Questions about dripping...

Hello all!

I've been vaping for around a year now, and I've gone through several different phases. I started with a simple eGo-T battery and refillable clearomizers. After a while, and through some more research, I switched to something a bit better. I got a Vamo V5 (mod?) with an Aerotank V2. Loved it. Unfortunately though, after a few months of use, the Vamo has broken. That's fine, as I've been doing more research and getting ready to upgrade. The thing is, I found this whole new area of vaping that I wasn't familiar with...dripping. I suppose rebuildable units might be the appropriate term? Either way, I'm very interested in dripping. I don't understand much about it, but I think I've gotten the basics from a few videos. I get that with dripping, there is no tank or refillable cartridge to use, but rather, you directly apply juices to the atomizer, usually dripping more every few drags or as needed.

Sooo here are my questions.

What more do I need to know about dripping to get started?

What are some good units to use for dripping?

I've never actually made my own atomizer or coils, but in a video I saw a guy threading some wire through some positive/negative poles, and then lining the area with cotton to absorb the juices and drip and what not. So, what's up with that? Do all dripping units require you to make your own coils?

Finally, what's the maintenance like on these beasts?

If I get any replies, I'll probably have more questions XD.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and answer my newb questions!

If I misunderstood some things above, feel free to correct me or add to it as needed. Thanks again!

-Lord Agony

Welcome, so the basics go something like this....

With an RDA (rebuildable dripping atomizer) you will need to wrap your own coils and install and wick (place cotton typicaly) through and around them in some way to allow the liquid to absorb. You will need something to check the resistance (Ohms) of the coils you build are, as well as an understanding of the limits of the device/batteries you use to run it. Simple Ohms calculators are free and easy on android phones.

Without knowing what device you plan on useing in the future, or your liquid spec (nic, pg/vg etc..) I can only say that while useing RDA's it's common to reduce the nic level to 3 or 6mg even if you use 12+ in tanks.

Others will likely chime in with more info, but please be sure all your questions are answered in some way before you start on that path. It's more about education than it is difficult. Good luck to you!

Welcome, so the basics go something like this....

With an RDA (rebuildable dripping atomizer) you will need to wrap your own coils and install and wick (place cotton typicaly) through and around them in some way to allow the liquid to absorb. You will need something to check the resistance (Ohms) of the coils you build are, as well as an understanding of the limits of the device/batteries you use to run it. Simple Ohms calculators are free and easy on android phones.

Without knowing what device you plan on useing in the future, or your liquid spec (nic, pg/vg etc..) I can only say that while useing RDA's it's common to reduce the nic level to 3 or 6mg even if you use 12+ in tanks.

Others will likely chime in with more info, but please be sure all your questions are answered in some way before you start on that path. It's more about education than it is difficult. Good luck to you!

Thanks for the reply! Great pic btw. I can tell I need to do a lot more research before I commit to getting a RDA, so I'll keep browsing forums and checking back here for replies. I'm glad I found a community like this that can help educate me... I don't want to make any stupid mistakes xD.

Research, research, research... the only way to avoid catastrophic mistakes :)

My best advice for new RDA/RBA/RTA users:

Buy a good ohm meter... and USE it!

Start slow by learning to build higher-ohm coils (1.4 - 2.5 Ohm) FIRST

Use juices from 0mg to 6mg nicotine with any dripper

Once you learn to build, and want to sub-ohm, learn Ohm's Law or keep a good Voltage/Wattage/Resistance chart handy

USE QUALITY EQUIPMENT, regardless!

Research, research, research... the only way to avoid catastrophic mistakes :)

My best advice for new RDA/RBA/RTA users:

Buy a good ohm meter... and USE it!

Start slow by learning to build higher-ohm coils (1.4 - 2.5 Ohm) FIRST

Use juices from 0mg to 6mg nicotine with any dripper

Once you learn to build, and want to sub-ohm, learn Ohm's Law or keep a good Voltage/Wattage/Resistance chart handy

USE QUALITY EQUIPMENT, regardless!

Earthling gives great advice. To add to his list is:

Before you sub-ohm, make sure your battery is rated 30A or better to make sure it can handle the draw.

Safety first. :)

If you're getting into RDAs and building your own coils, I highly recommend picking up a coil winding jig. They're simple to use and they're cheap at around $4. It makes life a lot easier than winding around a mini screwdriver or drill bit.

Another thing to know is that there is a huge variety of RDAs on the market. While they all appear similar, they are often radically different and each has its benefits, disadvantage, and sometimes flaws. Some are designed specifically for cloud chasing while others are designed for the flavor junkies.

When starting out, many find it attractive to buy a clone so you can experiment without breaking the bank. But be careful, the same RDA can be cloned by a number of different companies; some good, some not so good.

If you have a local B&M, you might find it helpful to do some window shopping and get an idea of the wide variety of designs and styles. In particular, you may want to pay particular attention to adjustable air flow, depth of the juice well, and convenience and layout of the build deck.

Once you have done your research and have some idea of where you are headed, come back for some more concrete advice before spending your hard-earned dollars.

HTH

Edited by copper

There are pre-built/wrapped coils available for sale if don't want to build your own. The price is not bad for 50 pieces at around $3.00 at fastech. The lowest ohm they sell is 1.5 ohms.

I think it's great option for people who don't want to build or can't for whatever reason.

Wow! So many replies only a day after I posted some questions! This community is awesome :). I'd like to thank everyone that's taken the time to give me advice, I've found each and every bit important. So far, I've gotten a good ohms reader, and I've been reading about Ohm's law and checking Wattage charts, etc. I'm beginning to understand a lot more about wrapping your own coils, and using wick and what not. I'll definitely check out that video some time, I just don't have the 45ish mins to spare right now. I've also checked out some clones, but I'm not ready to make the purchase just yet, I still want to finish researching, and of course, find a reputable dealer for clones. You all make it really easy to learn :).

Ok, I've got another question for anyone who can answer. This is pretty big, but I don't know a whole lot about the different types of batteries and what i want for what im using xD. Ok, so I just got a SMOKTech SID from a friend, it doesn't have a battery but i need to get one. It uses 18650... but which batteries are good for it?

It's okay as long as you don't plan to sub-ohm with it. For an every day battery for a tank, it should work just fine. Personally, if I'm using an APV with a tank, I like the Panasonic 1860 3400 mAh. In my mech mods and sub-ohm coils, I only use Sony VTC4 or VTC5. These can handle the draw that sub-ohm coils demand. :)

Alright, so I've finally done it! First, I'd like to thank everyone for their help in educating me. I've read all of these posts, watched linked videos, etc. and I finally got my first mechanical! I bought a Panzer by MCV Phillippines, and a Mutation X RBA. Built myself a single coil, used some japanese cotton, and I made sure to triple check my battery specs, and the ohms from the coil. It works like a dream, and the flavor is incredible! You guys rock, thanks Vapor Talk!

• 2 months later...