Cloud Chaser PG/VG Ratio

Rixter

What PG/VG ratio do you prefer for creating thick clouds of vapor from your RDA? Feel free to list the specifics of your RDA, type of coil(s), and wicking material as well. :thumbup:

I'm not a cloud chaser, but I get highly satisfying vapor (and flavor) from my Magma, running .7-.8 Ohm dual micro-coil (28ga Kanthal) and organic Japanese cotton. I use juices from 50/50 to 30/70. I've tried higher VG, but just don't like the taste of the glycerine and flavors of the juice just aren't there. My 30/70 juices are fruit-flavors because I can't taste anything else at those VG levels. Best all-around flavor and decent vapor are from my 50/50 juices :)

When I want to do clouds I use as much VG as I can get. I like using my Cinnamon Stick because it is as close to 100% VG as I can get, It really depends on vendor when it comes to juice. You always want the Max VG you can get.

My coil setup is a dual Tiger Coil at .6-.5 using cotton for wicking

My Mech is the Copper Akuma with the ToBH and a VTC 4 battery.

I am not a cloud chaser either, but sitting in the den I can make it impossible for my wife to watch television. (I would never do it on purpose ;-) )

I use a 20PV/80VG 9MG/ML juice. It is so thick that it strings out of the bottle rather than drips.

I have just started using a dual, horizontal, 2.5mm, 28ga twisted, coil on my 454 Big block that runs about .5 ohms. I have it wicked with Rayon. I have it on a 4nine clone with VTC4 Batteries.

I don't know if the twisted wire makes a huge difference in the clouds, but I can tell you the flavor has improved over my regular 26 gauge coils. I really want to try some of Comp's Tiger wire, I hear tiger wire is much better than twisted.

Edited by jasonculp

The Tiger Coil is a twisted wire, but it more for flavor than clouds. It is a twist of round and flat Kanthal. You get great clouds from it, but it also enhances the flavor quite a bit. I'm more of a flavor chaser than a cloud chaser. Cloud chasers like lots of air and high VG. I would rather have med air and more flavor.

The Tiger Coil is a twisted wire, but it more for flavor than clouds. It is a twist of round and flat Kanthal. You get great clouds from it, but it also enhances the flavor quite a bit. I'm more of a flavor chaser than a cloud chaser. Cloud chasers like lots of air and high VG. I would rather have med air and more flavor.

Right. I knew it was, I just have not bought any flat wire yet, and even if I had it, it looks like so much more of a pain in the *** than the regular twisted to make!

I made the dual twisted on a whim the other night. It was super easy. I just chucked an gun cleaning patch holder in the battery powered drill and a c-clamp on the bench and went to town... It was kinda fun.

I am going to have to get me a better build deck, like the Plume Veil. The 454 is getting to be a bigger pain than it is worth to play on. I like the fact it has a 2 positives and 2 negative screw holes. I guess I am getting old and grumpy...

I'm more of a flavor chaser than a cloud chaser. Cloud chasers like lots of air and high VG. I would rather have med air and more flavor.

There must be a way to get thick vapor as well as good flavor...I definitely don't want clouds of bland vapor. Also, I really don't enjoy vaping with coil setups much below 1Ω because the vapor is just too hot past that point for my taste, and I prefer some resistance on the draw versus a wide open, airy pull. IMO, the factory holes on an AGA-T2 or IGO-L (~1mm) are just right for me.

Edited by Rixter

Tiger coils can be up to 1.5 in a dual set or even single. It takes about 13 wraps for per coil for the dual. It just depends on the wire used for the twist. If you want higher resistance use 30g round and .5 flat for the twist. You will get a good cloud and good flavor. The Tiger coil is the best of both IMO. If you are using 28g round and .9 flat you can still get a 1ohm single coil with around 11-12 wraps.

I am going to have to get me a better build deck, like the Plume Veil. The 454 is getting to be a bigger pain than it is worth to play on. I like the fact it has a 2 positives and 2 negative screw holes. I guess I am getting old and grumpy...

photo_6_1024x1024.JPG?v=1404434836

I'm waiting on my Infinite CLT (V1) to arrive in Monday's mail. It looks like it's going to be super easy to build on.

I'm not a cloud chaser, but I get highly satisfying vapor (and flavor) from my Magma, running .7-.8 Ohm dual micro-coil (28ga Kanthal) and organic Japanese cotton. I use juices from 50/50 to 30/70. I've tried higher VG, but just don't like the taste of the glycerine and flavors of the juice just aren't there. My 30/70 juices are fruit-flavors because I can't taste anything else at those VG levels. Best all-around flavor and decent vapor are from my 50/50 juices :)

How funny! You and I run the same set up on the same RDA. I'm with you on the 50/50 mix. If I go more than 40/60, it starts to taste like I'm sucking on a glycerine bar. Bleh. :)

I'm waiting on my Infinite CLT (V1) to arrive in Monday's mail. It looks like it's going to be super easy to build on.

That does look good! I really have not looked at that one. I did a seach and found a lot of V2 it looks easy too.

How funny! You and I run the same set up on the same RDA. I'm with you on the 50/50 mix. If I go more than 40/60, it starts to taste like I'm sucking on a glycerine bar. Bleh. :)

It is strange how those little flavors come out with different setups. I really love my ADV flavors, but I can't stand them in a dripper. I have tried my high VG blends in my tanks and they are tasteless.

I've been using 80PG/20VG for years in cartos, carto tanks, and Genesis-style RBAs because it wicks really well, produces good vapor, and carries flavor better than mixes with higher VG content. Since I started adding RDAs to the arsenal however, I've noticed a decrease in visible vapor production.

Edited by Rixter

It is strange how those little flavors come out with different setups. I really love my ADV flavors, but I can't stand them in a dripper. I have tried my high VG blends in my tanks and they are tasteless.

My beloved ADV (Feels Like a Nut) only tastes "right" to me in my HH.357s. Even in an RDA, it just doesn't taste the same. My RDAs I vape other bakery flavors. My tanks run the fruit flavors for best-for-me performance and taste. It really is funny how different delivery set ups give off different flavors. :)

My beloved ADV (Feels Like a Nut) only tastes "right" to me in my HH.357s. Even in an RDA, it just doesn't taste the same. My RDAs I vape other bakery flavors. My tanks run the fruit flavors for best-for-me performance and taste. It really is funny how different delivery set ups give off different flavors. :)

This makes total sense. My ADV which is a fruit/drink flavor, only works in tanks for me. I like coffee and creamy flavors in the dripper.

Edited by jasonculp

• 3 years later...

I use a 100 VG base, I have to use a bit more flavoring and liquid sugar. On my diamond and Goon 1.5 or my Peerless .32 ohm 75-85 wats I get thick cloud production and great flavor no matter what my build is as long as I stay between .6 - .032 ohms