New Enthusiast Looking to Build

Hunterman1043

I started with a joyetech emode with a nautilus mini tank for a couple of months.... I'm a heavy smoker as well, prolly close to a pack a day, and it just wasn't doing it for me. For example, I would keep wanting to reach for a cigarette over the vape. Yet, since I got the mech mod, I've noticed I've smoked less and less but still needing to get over that hump. I feel like I'm near the summit but falling a little short, if you catch my drift. I'm also vaping with 2.4 nicotine juice which I already know to cut that down significantly... The next time I buy juice I plan to drop it down to like 1.2 or even 0.5.. So that's why I want to build since I feel that will get me past smoking or at least cut it down significantly.

Edited by Hunterman1043

Plus I'm way into the customization of things, I rarely like how things look or work out of the box... I love to tinker and customize almost everything I own; dial in the perfect settings, etc.

Edited by Hunterman1043

Ok, first things first..... Most of us will recommend starting out at no less than 18mg (1.8) and 24mg (2.4) is fine as well. Although you may think almost a pack a day is heavy, when I switched to vapeing I was at least 2 packs a day..... It most definitely can be done if you trust it. I will suggest you find a setup that gets you completely off analogs (cigs) first. Once you are vapeing exclusively and have an idea what you want more/less of you can tinker and play all you want. Get your feet under you and then the sky's the limit! IMO

If you mean harsh on the Atlantis at .5 ohms YES.... lol This is exactly why I say slow down and focus on getting off analogs. IMO, a regulated device is better to get started with than a mech. It allows you to adjust to taste and offers some safety as well. Vapeing is not as simple as picking up your bic and lighting up, but it's worth the effort to figure it out. Ask yourself, do you need more vapor to please you, or is it flavor, or are cravings a problem... etc.

Mr Smith was talking about clones and suggested the kayfun v4 clone. I've noticed that the clones are a lot cheaper and accessible than the "real" heads. Are they trustable? What materials are best? Should I count on a head that has a combination of materials or just stick to glass and stainless steel? Who makes better clones or are most clones reputable?

I have a tobeco clone. Works great. and is of good quality.

I hear robbottech makes a good clone as well.

EHPro also makes a very good clone. I have a kayfun nano+ clone from EHPro and it is a nice quality piece.

Stay away from clones that don't list th manufacturer of the clone... completely no-namer clones can be hit and miss. a buddy of mine got a no name KF4 clone recently and is having problems with it.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a nice set up. I love the look of Cartel's mods, but would never be able to commit and buy one because they don't have a locking mechanism.

Like a lot of other people have told you, do your research first. This is not something you can just jump into with no knowledge. Learn your battery safety.

Then start off with a higher gauge wire. I recommend 28g kanthal. It's a good starting point that will allow you to build low, but not too low. Also, you're vaping on a tank. Which, even though it's a sub-ohm tank, is still going to produce less flavor/vapor than an RDA. You can build at .5 and be happy there on an RDA. You may not be happy there (in an RDA), but the point I wanted to make is that they will perform differently at the same resistance.

Learn how to use the ohm's law calculator (http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms_law_calculator.php), learn what batteries will provide you the continuous amp output you will need, and just how low you can build on there. Even a couple months after starting your journey into the world of rebuildables, you should not have to worry about what each battery is rated at for pulse output. AKA: there's no need to build below .2 ohms. Pulse ratings are for the people who like to build at ridiculously low resistances. Which is not something you'll NEED to do.

Will was right in pointing out the flaw in George's comment. The battery may come off the charger at 4.2, but it will drop to somewhere around 3.7 when firing under load. So when running the numbers on the Ohm's law calculator, it's best to input voltage at either 3.7 or 3.8v.

I can't think of much else to include. I'm still just waking up, so my brain is a bit dead at the moment. Just learn learn LEARN. Do your research. When you think you've learned enough, keep searching. You can't be too safe when diving into this part of the industry.

Edited by Bushwick

Thanks for the information. Very helpful. Speaking on the locking mechanism, I agree with you. I have to make sure I don't have anything small in my pocket because one day I was at work and all of a sudden my leg felt like it was on fire. Turned out that my capstick had pressed the switch and it just heated up. The pressure was so high that the liquid had seeped out of the tank and flowed all the way down the vape. I had to spend like 30 mins completely taking the thing apart and meticulously cleaning it all out, and then putting it back together. Lesson learned. Luckily the glass on the tank didn't crack and the seals are still intact. Thank god. lol

Edited by Hunterman1043