iStick and the Protank 2

T-Bone

voltage devices with Chinese origins often have a menu option that allows the user to switch between RMS and MEAN (or AVG) options. Which should you choose, and why? I'm no electrical engineer, so I can really only give you an overview of the engineering involved. What I can tell you is that RMS should be your choice.

Let's start with the an explanation of why the RMS/Mean option is included in the first place. Many variable voltage devices use pulse width modulation (PWM) circuitry to deliver power. That's how we can get a 6 volt output from a 3.7volt battery. The power essentially goes on and off rapidly and looks like a wave on an oscilloscope.

The VMAX and early versions of the ZMAX used this pulse width modulation, but used MEAN or AVG to measure and adjust the output. Because this method does not take into account the “off” time in PWM, the actual power output was often much higher than what the device was set to. You can set a VMAX to 4 volts and get output closer to 5 volts. It's a great way to burn a cartomizer if you're not careful.

Later versions of the ZMAX have been referred to as having the “8th menu option,” which signifies the ability to switch the device between RMS and Mean. RMS measures the output much more accurately and will provide a much more consistent vape. Quite frankly, there is no reason to switch back to MEAN and it's curious why that would even be included as an option. It's like giving a driver a choice of an accurate speedometer or one that reads 10mph too low.

So the short answer is that RMS is the easy choice. The question really is why were we given that choice in the first place?http://vapingguides.com/blog/2013/08/rms-and-mean/

I love the RMS/Mean debates, and throw in DC/DC/PMW and you can get people completely riled up! I love the debates, but at the end of the day they are nothing more than to measure how much power is going to the coil and DC/DC vs PMW is just how to get it there. I personally could care less what the reading says adjust as needed...lol I am a geek though, so the numbers are fun.

I do feel sorry for the people who like the cooler vape though. They are really being left out of the technology race. I understand the problems that some are having not being able to regulate much below battery voltage. I did see that the ipv mini seems to do pretty good in PMW mode (from Phil's review). I am hopeful that the new DNA40 and the SX350j people will be able to actually use temperature to regulate their mods. I don't have a DNA40 but it looks promising.

Only problem with dna40 is to use temp control you have to use nickel wire and that stuff is a pita to work with for me anyways. Plus all the problems people have been have with new chip. Evolv needed to really crack down on qc with this one

I agree. I lurk around reading all of the threads from the custom box builders, and there does seem to be more issues with them than there should be. I have never used nickel, and it doesn't sound fun.

All of that means absolutely nothing to me...and I don't even care, lol.

Kinda like computers, the people I help when they submit a ticket don't give two ***** about all the techno babble behind why I had to do what I did to fix it, they just need it fixed so they can get back to work.

Kinda like computers, the people I help when they submit a ticket don't give two ***** about all the techno babble behind why I had to do what I did to fix it, they just need it fixed so they can get back to work.

I think that is why I am in industrial sales. I enjoy the technical end of everything, and enjoy talking about it...too much. Ask me what time it is....

I enjoy fixing computers and coding operating systems, doesn't mean I need to know about my nicotine replacement device works down to the nickle plated wiring. I just want to know why it burns like **** and can't take a drag from it.

Edited by T-Bone Slums

BOOM exactly how I feel. If I cannot plug it in and have it work then I do not want it. Its why I drive new cars under warranty and take the "simple but effective" route whenever I get a chance. Vaping has evolved from a smoking cessation technique to a hobby to an all out obsession for so many lol. I just want to not smoke cigarettes in the simplest way possible.

I enjoy fixing computers and coding operating systems, doesn't mean I need to know about my nicotine replacement device works down to the nickle plated wiring. I just want to know why it burns like **** and can't take a drag from it.

I'll break it down crayon drawing style for you...your device produces more power than stated....that means more heat for the coil you are using. Get a higher ohm coil

I'll say this, it's widely known that the istick uses an outdated but still effective means of performing. I would hope that anyone wanting to purchase a new device, especially if they're not familiar with the technology would do some basic research on what they're buying.

Bcart, even though you keep a new car under warranty, don't you look into more than the shiny paint and chrome wheels to decide if it actually fits your needs?

IMO, it's more important to know about the nicotine delivery system you use. It, unlike the others, can directly effect your health.

I'll say this, it's widely known that the istick uses an outdated but still effective means of performing. I would hope that anyone wanting to purchase a new device, especially if they're not familiar with the technology would do some basic research on what they're buying.

Bcart, even though you keep a new car under warranty, don't you look into more than the shiny paint and chrome wheels to decide if it actually fits your needs?

Not really since I buy from myself and know what I like but point taken lol. My wife is on her 6th Denali since 2005 and I just buy whatever truck-SUV that has the best deal at the time.

Edited by bcartervol98

Not really since I buy from myself and know what I like but point taken lol. My wife is on her 6th Denali since 2005 and I just buy whatever truck-SUV that has the best deal at the time.

I know you have the hook up... lol In your case, I'm betting you have a pretty good idea what any model you have available has to offer.

I know you have the hook up... lol In your case, I'm betting you have a pretty good idea what any model you have available has to offer.

Definitely just joking around about the car analogy since I have ran an auto group for 10 years...just ironic lol.

^^^^Exactly! If ya don't wanna know why it burns like **** then why ask..

Because maybe it was something I was doing. Come to find out, it isn't, and there's things I can do to combat or correct the device's issues.

That ok for you pumpkin?