New vaper

vrtigo1

Hi All, I am new to vaping. One of my coworkers has been a smoker his entire life and used vaping to greatly reduce the amount he smokes and mentioned it to me since I am a former smoker that switched to dipping (smokeless tobacco) when my son was born about 4 years ago so he wouldn't be exposed to second hand smoke.

I have only been vaping for about a week but in that time I have not dipped at all and have only had a few cravings.

One of the things I was and still am a little unsure of is how to directly compare my nicotine intake (dipping vs vaping). My goal is to eventually get down to very little or no nicotine so I don't want to overdo it with nicotine and get myself further addicted. The shop I bought my stuff from recommended 18mg eliquid which seemed high to me but I guess that is about right for someone that dips since the nicotine level in dip is pretty high, especially for someone like me who dipped all day and didn't spit.

I asked the folks at the shop about the nic levels and if vaping x amount of 12mg juice is the same as vaping 2x of 6mg juice. They said it doesn't really work that way, but I didn't really understand why it wouldn't, so would appreciate it if someone could weigh in on that.

Also, since I don't really know many other vapers I don't have a good point of reference and was wondering how much vaping is "normal". I have been vaping about 3-4 ml of 12mg juice, maybe a little more if I go out to a bar on the weekend. I work in an office so while I'm at work I'll take a drag maybe every 20 mins or so and when I'm at home at night doing work or just browsing online I'll chain vape taking a drag every couple minutes . Is that pretty normal?

I'm not up on all the vaping equipment jargon yet but I bought a vision spinner 2 and am using it with a clearomizer. It's what the shop recommended as a good middle of the road starting point and it seems to work pretty well so far. There have been a few times where I wished I could get more vapor / stronger throat hit but I think part of that is also just finding a juice that I like. I have been vaping some random (i.e. noname) green apple eliquid and just picked up some unicorn milk today and other than the price point I like it so far.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

First off... Welcome V|T :)

The reason the Nicotine doesn't act the way you asked is more in how the body absorbs it. You will absorb more of the nicotine at say 18mg and feel the craving ease. At 6mg you can vape on it all day and not feel the craving ease because your not absorbing the same amount of nicotine per draw.

If 18mg is getting you past the cravings stick with it for a while and gradually drop down. Some people find themselfs at -0- nicotine and then dropping vaping all together. Some people stay at a high nicotine and just vape. It is all a personal choice.

Chain vaping is normal when you first start. The nice thing about vaping is you are not locked in to smoking the full analog once you light it. You take a draw or two and kill the craving. If you find yourself chain vaping a lot all the time, then maybe that is the time for either a higher nicotine, or just chain vape. There is the hand to mouth habit that most smokers have and the more stressed or bored you are the more you would smoke, it is the same with vaping. I find myself chain vaping at the computer or any time I don't have my hands and mind busy.

You have a sold start with your setup now is the time to find that e-liquid that is your all day vape or ADV. That can be elusive at first as your taste will change over time. I personally like a heavy spice vape. Others go for fruity or more of a complex flavor. Taste is very subjective and what works for one may or may not work for another. I always suggest buying sample sizes till you find a keeper then try a larger bottle. Sometimes it is good in the sample, then, you find after 10 15mls it is not what you wanted.

Even though, technically, vaping 2 x 6mg is the same amount of nicotine as 1/2 the amount in 12mg, comp is right. You have to vape twice as much over a longer period of time to get that nicotine and if you've been dipping and not spitting I would venture to say you should start at 24mg and I wouldn't even worry about getting too much until you notice that it's too much. You'll be able to tell. Minimally I would go with 18mg but it sounds like you're a candidate for 24mg IMO.

What Comp and Bebop said. :)

I have juices in 24 mg (or 2.4%) all the way down to 0 nic. It's what I feel like at the time or how much I can vape. If I'm at home I'll go to 12 or 6 mg nic. If I'm in a high stress situation and can't vape very much I 'll with the 24 mg so I can take a couple of draws to satisfy the craving.

Welcome to Vapor Talk. :)

Edited by Tameiki

I'm new to vaping myself. I started out with a bunch of 0, 3, and 6 mg juices (freebies from an expo). They weren't working for me at all. I kept going back to analogs (cigarettes). I bumped up to 18 and 24 mg, and have been analog free for a couple of weeks now. Its so much better now. No, I probably won't try to lower the nicotine level for awhile, no rush.

So, welcome, keep asking any and all your questions. People here are friendly, and pretty fast with the info. Jump right in.

Michelle

Thanks all for your comments. The first liquid I bought was 18mg and I wasn't sure if I was feeling strange because I was getting too much nicotine or not enough. I switched to 12mg liquid and for the past few days that has been working fine. Normally if I don't have enough nicotine I get cranky and I haven't had any of that. So I guess 18mg was more than what I needed, which seems strange given other peoples comments, but I guess whatever works, works.

exactly, whatever works, works. :) We all have learned/ and are learning, that each of us is different, so we each tinker with all the variables to figure out what keeps us away from smoking. Take it day by day, moment by moment, and thats all we can do. :)

You are chewing not smoking that makes a difference. I can only base my thoughts on smoking because that is what I'm most familiar with.. :) Absolutely if your good with 12 than that is what you want to stick with. If you are getting an overdose of nicotine you will feel dizzy and sick to your stomach and our heart with also beat faster. If you are getting NIC Sick on 18 then yes it is best to back down to a lower nic content as you have done.

you said it " whatever works works"!!!

vaping is such an individualistic hobby or whatnot. at first its all about finding what works for you. higher nic or lower , the voltage that gives you the draw you like(since youre using a spinner you can adjust it)

I too started with some generic flavors from this random shop that only had no name liquids and a few starter kits. when i got into better juice which cost me the same from an actual vape shop, the whole world changed!

like they said before, your taste budds will be changing so dont get frusterated when a juice you LOVE turns into something youre not too fond of. it might come back or it might not but the best thing is tht there is sooooo much variety that with a little trial and error you will definately find something you love!

welcome to VT and dont be shy to post and ask anything! its a great bunch and there is no such thing as a stupid question here.

if ever youre too shy to publicaly asks omething you can PM me and although im not a pro, i have had a bit of experience with my own extensve trial and error. even now I dont feel fully satisfied and im still looking for my unicorn.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, I'm in about the same boat as you, I dipped for about five years, and when I quit I was dipping about a can of grizzly a day. It has been about two weeks now since my last dip and I'm on a 24mg juice. But I do still get cravings like crazy sometimes, and the best solution I can say for those is look at some dip alternatives. I'm a huge fan of Cowboy Coffee Chew and some regular long leaf tea. If you aren't a coffee guy then check out smoky mountian snuff (nicotine free substitute), because I don't know about you but half the addiction to dip for me is just the thing in your mouth. Hope this helps a bit, and keep it up man!

Your nicotine absorption can be effected by your equipment too. I quit smoking almost 2 years ago and have been vaping ever since. I started with 24mg strength and a DSE901. When I switched to an Ego style (and later an Innokin SVD and Smoktech SID) and a CE4/5/6 style tank, I was able to drop down immediately to 18mg with no ill effects. I've since upgraded to mechanical mods and rebuildable tanks and drippingg atomizers. With an RBA Kayfun Lite I was able to immediately drop down to 12mg with no cravings for more. With the RDA Patriot dripper 0.4 ohm dual coils, I'm just about ready to drop down to 6mg.

If you are experiencing cravings at relatively high strengths, you might look at upgrading your gear.

Edited by Synther