Charger specs for IPV3?

TAP

anyone know the specs for charging IPV3 using the box as the charger? supposedly it supposed to be able to do this and has a charging input plug, but does not come with a charger..(stupid)

I have a variable car charger that has changeable plugs, one of them fits. was wondering if it will safely work to charge my IPV3

here is the specs for the charging output...

3-12 volts DC/2000 mA

has 3V & 4.5V & 6V & 9V & 12V settings

If you have the 150W IPV3 that takes two 18650 batteries, there is no charging of the device via USB. The USB is for upgrading the chip-set ROM.

*There is no charging function on this version of the iPV3* (extracted from the spec sheet)

Yours may be different, but I would consult the spec sheet or instruction manual for your specific model to be certain. Given that there are two batteries, it will depend on how the circuitry are arranged, as to if you require 5V or 9V, but I would guess the minimum Amps for safety would be 1.0-1.2A, regardless? (your VV charger is 2.0A, which would work - Amps are drawn not pushed)

Edited by Earthling789

it does not charge from the USB, there is a separate charging port. but does not come with the charging cord...(sold separately)

Ahh.. Okay, for that version (with separate charging port), the spec is a type-H connector, and I just read in a few comments... people were saying specs were 9V, type-H, @ 1.2A... but you know where that info came from (even though everything on the Internet is true :P)

I saw nothing in the spec sheet for that model which said input Voltage or Amp requirements... sorry :(

The onboard charging will charge 1 battery more then the other. I bought the charger and then put the charged batteries in a efest to find 1 at 4.2 and yhe other at 4.1.

Actually, it's not uncommon for two identical batteries, charged in the same charger, to read a different "charged" voltage, minutes after they are removed from the charger. Check them with a multi-meter 2-4 hours after charging and you'll see a truer reading of their charge level.

Discrepancies between battery charge peak has more to do with the battery than the charger. As batteries age, or have a slightly different % of chemical make-up between the two, they will charge differently, to different levels, and discharge differently. Does it mean your battery showing 4.1V is bad? No, it could simply mean your meter is reading/rounding them differently, and actual peak voltage is 4.15 and 4.14, and it is even possible that the battery reading lower will have a higher mAh charge-capacity (last longer).

The on-board charger is likely charging in parallel (since they discharge in parallel), which is the simplest/cheapest way to charge/discharge them. I've never seen the on-board charger of the IPV3, but I would suspect this is the set-up for cost-effectiveness...

Reading the Voltage of a battery, hours after charging, will give you a far better picture of it's health. A battery at the end of it's life-cycle may show 4.1V as soon as it comes off the charger, but 3 or 4 hours later, it may only show 3.6V, or something else, which is far below the fully-charged level.

Edited by Earthling789

The onboard charging will charge 1 battery more then the other. I bought the charger and then put the charged batteries in a efest to find 1 at 4.2 and yhe other at 4.1.

Sounds quite acceptable to me. Don't you have a real multimeter? When rounding down to tenths as you did the real voltage could very well be 4.14V or 4.1 in tenths, and 4.15V or 4.2 in tenths.

I also don't know why folks keep on talking about 9V 'chargers'. Tenergy (and others) has been selling 2 wire chargers for their various 7.4V (8.4V) two cell series packs for years. These chargers, rather than being simple 9V power supplies output 8.4V and will cut off when the pack reaches 8.4V.

A few examples:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/220800935948?lpid=82

They do talk about the packs having a PCB to help prevent over charging, but note:

Over Charge Detection Voltage

4.35 ± 0.025V

Maybe not a perfect solution, a 3wire balance charger would be better, but these 2 wire chargers have been sold and used for many years.

I also scoff at Green's assertion the Sonys should be used. A few Sony 18650s in action.

Sony-Vaio-Laptop-Catches-Fire-2.jpg

Sony%20Vaio.jpg

sonyfire.jpg

laptop-fire-350jc042707.jpg