How Long Were You A Smoker Before Vaping

T-Bone

About 13 years. I started around twelve and was smoking 2 to 3 packs a day from 10th grade till I quit. I also smoked a pipe and cigars regularly. I had a hard time switching to vaping because I only ever smoked Marlboro filterless or red 100's with the filter ripped off. I also had difficulty learning to vape.

I was used to straight lung hits even when I smoked because I started with pipes and cigars before I ever touched a cigarette. It was actually three years after I started smoking that someone told me I was doing it wrong and by that point it was habit.

It wasn't until I found a good b&m that sold me a ego twist and a t3s with drilled out air holes that I switched 100%. They also custom mixed a ry4 for me. High pg 24 mg with 25% flavoring. Super high throat hit, I quit that week and never looked back.

About 13 years. I started around twelve and was smoking 2 to 3 packs a day from 10th grade till I quit. I also smoked a pipe and cigars regularly. I had a hard time switching to vaping because I only ever smoked Marlboro filterless or red 100's with the filter ripped off. I also had difficulty learning to vape.

I was used to straight lung hits even when I smoked because I started with pipes and cigars before I ever touched a cigarette. It was actually three years after I started smoking that someone told me I was doing it wrong and by that point it was habit.

It wasn't until I found a good b&m that sold me a ego twist and a t3s with drilled out air holes that I switched 100%. They also custom mixed a ry4 for me. High pg 24 mg with 25% flavoring. Super high throat hit, I quit that week and never looked back.

I thought most of the times with cigars, you don't lung inhale? At least most don't. That's why the incidence of lung cancer is so very low, while all the other cancer risks are the same. Every person I've talked to, including the owners of the area's best cigar shop, said not to lung inhale a cigar.

It depends on the kind of cigar and the smoker. If you're a cigar aficionado who buys $200 cigars your not really a real smoker, you just in it for the flavor. On the other hand if you ask any old time servicemen like navy, airforce, etc. They actually smoked theirs, but they usually had cigarellos or cigars which used to be about the size of modern day black and milds. The big fat stoggies we associate with cigars weren't actually common place, they were more of an upper class thing for a long period of time. Cigarellos or mini cigars were actually more common with the working class and were popular in old time Hollywood for a while.

I have smoked a few expensive cigars and I smoked them just the same as I did everything else. To me not inhaling is equivalent to buying non-alcoholic craft beer or virgin drinks. What's the point? If I'm going to drink I'm going to actually drink and if I'm going to smoke I'm actually going to smoke.

Rant over, to each their own. There are actually many different types of cigars and cigar smokers. I got my start on cigarellos and what most people today would probably call blunts. Both of which are inhailed. There are pipe smokers who don't inhale and actually put things like wood chips or flavoring shavings (incense, flower petals, etc.) In their tobacco because it will never touch their lungs.

I thought most of the times with cigars, you don't lung inhale? At least most don't. That's why the incidence of lung cancer is so very low, while all the other cancer risks are the same. Every person I've talked to, including the owners of the area's best cigar shop, said not to lung inhale a cigar.

True. I had a buddy back in high school though who smoked 2 packs of reds a day, and we would get together and smoke the big old stogies and he would french inhale them sometimes. They burn your lungs, I don't know how he did that though lol

• 3 weeks later...

well i was a smoker for 15 years and yes i realize i am still young but because my parents didnt care if i did or not they started buy me cartons at the age of 14 so yea i have been smoking since then, that is until December 28,2014 was when i had my last analog and i have been vaping ever since. and yea i know i started at a young age but my dad was one who would rather me do it at home than with my friends, i mean hell because of my older brother i had my very first one when i was like 7 but eh it is what it is....i finally quit and switched to vaping so i am doing much better now.

Smoked over 30 years. QUIT several times. Now I've STOPPED. Quitting has such a connotation of failure to me, stopping sounds more like a choice. I made the choice to STOP smoking. Been vaping almost a year, wouldn't go back to stinkies. Nope.

• 1 month later...

15 years.  Did quit on multiple occasions but always liked smoking too much and went back to the cig.  The reason I decided to try ecigs was because my wife would not allow me to smoke in the house and got tired of always going to the veranda for a smoke. I cant tell you how happy I have been since then.  It was super easy to quit and I am one happy vapor now!

28 years. Smoked Marlboro reds and Cigarillos for about the last 3 years. I inhaled the Cigarillos as well. Started vaping December 3rd 2013. I have bummed a few smokes here and there and smoked a few Cigarillos as well but I'm not calling myself a smoker anymore.

Started when I joined the Military after High School.
Everyone seemed to smoke in Basic; they were cheap and it was
something to do.
'Smokem if you Gotem...'
Coming up on 1 year free of them.
Not proud of the 40+ years wasted.

• 3 months later...

49 long long years.  I started 24 November 1964.  How the hell do I remember?  Well.......... It was my grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary, and to celebrate they flew all their family members to Ft. Lauderdale  from various parts of the country, myself and family from Connecticut.  I was 12.  It was memorable, having never gone farther from Connecticut than Massachusetts or Rhode Island.  It was cold in Connecticut and a few hours later toasty in Florida.  Very cool.  But it soon got so boring what with the old people chatting about the gods know what and smiling nicely to aunties, uncles and cousins.  So.......... off I went on an adventure to the pier.  There at the entrance to the pier was a cigarette vending machine.  I was kinda fascinated because my cool friends in Connecticut had let me take a few puffs on their stolen from parents cigarettes before.  So I glanced surreptitiously at that tempting bandit.   I noticed two things:  Kent said "King Size" under the brand label, and the price was listed as 35 cents.  I immediately thought, "Kent must be the biggest" and, "I've got 35 cents".  So I walked about for a bit and sneaked back past the machine and dropped in a quarter and kept walking.   A few minutes later, I came back past the vendor and dropped in a dime and continued walking.   Finally I returned and pulled the lever under the Kent sign and waited for an eternity while the thing took its sweet time dropping the pack to the lower tray.  With the speed of a hermit crab, I snatched that pack and jammed it into the hidden pocket of my shorts and ran away from the pier glancing back to make sure the narcs weren't looking of following.  That week the only thing on my mind was getting away from the party to play with my new found addiction.  I still had several left when we returned to Connecticut and thus began my life of smoking and crime to support that addiction.... 

• 2 months later...