Rda wicking help?

cschmall

I have just recently gotten into rebuildables, and I have yet to figure out how to get the cotton to wick correctly.. it's not in the coil too tight, it has plenty of cotton, I'm at a loss. The ends are saturated, but I continuously get dry hits, and it seems to be saturated just outside of the coil as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's a trident clone rda, with a single coil around 8 ohms using 28g kanthal.

Also, why would the cotton be turning a little brown at the ends?

Also, sorry for posting this here, the correct section is not showing up for me on my phone for some reason. 5dc395ae610009fb547c620d21609708.jpg

Edited by cschmall

...with a single coil around 8 ohms...

I am assuming the 8 ohms is a typo?

It tools like too much wick to me, but here is the test I use.

When the dry wick is put into the coil, it should be easy to slide the wick back and forth by about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch without it tugging on the RDA.

Have you fired the coil while watching it?

Could be uneven heating, hot spots? It does look like too much cotton too. It might be trying to wick away from the coil. You don't have much cotton on the other side of the coil.

First off did you make sure the coil is firing from the inside out? If not you might have a dead leg somewhere give it a squeeze with some pliers and that should take care of that if its an issue.Second I always unravel the cotton ball until you can see through it cut a small piece about 2 inches and like Copper was saying it should be easy to twist in and out of the coil,the cotton will expand when you saturate it.make sure your coil isn't touching the deck or outer barrel.I always soak my cotton with juice and let it sit for about 30 min just to make sure its all juiced up.Just play with different coils and wicking techniques, it took me a long time to figure out what works best for me.