Vaping and Deer Hunting

Ok deer season is almost here and I have been wondering about something. I hunt a ground blind not a treestand because of where I am and the fact my 9 year old goes with me a lot and have been wondering about the smell of my vapor. Deer have long been known to be attracted to Vanilla so I am considering getting a Vanilla flavor but for now while I am scouting I am using my wifes 24mg Peppermint which smells a lot less than the only flavor I vape. Everyone comments on how they love the smell of my vapor, well except my wife haha, but I am thinking it is too strong to be vaping while hunting. It has a very strong distinct sweet smell.

Comp, what kind of Vanilla you have? I do not particularly like the taste of vanilla in a vape but when hunting its not about the taste as much as the smell and getting the nicotine I want so I am not jonesing for a vape.

Anyone else vape and deer hunt at the same time and if so what do you do if anything to control the smell?

Edited by bcartervol98

I hunt but I'm on private land so we usually are only in the blind for an hour or two before we head back to the camp for a refill (whiskey). Similar don't vape when in the blind; but I do only bring vanilla cheesecake up to the camp for those weekends and it's never given me an issue.

Not sure if your vendor has one. But I would always order cheesecakes and request vanilla added to it.

Not the best vape in the whole wide world but gets the job done and doesn't scare away the bucks.

That is an interesting issue and would like to help B. I have french vanilla and of course Deer like apples too... Wonder if a Vanilla Apple would be a good choice.The apple I use for the apple cider has the sent of the apples used in cider more like what deer would find on the ground and what is used to make cider.

I'm heading out to the blind this evening, and plan to be vaping a mixture of apple/vanilla/black-cherry... It smells wonderful (to me), so I'm hoping the deer will find it appealing as well.

On a side-note, I've shot deer from less than 20-yd away (from a tree-stand, with bow), and a cigar still in my mouth or left-hand! Honestly, the deer here, during the rut, are far less spooked by human smells. A couple years ago, I had a yearling doe walk right up to my blind and stick her head in the front window! Scared the PEE out of me... AND HER :D

I'm heading out to the blind this evening, and plan to be vaping a mixture of apple/vanilla/black-cherry... It smells wonderful (to me), so I'm hoping the deer will find it appealing as well.

On a side-note, I've shot deer from less than 20-yd away (from a tree-stand, with bow), and a cigar still in my mouth or left-hand! Honestly, the deer here, during the rut, are far less spooked by human smells. A couple years ago, I had a yearling doe walk right up to my blind and stick her head in the front window! Scared the PEE out of me... AND HER :D

LOL yea I hope thats the case. My biggest bodied deer, only a 9 point but dressed 205lbs, was shot just after I had lit a cigarette. I know during the rut they are running and chasing but I got to thinking about all the scents we use to attract and cover our human odor and got to thinking about a liquid that would not only not spook them but instead make them curious enough to check it out.

This will be my first year ever hunting public land and hunting a blind so I have some learning to do. My son will go with me most of the time so that takes out the climbing stand usage unless it is on one of the few days I am alone. I bought an Ameristep Doghouse blind for us to use and marked an amazing spot but then again it IS public land and I may get into the woods and have 10 other hunters in sight. I hope not it is a pretty concealed spot but close to an access road but who knows. I plan to be in my blind set up an hour before the sun comes up to stake my claim to the spot.

Going to Gander Mtn tonight and am getting the rest of the stuff I need. After 12 years not hunting a single time I am having to stock up from the ground up and tonight will finish that off. I just cannot decide if I am going to buy the Summit Titan Climber or not, I may just blind hunt this year or post up on ridges. Coming from the Mississippi River bottoms I am amazed how many people successfully hunt deer here in the mountains without a blind or a stand and just walk the ridges looking down into the valleys for a shot. Back home it is so flat that is unheard of and if you are not in a blind or in a stand you most likely will not see anything bigger than a squirrel lol.

Edited by bcartervol98

That is an interesting issue and would like to help B. I have french vanilla and of course Deer like apples too... Wonder if a Vanilla Apple would be a good choice.The apple I use for the apple cider has the sent of the apples used in cider more like what deer would find on the ground and what is used to make cider.

I am intrigued about the combo of Apple and Vanilla. I know Vanilla to be a deer attractant. My grandfather and uncles never go into the woods without dabbing a little vanilla extract on their clothes and boots.

I hunt the mountains and river-bottoms here in eastern KY, and I can tell you I've shot far more deer from a stationary position (sitting on a stool, stump, or leaning against a tree/rock overlooking a creek or valley), than I have from a stand or blind... probably 2:1 ratio?

If you're hunting public land, a climber is a necessity since you can't leave a stand unattended, and the Summit is a really good (and economical choice - I have two of them). But, in the woods/mountains, finding a good (and concealed) spot with a good view is just as good - like a stump/rock with a good amount of foliage behind it. Hunting a blind is really good with kids because it conceals movement, but not noise. One thing I always did with my kids was to bring along their game-boy or MP3 with headphones... because sitting and staring at the trees for hours on end can get boring for even the teenagers!

I've always had good luck with those "leaf-looking" scents that you hang from tree limbs. Vanilla, apple, and doe-in-heat scents seem to work best for drawing them up-wind... so vaping an apple or vanilla flavor might work to your advantage :)

I was concerned about the light coming from the electronic devices but it may be the lesser of two evils. I know if I do not let my son have something to do when it is slow he will be fidgety and loud. I can probably get an hour-hour and a half out of him before he is asking when we can go home so bringing the IPad or Kindle might be a good idea.

Yea man it is foreign hunting here. Thing is in West Tennessee everything is flat so unless you just have a deer run over you there is a good chance you will only be able to see 25-30 yards sitting on the ground. I bought these super lightweight comfy as hell chairs for the blind that are Real Tree so I bet they would work just nestling up to a tree on a ridge. Thing is with all the ridges and such I have been wondering if climbing up the side of a ridge and setting up like you said would be better than having to hear the wife complain about me spending another 300 on a climber after spending over $1500 on blind, guns, clothes and such.

I am looking hardcore for a lease and I will build blinds and put up static stands when I find the right one but this year I will be hunting the Tennessee portion of Big South Fork and have a few really nice spots scouted out. I am so looking forward to opening morning for gun season (22nd in TN) but am not sure if I will hunt opening day or the day after. I am "obligated" to attend a function in a luxury box for the UT-Missouri football game and the gametime will not be announced till Monday. If its a night game I will hunt opening morning. If it is a noon or 3:30 game I will hunt Sunday the 23rd for the first time. If I go the morning before a night game I will probably leave the boy at home since I have to get up about 3:30 to get to my spot and set up before daylight and the masses arrive pushing deer around when they go into the woods. A night game lasts till 11pm and I am pretty sure he would be dead to the world before then if I get him up to leave the house by 4am. Its an hour and a half drive from my driveway to where I enter the woods.

I have a feeling Big South Fork is very much like the area you hunt, any other tips or advice Earthling?

Edited by bcartervol98

Yes, Big South Fork is a LOT like the areas I hunt up here... So, finding a place on a ridge is sometimes more advantageous than up a tree :) At least on a ridge, you don't have to spend hours looking for that perfect diameter, straight, limbless tree for your climber!

I tend to carry one of those camo heat-seats attached to my backpack, so I can sit anywhere and be off the ground (and dry). Finding an area with small trees, ferns, holly-bushes, etc. where you can pocket yourself into them is excellent concealment on a ridge or rise, especially if you can overlook a travel-route or creek.

One thing I can say about hunting public land is that most hunters will be "early-birds" (3-4am)... So, your best hunting will be first light, as the late-arrivals are moving deer. 90% of the early-birds will head home well before Noon, so deer will begin to move again around 11am to 2pm-ish... and I've taken more deer on public land between Noon and 4pm than any other time of day... second most successful time of day is just before dark, at least on public land... Private land is a different story... most any time of day is good, but I still prefer afternoons and evenings during rifle season.

I've taken all my kids hunting, and my boys were the most fidgety and complained the most about being bored, hungry, "can we go home", "it's too early", "I'm cold", etc. My daughter could sit for hours (hot, cold, wind, rain, snow...) and not move, and rarely complained... except that one time we sat in the rain for several hours... we got back to the truck and she could wring buckets of water out of her socks (and she was wearing waterproof boots)! That was the only time she gave up before dark....

So, when taking youth with you... I'd suggest you arrive around Noon-ish (after you've filled them up with some fast-food, lol). They'll see more, be quieter, be warmer, and will have a much better time with dad. I always hit McDonald's or Wendy's along the way and we were set-up in the woods in the late-morning or early-afternoon, usually in a blind or on the ground along a protected ridge. Even if we didn't see or bag a deer, we had a good time eating out and spending time with each other in the woods!

Awesome info man! Yea I thought about the deer being moved by people entering the woods. I hunt in a more remote "Station Camp" area where there are a lot of horse trails and the deer use these trails too. There are not as many deer there as are on the ridges around "Bandy Creek" but also not as many hunters and the deer seem to be bigger. The smarter older deer know there is less pressure there and that coupled with the number of people that horseback ride there make the deer a little more used to people.

I think I am going to skip the climber and use that money for other stuff I need this year at least. Would suck to invest the money and get on a good lease next year with blinds and shooting houses over salt licks and food plots and not use the climber much.

I really appreciate the help. Its so much different here. Back in West TN where I am from you hunted from sunrise till about 9:30 or 10 then came back in about 3 and hunted till dark BUT I was hunting edges of woods around farm fields and-or pasture and I would get them coming out to feed or heading in to their beds for the day. I literally have never hunted public land so I know it will be different in more ways than just the terrain. The advice you have given me makes my mind ease about all the stuff I need and timing. I would have thought missing the morning would be an end to the day but what you said makes sense. Not only that when I am roaming ridges I can scout for different blind spots too!

Edited by bcartervol98

I asked basically the same last year around this time, but never really got much of an answer.

I vape in my stand or blind and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference as to the scent alerting the deer to my presence, but I do try to hold the vapor in a little longer than usual to cut down on making a cloud.

I sat up last night, ~ 2-hr before last-light. I purposely set-up on the up-wind side of the old corn field (on private land). I was vaping fairly steady the whole time from my tree-stand. The mixture was 3:1:1 Vanilla/Sweet-Apple/Black-Cherry (60/40 mix), and my hardware was an AeroTank with 1.5 Ohm BDC on MVP 2.0 @ 9W.

Within an hour, just before last shooting-light, I saw three doe (two were yearlings) enter the field, about 50-60 yds away, and all of them were sniffing/moving, up-wind, in my direction. I was holding out for something larger, hoping a buck was trailing them, so I let all three walk on by. They passed within 20-yds (bow-range) of my tree-stand :)

So, from what I saw last night... vaping may have not have been the cause of bringing them in, but it surely didn't discourage them. Worst-case, it simply helped mask my scent... best-case, it drew them in, looking for a meal? And, no... no buck followed them :(

Ok deer season is almost here and I have been wondering about something. I hunt a ground blind not a treestand because of where I am and the fact my 9 year old goes with me a lot and have been wondering about the smell of my vapor. Deer have long been known to be attracted to Vanilla so I am considering getting a Vanilla flavor but for now while I am scouting I am using my wifes 24mg Peppermint which smells a lot less than the only flavor I vape. Everyone comments on how they love the smell of my vapor, well except my wife haha, but I am thinking it is too strong to be vaping while hunting. It has a very strong distinct sweet smell.

Comp, what kind of Vanilla you have? I do not particularly like the taste of vanilla in a vape but when hunting its not about the taste as much as the smell and getting the nicotine I want so I am not jonesing for a vape.

Anyone else vape and deer hunt at the same time and if so what do you do if anything to control the smell?

Deers are super sensitive to all smells, I would think vaping would be a give away

Deers are super sensitive to all smells, I would think vaping would be a give away

I killed my biggest deer to date (9 point dressed 205 scored 135 1/2) with a cigarette in my mouth. Deer are sensitive to household smells but not a lot of others. Its like the myth that human urine repels deer. I have watched deer walk up to the base of my tree stand and sniff the wet spot I just created. Its also a widely believed fact that vanilla and apple scents attract deer so I figured I might as well have a vape that has that sort of scent.

I am careful to make sure my clothes are washed in scent killer, I bathe with scent killer soap and shampoo before a hunt and I always spray down my boots before entering the woods. As far as attractants you can buy all the estrous and stuff like that you want. Take a cotton ball and soak it in vanilla extract then set up a trail cam and watch them come in and smell it. Its amazing.

Well modern-rifle season is over here... muzzle-loader starts in early December, but I've maxed out my rifle limit :(

Before the weather went "arctic" on me, I saw plenty of deer... mostly young, but they were out there... I vaped the entire time I was hunting, not chain-vape, but still hit the tank quite often. I can't say it truly helped, but it didn't hurt either! Both doe I bagged were 170+ and were taken in the evening. (saw very few in the mornings).

Control the human/household scent-factor, and I'm pretty sure you'll not have problems seeing deer in the area you'll be hunting... Like you, I've killed deer with a lit cigarette/cigar in my mouth or in my off-hand more than once, so we both know most deer are not spooked by most "odd" smells... but they are very wary of household smells, and their UV vision is quite good too... which is one reason I wash all my hunting clothes in scent-killer with UV barrier... I've also been known to "roll around" in the grass and leaves around the areas I hunt, to further pick-up the local smell :)

Well modern-rifle season is over here... muzzle-loader starts in early December, but I've maxed out my rifle limit :(

Before the weather went "arctic" on me, I saw plenty of deer... mostly young, but they were out there... I vaped the entire time I was hunting, not chain-vape, but still hit the tank quite often. I can't say it truly helped, but it didn't hurt either! Both doe I bagged were 170+ and were taken in the evening. (saw very few in the mornings).

Control the human/household scent-factor, and I'm pretty sure you'll not have problems seeing deer in the area you'll be hunting... Like you, I've killed deer with a lit cigarette/cigar in my mouth or in my off-hand more than once, so we both know most deer are not spooked by most "odd" smells... but they are very wary of household smells, and their UV vision is quite good too... which is one reason I wash all my hunting clothes in scent-killer with UV barrier... I've also been known to "roll around" in the grass and leaves around the areas I hunt, to further pick-up the local smell :)

I also have a rubbermaid tub I fill with dirt and leaves from my hunting area and store my hunting gear in there all year except the one time it gets washed (barring falling into a mud hole lol). I also use UV reductiion stuff on my blind and clothes.

Does at 170? WOW I won a Weatherby 270 Mag in a big buck contest in 1995 with one that dressed 205lbs, still the highest weight to come from the county I used to hunt to date. Around here a 165lb buck is HUGE and the biggest doe I have ever seen weighed around 130-140 dressed. I also find evenings more productive or at least always have but that may be because I hunt more evenings. With a 2 hour drive to my spot and another half mile walk I have to leave the house by 3:30 to be in my blind and settled at first light and that is just hard for me to accomplish. I LOVE to be in the woods around lunch when the others are coming out for lunch. I have killed my better deer between 11 and 2.