Eleaf iStick 20w

Tam

So my new Eleaf iStick 20w has been working great since I got two of them in a few days ago from the Vapor Talk store. I have a question for those of you who are more familiar with them.

Today, one stopped working -- the "red" one. The display said there was no atomizer. There was a fairly new Custom Cisco Hybrid HH.357 atomizer at 2.0 ohms on it at the time. I tried taking it off, cleaning all connections, making sure everything was finger tight when I put it back together... the battery display said it was still half charged and I was using it at 5.6 watts.

Tried the atomizer on the blue iStick. Display said "no atomizer" again. This was on a fully charged battery.

Tried the same atomizer on my Vision Spinner and it fired right up.

Put the Nautilus mini with a 1.8 ohm coil on the red one and it read the coil at 1.8 ohms and fired right away. Tried the HH.357 again with no luck.

Has anyone else have something like this happen to them? Any wild theories to throw out there?

Once I recharged the red one it worked just fine with the HH.357. Frankly, I'm puzzled about this.

Tam, I had the same issue with my newest one... the dreaded "no atomizer" message. I had this happen when I switched from the eGo adapter to a KPT2, then to an AeroTank... the AeroTank would not recognize.

Just like the issues with the MVP center post, I had to pry (lift) the center post up just a tad, and it worked again.

I think that is the main problem anybody has with these non-spring-loaded center posts :(

PS - The supplied eGo / 510 connector short out if you screw a KPT2-mini or similar too tightly. I've had two KPT3-mini's say "atomizer short" if firmly seated on the connector.

Edited by Earthling789

One of the first things I tried was to pull the center pin up. Great minds, Earthling, but that didn't get it going. Then, I tried the other ego / 510 connector but that didn't work, either. Are you saying I shouldn't firmly seat the connector in order to make it work? I'll try that next time.

I was suspicious that the iStick wouldn't work no matter how much charge was left if it didn't have enough oomph to fire the atomizer/coil but at 5.6 watts, I didn't think it would be an issue.

Do you know where I could replace the connector with a better one?

I have two iStick 20w models and both are working flawlessly with the Nautilus and the Nautilus Mini tanks. I don't have any other tanks to run on them...

Yeah, it worked well with the Nautilus mini but I bought these to specifically replace my Vision Spinners (the first 1300 mAh) for my HH.357s. :)

One of the first things I tried was to pull the center pin up. Great minds, Earthling, but that didn't get it going. Then, I tried the other ego / 510 connector but that didn't work, either. Are you saying I shouldn't firmly seat the connector in order to make it work? I'll try that next time.

I was suspicious that the iStick wouldn't work no matter how much charge was left if it didn't have enough oomph to fire the atomizer/coil but at 5.6 watts, I didn't think it would be an issue.

Do you know where I could replace the connector with a better one?

Yes, don't seat it so firmly... I've not tried another connector, yet. I have one of the Joyetech ones somewhere... might have to dig it up?

When I got the "no atty" message, I tried lifting the center pin and the AeroTank worked just fine after that.

Thanks. I also found that if I cranked it up one watt, it seems to work better. At 5.6 watts it would go out periodically. At 5.7 watts, it's hitting perfectly fine.

I'll be sure not to tighten the connector too much. Thanks for the tip!

BTW, I just placed an order with FastTech for Kuro Koilers, and tossed in a 5-pack of eGo/510 connectors (Joyetech-style) for an additional $3 :)

If you place any orders through them in the future, adding a 5-pack is cheap insurance for having a usable connection that is cheap enough to lose or give away.

Today, one stopped working -- the "red" one. The display said there was no atomizer. There was a fairly new Custom Cisco Hybrid HH.357 atomizer at 2.0 ohms on it at the time. I tried taking it off, cleaning all connections, making sure everything was finger tight when I put it back together...

Put the Nautilus mini with a 1.8 ohm coil on the red one and it read the coil at 1.8 ohms and fired right away. Tried the HH.357 again with no luck.

Has anyone else have something like this happen to them? Any wild theories to throw out there?

Once I recharged the red one it worked just fine with the HH.357. Frankly, I'm puzzled about this.

Did you try working the center pin on the HH.357 out a tad? Seems like you only need about a hair more.

On both of my ISticks, that little center pin gets pushed down really easy. I use my KPT 2 on both of them. My black stick seems to have more issues with this than the blue one. Tighten that tank down a hair too tight and the "atomizer short", "protection" or "no atomizer" message appears. Change/refill a tank and have to adjust the pin. Sometimes I get so frustrated I'm ready to tank the black one. GRRRRRRRRRRR.

Did you try working the center pin on the HH.357 out a tad? Seems like you only need about a hair more.

Pulled the center pin on the iStick and played around with it some more. Finally got it to work again. Thanks! :)

• 3 months later...

Hi there...we got the eleaf istick with the nautilus mini in January. Worked great up until a week and a half ago. My guy and I both have one and now they are both saying no atomizer. We change the coil and it works for 3 days (maybe) and then it says it again. I don't understand how it's the battery's fault and the pin needs to be manually lifted. When it first happened, I switched the mini to the other istick and it worked. I have another tank (no idea what it is, a friend gave it to me) and I tried it on the istick that had JUST said no atomizer with the mini, and it worked. This last time it happened to both of ours, they started acting really weird...randomly going up in volts and then not allowing us to have it lower than 4.0. I'm confused and frustrated. Can someone please help? 

The "randomly going up in Volts" would seem to point to e-liquid has leaked into the battery circuitry.  The Nautilus (and mini) leak a few drops of e-liquid through the atomizer head, and into the base, which then eventually finds it's way past the spring, pin, and seal.  Juice gets into the top of the battery and slides right by the pin, and onto the circuit board.  Get enough inside the battery, and they do crazy things, up to and including not working at all.

The pin getting pushed down is a common occurrence, not just isolated to the iSticks... it happens to all "floating pin" batteries eventually, but that does not seem to be your issue.

BTW, Welcome to VT!  Stop by the New Vapers section and introduce yourself :)

Thanks for the reply Earthling! How can we fix it when juice gets down in there? I've been using e-cigs for over a year and I feel like I still know nothing! We had these cheap-o Aspire ones for a really long time and rarely had any problems with them. We bought the fancy ones cause my friend reviews a ton of vape products and she said the istick and nautilus mini was her go-to and she never has problems. I love the flavor and the nice plume from them, but replacing the coil every other day or so is just not realistic! 

Things that will burn up a coil fast are dark/sweet juices, and running really high Wattage. 

The iStick 20W run much hotter than they display, so if your target is 14W, you should be setting the iStick at ~ 8W, maybe 10W max.  Running a Nautilus mini at 18W is asking for it to fail quickly.  One of my co-workers was told by the B&M "expert" to run her Nautilus mini at 18-24W for "best flavor", and she was complaining to me how the coils didn't last a day (and her juices were hot and burnt, compared to how they tasted in her Kanger ProTank 2's)... :wallbash:

Unfortunately, once juice gets in there and messes with the circuit board, there is little you can do, as the damage is likely already done.  To prevent it in the future, keep an eye on your tanks and coils...look for any leakage... swab out the base with a bit of tissue each time you fill the tank... and always dab out any juice that makes its way onto the top of the battery!  You may not catch it all, but you should be able to prevent huge gobs of the stuff from getting inside all at once (or at steady stream).

Whoa, I didn't even know the W went that high! We keep them at nearly the lowest setting, and usually only bump them up after a few drinks haha. We have a spare istick that we just opened when both ours were saying no atomizer. Put the mini onto the new battery and it said no atomizer...first time ever being used. It has to be something with the mini right? 

Yes, sounds like the mini might have an issue as well... check the bottom of the 510 connection.  The center pin on the tank may be pushed in (up) and preventing it from making contact with the center pin on the battery.  The tank's center pin should be a tiny bit lower than the threads of the 510, or at least flush with it.  It is spring-loaded, and sometimes juice gums-up the spring and the pin won't push-down like it should.  Also check the center pin on the new battery, and make sure it's not pushed down too far to make contact with the tank.

I looked and the center pin on the mini looks like its lower than the threads. If that was the problem it probably wouldn't work when I change coils, right? It works with a new coil, but only for a few days. Did I just get like 5 boxes of dud coils? Do you think its possible I got the wrong kind of coil? These are Aspire Nautilus BVC Replacement Atomizers and were recommended to be bought with the mini on the site I ordered from. Thanks so much for talking things out with me!

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 1/9/2015 at 1:01 AM, Earthling789 said:

Tam, I had the same issue with my newest one... the dreaded "no atomizer" message. I had this happen when I switched from the eGo adapter to a KPT2, then to an AeroTank... the AeroTank would not recognize.

Just like the issues with the MVP center post, I had to pry (lift) the center post up just a tad, and it worked again.

I think that is the main problem anybody has with these non-spring-loaded center posts :(

PS - The supplied eGo / 510 connector short out if you screw a KPT2-mini or similar too tightly. I've had two KPT3-mini's say "atomizer short" if firmly seated on the connector.

I tucked a tiny piece of rubber band under the post to give it a little spring action.  Works great, keeps the center post up.