clear coating copper or brass

christov11

well the title says it.. and yes i know this has been covered before but the lack of detail in the posts i searched left me hungry enough to start a new one!

SOOOO

My brass cartel is slowly starting to look like a turd, im going to be shinning it up with a jewlers cloth hoping that will give it a second life. if not what can I soak it in to really get it golden & brand new?

Secondly. i will be getting a copper mod. its in a box somewhere around the world. I was looking to clear coat it from the start to really keep the brand new look. or painting it white and keeping a couple areas copper... anyways thats all in my mind but it will eventually be cleared.

Point being. what clear coat would work best? I was thinking of getting the same kind that one would use to paitn and then clear coat car rims? or even heat resistant ones for brake pads? im guessing that stuff is ++++ durable right?

If any of you have done this before either on wheels or on mods, could you please tell me your story and what products youve used. good or bad experience, since obviously im going to avoid something thats going to leave my hands dirty for days haha

p.s. for soaking a mod to clean it, i woudl appreciate most details possible... like what to soak it in is great but for how long would be very appreciated too! rinsing it after or not? etc.

p.s.s. you guys are awesome, but you already knew that!

Edited by christov11

Copper-brite is a copper specific cleaner with a protective additive built-in. Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish is great for cleaning just about any metal surface, too.

I use to clear-coat the brass handle of my walking stick, but after a while, the acids from your skin wear it down anyway, and it looks even worse with all the flaking and peeling and yellowing. After a few times of striping the clear-coat, cleaning the brass and re-coating it... I gave up and learned to love the patina :)

what about the firing buttons? I know there are probably a few vids on youtube etc. but given the computer at works firewall. i cant go see any videos. i dunno my button tends to get hot and i noticed some crud on it... that mod is due for an overall cleaning/soaking.

Would rubbing alcohol do the trick?

This may sound nuts, but I've cleaned the crud out of firing buttons of flashlights and similar items using tablet Denture Cleaner soak for 20-30 minutes to loosen the crud, and then an old toothbrush to clean the threading areas and crevices :) I also always soak or rinse in 90-100% alcohol to aid in water removal (removes mineral deposits left by air-drying just water rinses).

I don't know what it will do to brass or copper (discolorations), but it works well for aluminum and SS :) I wouldn't think it would damage brass/copper... but use at your own risk (or test a "real" copper penny or brass trinket)

You know it has really amazed me how little it takes to cause resistance in these mechanical. The brass on my button and the piece that contacts the battery looked great the other day. I did notice a small ring developing on the battery, the brass plate and the magnets. I took a pencil eraser to it and got rid of them. It made a BIG difference. I was shocked! I couldn't even see the ring good unless I tilted it just right under the light.

For my copper I use bartenders friend.

I totally disassemble the mod, give it a good shine. I then put a little noalox on the threads only before reassembling.

Some people say that noalox is bad, but I haven't had any issues.yet.

Flexible clearcoat I've seen some cats using this stuff. I can't speak from first hand experience but they seem to like it.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/101636524/protectaclear-protective-coating-jewelry

Edited by Tony Mike

thanks guys! im gonna look into all of these!

You know it has really amazed me how little it takes to cause resistance in these mechanical. The brass on my button and the piece that contacts the battery looked great the other day. I did notice a small ring developing on the battery, the brass plate and the magnets. I took a pencil eraser to it and got rid of them. It made a BIG difference. I was shocked! I couldn't even see the ring good unless I tilted it just right under the light.

Same here...i really need to give a thorough cleaning to my cartel... makes me sad lol but happy at the same time to rekindle with my hades