Can't lay a Kayfun 3.1 on it's side? And I have to keep it vertical when vaping from it?

spydre

One of the reasons why I chose the Kayfun 3.1 for my first RBA was since it was coiled at the bottom, like the ProTanks, or any bottom coil tank, I (perhaps wrongly) assumed I'd be able to lay it on it's side. If I leave an APV standing up, it's going to get knocked down. That's all there is to it. I'm a klutz, as you all know. So my SO built my Kayfun for me, and tells me I can't lay it on it's side, I can't lay the APV down when the Kayfun is attached, or it will leak, and rather than tilting it when I vape, heck, when most of us vape, I pretty much have to keep it vertical the whole time (I guess to avoid the coil from not being in contact with juice - it's a silica wick, BTW). So, I'm asking, do I have to worry about leakage, and well, can I actually tilt it to vape from it. Otherwise I'd have to bend my head forward and it would be slightly uncomfortable. Yeah, I know, bit**, bit**, bit**, whine, whine, whine.

During the day, when I'm home, keeping it vertical isn't a problem. I have a holster on a lanyard for my Zmax, and I wear that around the house, but someone doesn't want me to wear that out of the house when I'm with him, even though going without it increases my chances of dropping the darned thing.

I have two Russian 91%, which are so similar, parts are interchangeable between the Russian and Kayfun... I lay them on their side all the time... One of them has been on it's side all night, and most of the day today (on my desk), and zero leakage.

The only leakage I've had was when it was poorly wicked and the vape-chamber flooded due to lack of vacuum pressure. Silica wick was also an issue with flooding (initially) in my RTA's, which is why I switched to Japanese Cotton... better wicking, and far less flooding, gurgling, and no leaking when I lay it on it's side.

Edited by Earthling789

If it is a Kayfun 3.1, the fill-port and air-flow screw is on the side. If it is a Russian, the air-flow screw is on the side of the base, and the fill-port is on the bottom. Kayfun V1 and V2 both have air-flow screws on the bottom, same as the fill-ports.

I have Kayfun and wick it with cotton. I have no leaking issues it, unless I decide to do a top fill. You have to wick it as Fishguy said like Pbusardo does and you will not have an issue laying it down. You must poke the wicking down into the well so it covers the channels (groves) cut into the well. If you do not do this, it will leak.

Okay, I double checked with my SO, yes, it's a Kayfun 3.1 clone, not a Russian 91. Thanks to bad eyesight and probably not the best font used on the logo, I can't read the "brand" of the company that makes it on the logo, but it starts with an S. I can't tell you how it's filled because I TOTALLY did not understand what he said just now - he's in a hurry because he's studying for finals - so I'm going to have to wait to tell you THAT when he can walk me through it later tonight (hopefully). He's still insistent that I keep it upright overnight, even though (I don't think he knows it) although I set it in the mug that I keep the q-tips in to clean my connections for it to sit upright when I'm not using it, it ends up sliding and laying on it's side at the bottom of the mug. He's worried about it leaking, losing the vacuum, and having to "rebuild" it, but with a silica wick, I don't think you'd have to rebuild the coil and wick if it drained, I mean, silica wicks can dry out and be used again, right? BUT, e-juice all over my bedside table that used to be his grandmother's would probably be a bad thing. Would that be better or worse than the hole I burned in the bedspread thing when we were smoking analogs and I dropped my cherry? And darn it, it's a reversible bedspread, same color, both sides, but he makes sure the burn hole is on my side every damn time. It's how he knows that it's "in the right position", lol.

I have Kayfun and wick it with cotton. I have no leaking issues it, unless I decide to do a top fill. You have to wick it as Fishguy said like Pbusardo does and you will not have an issue laying it down. You must poke the wicking down into the well so it covers the channels (groves) cut into the well. If you do not do this, it will leak.

Wait - in the well? The coil is in the bottom, so I'm not sure I understand. Well, maybe my husband would, but frankly, he doesn't like me mentioning things like "my husband" online, or referring to him, so I'm not likely to be showing him this thread. It's a long story that I won't go into, but it's not him being an arsehat, it's a privacy thing.

In simple terms, the easiest/best way to wick a kayfun/Russian is this (same as Pbusardo does it)...

1. Insert the cotton through the coil... should fit snug, but not "tight"

2. lift the cotton ends straight up, then feed them through the chimney base, screwing down the base, with cotton sticking up through the top

3. With sharp scissors, cut the cotton off, slightly above the top of the chimney base - I prefer about 1/16" to 1/8" above the top of the chimney base.

4. With a small screwdriver or toothpick, push the cotton down onto each side of the deck, so the cotton covers the juice-channels, and fills the area on the deck between the juice-channels and coil-deck. Don't pack it in, but push it down firm so it is spread out over the entire deck on each side, so it is not bunched up around the coil.

If you pre-moisten the wick with juice before continuing the assembly, it will help the wick/coil to prime faster. When I do it this way, I don't have leaks.

ditch the silica and put in japanese cotton.

wicks faster than anything else I have tried, yet doesn't flood or have leak issues.

If you have a leak, then you didn't wick it right.

should be able to lay it on its side, verticle, upside down, etc without any leaks. again: if you have a leak - you didn't wick it right.

if you wick it correctly: no leaks

if you wick it correctly and get dry/burnt hits: your wicking material sucks at wicking and should probably switch to japanese cotton, or rayon, or go through the process of "boiling" your cotton and drying it and then making wicks from it (too much work for me..japanese cotton doesn't need to be boiled to perform fantasticly, and it's easier to make wicks from as you don't need to unroll it first.)

downside to japanese cotton is you will need to rewick it every couple tank fills because it will gum up the coil and start getting discolored from the juice... re-wicking is a sinch and the more you do it, the faster and better you will be at doing it.

Edited by Mr Smith

If I'm using 50/50 juice, I'll re-wick mine after about 12-15ml of juice through my Japanese Cotton. A good indicator is that the draw will begin to tighten-up... so that tells me it is probably time to dry-burn and re-wick once the tank is empty. :)

Okay, here's a question. BTW, it's a Kayfun 3.1 clone by SvoeModesto. I don't THINK my husband told me where to fill it to - because it's supposed to have a capacity of about 4 mls, and I darn near emptied the thing, or at least dropped the juice level to nearly below the bottom of the clear part of the tank, in ABOUT two hours, and I don't even go through a ProTank in two hours - maybe half a ProTank.

The 3.1 fills from the port on the side, using a needle-bottle.

Lay it on it's side, and insert the needle to push the little spring-loaded ball out of the way, then fill until it is "almost" full... You want to leave a bit of air in the tank (based on a bubble of air showing in the window), or it will flood.

As you vape, once the juice goes below the window, there is still about 1ml or 1.5ml still in the tank. You can see if you lay it on it's side that a little juice will slide by the window :) Once you vape down to where there are only a few drops (or a sliver of juice moves past the window as you tilt it), it's time to refill.... or safe to disassemble for re-wicking.

Well, turns out, we don't have a filler tip of the size/type that will work to fill it. The type that come on my juice bottles - essentially the same as the ones on the juice in VT Store, are too big. I have a needlenose squeeze bottle, but we haven't tried it - I didn't really know until, well, I just read your post that it was supposed to be filled from the side. We've been filling it from the top, but like I said, I'm sure I'm not getting a "full" fill in. That thought was cemented again today - I filled it more than my SO had previously, and I still had run through it in a couple of hours. Trust me, I don't vape through 4 mls in just a couple of hours. I have, a couple times, run through a ProTank in a couple or a few hours, but never, you know, essentially two of them.

Top-filling invites leakage... When you top-fill, you add pressure to the juice when you screw-down the top-lid of the Kayfun. This pressure will force juice to over-wick or flood into the coil-chamber, which will push juice (eventually) into the air-tube, resulting in leaks (at worst) or gurgling/flooding (at best). Also, top-filling, based on the height of the chimney of the 3.1, will not allow you to put in more than 2.5 to 3.0ml of juice (if I've read other's reviews correctly). Using the side-fill method (through the fill-port) will maintain proper pressure (vacuum) to prevent leaks, as well as allow you to reach a full 4ml (or more) fill of the chamber. :)

When I use my Russians (similar to your Kayfun), I tend to vape a bit more juice daily, than I do with my Kanger tanks. Mostly because of the larger coil-area and better wicking of the RTA's, as compared to the smaller coils/wick surface-area of the Kanger tank's coils. So, using an RTA will "burn" more juice daily than a "tank" with factory coil.

What I've been told to do is cover the bottom holes while I have the top cap open. Tighten down the top cap ALMOST all the way (enough to prevent leakage) then turn upside down and uncover the holes and finish tightening that little bit, and supposedly that reseals the vacuum. Provided I can find my other plastic needle tip bottles, we're going to try one of those today. But what Earthling said makes sense about it not filling completely - I think I'm getting maybe 2 ml - when you top fill. If you lay the tank flat on it's side after filling, you can see through the window that the top half (remember, it's on it's side), give or take, is empty, which is more than it should be. Which explains why I go through a "tank" so quickly.

BTW, I can attest to what Earthling said about top filling being a potential messy operation. Granted, I've only filled it a handful of times, but I've only had ONE fill without some juice coming out somewhere, plus flooding.

Thanks for the link, Comp. I'll have to check it out. Anything to prevent the flooding, which always seems to happen.

Edited by spydre

you chooch up all that vapor in a couple hours? dayum! lol

I will chill on the couch watching some netflix and chooch on mine for a few hours and not burn up that much juice, but I hve had leaks in the past, and you will leak out that much juice without realizing it...when these things leak, they go big and leak 1/2 the tank out!

you chooch up all that vapor in a couple hours? dayum! lol

I will chill on the couch watching some netflix and chooch on mine for a few hours and not burn up that much juice, but I hve had leaks in the past, and you will leak out that much juice without realizing it...when these things leak, they go big and leak 1/2 the tank out!

Pretty sure what Earthling is saying is correct, in the amount of juice I'm actually able to load into it, filling it from the top, just from what I see when I turn it on it's side after I fill it through the clear section. I may not actually be putting much more than an evod's worth into it.

Just to give you an idea on proper-fill-level... here is my freshly-filled Russian 91%. Notice the small bubble of air visible in the glass when laying on it's side? This was actually filled from the bottom, and I fill until the juice disappears above the "window", which leaves this small air-pocket, which is necessary to provide vacuum-pressure to prevent flooding/leaking.

2014-12-11131021_zps20930fb8.jpg

Please excuse the fingerprints, lol

Edited by Earthling789

Woo-hoo! The needle nose bottles are going to work! Now I just have to order two (2) - one of each Kayfun 3.1 clone I'll be using - Cactus Juice and Smurf's Blood. Once I clean out tanks, I can move my Honey Wood out of my Davide into a ProTank (drip tip has gotten waaay too lose, as Davide drip tips start out loose, and vaping from that while walking can be hazardous). So after I do the dishes, I'm sitting down, ordering myself some new coils for the probably one ProTank I'll be using, and the needle nose bottles, so we don't have to run out anywhere. And hopefully, if I fill it correctly, it will stop the gurgling I get after a top fill.