

So, since this seems to have morphed into a larger project than a couple cotton pads, I thought I would give a list of what I'm going to be testing and doing a few more tests on.

3 Types of Japanese Cotton pads (Extra tests than what I have already done)

5 types of Hemp cord (Natural Untreated)

De-gummed Hemp (Natural Untreated)

Organic Cotton Balls (Studio 35 Beauty - Walgreens Brand)

Peaches and Cream yarn

100% Cotton Wicking Cord (No Zinc Core)

100% Cotton String

Silica (Extra tests than the one I have already done)

SS Mesh (500)

I spent most of the night getting things ready and will start the tests tomorrow. This will take some time so keep checking back. The only thing I wish is that I could edit the first post and add them all in one post. This way you wouldn't have to search the whole thread for the information.

I hate to even ask this with all of the work you are doing, but, do you have any Rayon? I have really liked working with it. I am using Japanese Cotton right now, but normally use Rayon.

Oh Cool that would be awesome... Thanks Tam, do you want me to wait till I'm all done or do it as get each of the tests are done.

Whichever way you want to do it, just let me know. One warning though, if it's on the weekend, it may not get done... early. For the first time in forever, I've actually been sleeping in a bit. :)

Hump? What hump?

Hey, I'd be happy to compile your data and make some useful graphs and charts biggrin.png

LOL Your Hired! :D

Whichever way you want to do it, just let me know. One warning though, if it's on the weekend, it may not get done... early. For the first time in forever, I've actually been sleeping in a bit. smile.png

I would like to wait till I'm all done then I can sort it out the way I would like it posted. I'll start a link list for you. It will be one of those things you can do when you have time. I could just compile it into a PM post and then you only need to copy and paste the PM post. That would be the most simple IMO. :D I could add Earthlings graphs to it as well. :) I like this being a community effort!